Lydia Ann born on 9/24/10 via VBAC

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On thursday, september 23, DH and I had a appt with the Peri to do a amnio to see if Lydia's Lungs were mature enough for an induction. They like whatever levels they are testing to be 55 or above. Lydia's were 74.7, so her induction was a go for Friday the 24th. When we got home from Sioux Falls we had to get the kids pack, ourselves packed. Then take the twins to DH's parent's house. Kaeden was going to be staying at our house with my Mom and Sister.

I chose to be induced with my VBAC, because I lived 2 hrs from the nearest hospital that did them. Ideally my Dr wanted me to go into labor on my own, but did not want me to drive 2 hrs while in labor to get to the hospital. It was my choice and I am very happy with the decision I made.

The morning of the 24th. DH and I got up around 4 to get ourselves ready to leave by 5. We were supposed to be at the hospital around 7 am. We got to the hospital right around 7 for registation and were in a room( #3647) shortly after 7:30.

The nurse got my all hooked up to the moniters and got my IV started and blood drawn. She actually got the IV in one poke, which was super exciting because no one has ever been able to get on IV in me on the first try.

The pit was started around 9:15 and shortly there after Dr. Van Erden came and broke my water. I was surpised that he didn't use the knitting needle looking thing, but a finger glove that had alittle hook on the end of it. He's wasn't for sure if it got it at first, but I moved around alittle.. and the fluided started gushing out. I called my Doula and she arrived about 10 am.

We walked the halls alot! But had to go back to my room after every 1 1/2 round because I had to change the itty bitty pad they gave me to catch the fluid. Seriously.. they were the same pads that they gave me after she was born. I asked for a depends and they just laughed. I ended up putting a towel under the pad so I could walk longer before having to change it.

It took me forever to get to 4 cm around 3pm. I did alitte of stand next to the bed leaning over the birthing ball swaying my hips. I was having a lot of pubic pressure. I didn't really feel alot of abdomenal pain with my contractions just tighting. My pain was pubic.. if felt like my crotch was going to fall off. (I had the same feeling when I was in labor with the twins). My doula suggested that maybe getting on the whirlpool tub might help with my pain management. So the nurse got the tub ready and I sat in it for about an hr (minus the jets, I tried it with them on.. but they way the jets were position, they pretty much hit my in the crotch.. so not comfortable) but setting in the warm water was very nice.

Around 5:30 pm I was checked and was only at a 6. By this time I was in some serious pain during my contractions. I was crying after them because they hurt so bad. I just could not work through them anymore knowing I still had 4 cm to go and it was taking so long. I asked for something to see if it would help take the edge off of the pain so that I could rest in between contractions (they were coming every 2-4 minutes). I was given Phentinal (sp?) and it helped a little.. but not much.. I think about 30 minutes or so later I asked for the epi.

After asking for the Epi.. it seemed like time stopped because it took the anisthesiologest FOREVER to get there. Once he was in the room. That took even longer. He had to ask all these questions. I just wanted to yell at him to ask me after he gave me the Epi.. I probably had 10 contractions before he go the Epi in. Thankfully he DID ask all of his questions, so he knew that I had had a previous reaction to an Epi. So he was extra careful finding were to place it and gave me a lower does then normal. I guess the average dosage is a 14, I got a 10. I could still move my feet and alittle bit of my legs. I felt tightening in my tummy but no pain.

After getting the Epi I was able to rest during the contractions and I seem to progress faster. Around 7:30 ish I was checked again and was 8/9 cm. I was checked again sometime after 8 and was at 10 cm but Lydia was still pretty High. The nurse had me to 3 sets of 3 pushes to see if it would help bring her down. She didn't really move with the pushes. The nurse called the Dr. and he said to let me Labor Down. So for about 1 1/2 hrs I just labored. When the nurse checked me again. Lydia was alot lower. So she had me to another practive push, then told me to stop. She called the Dr and the other nurses. They call came and started getting the room set up.

I asked for the mirror to watch Lydia being born. They got it into place then the Dr. told me to push.. I pushed (barely) and he told me to stop. I asked Why.. he said because her head was out :-) (he was blocking the mirror) Then he had me push again and out she came!!! (he moved so I was able to watch her come out) And RIGHT TO MY CHEST! It was AMAZING! Just AMAZING having her come right to my chest after her birth. I also only had a towel on because while the nurses were getting the room set up.. I throw up all over myself. SO the nurse asked if it was alright just to but a towel over. I was fine with that. Right after Lydia was born we had skin to skin contact. AMAZING! While I had Lydia on my chest the Dr had me push to deliever the placenta. He also had his hand up in there and felt around my C/S scar to make sure that it was still closed. It was :-)

Lydia was born on 9/24/10 at 10:24pm. She weighed 8lbs 2oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. Her head measured 14cm. Her Apgars were 8 and 9.

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
October 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations, Jara! VBAC, YAY! You give me hope! Thanks so much for sharing your birth story!

and introducing Julia Pearl
October 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your VBAC and new baby!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story, stories like these give me so much hope.

I'm surprised to hear your doc would do the induction. My peri told me they won't induce, they will only allow small amounts of pitocin if I go into labor on my own and need a little help. I was kind of sad to hear that and now I feel lots of stress over it. That's awesome that your doc allowed it and everything went well!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww....what a beautiful birth story. Thank you for sharing!

Congratulations on your sweet little girl and awesome VBAC!!!

October 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_baby View Post
Congrats on your VBAC and new baby!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story, stories like these give me so much hope.

I'm surprised to hear your doc would do the induction. My peri told me they won't induce, they will only allow small amounts of pitocin if I go into labor on my own and need a little help. I was kind of sad to hear that and now I feel lots of stress over it. That's awesome that your doc allowed it and everything went well!

The Peri's that I saw had no concern with inducing me. Ideally they wanted me to go on my own. But were very concerned with me going into labor then having to get my other kids to their places THEN drive the 2 hrs to the hospital. The Peri had looked my my c/s scar via u/s on several occasion and said the area looked nice and thick.. better actually then most that had not had a c/s. They started with a very low dose of pit.. then( according to the nurse) were only allowed to up the pit (slowly) to a 20. I was also on continous monitor during the whole process.

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
October 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
Congrats on your VBAC!

I just want to point out one thing though, a 20 dose of PIT is the max dose so if they got you up there, that is the most you can have and you are having contraction on top of contraction. The lowest dose is 1, most hospitals start at a 4 or 5. The "proper" way to do an induction is to raise the level by .5 every hour, though most hospitals raise the level by 1 every half hour.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
December 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Beautiful story! Congratulations!!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!
rate 6/5/2014: 164 rate 6/23/2014: 165 14w5d

February 5th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Mazzie's Avatar Super Mommy
Thx for sharing... this gives me hope for my induction this weekend. My dr has been very supportive but I was surprised that he was willing to induce me. I hope I will be allowed to walk around like u were.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search