Ds' birth story, primary c-section

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Tofu Bacon
I have a very easy pregnancy, with my only difficulty being 4 foot 10 and having a large baby! The plan was to have a totally natural birth...

My Feb 20th due date came and went, but I wasn't worried beause I had been having mild contractions for a couple of weeks already. Each OB visit was the same: lay around for the non-stress test, get checked, be told that I would go into labor any day now. Flash forward to March 4th. I was still walking around about 3cm dilated, but no contractions. The OBs at my office had been trying for over a week to talk me into an induction, but I really wanted a natural birth experience and didn't want to chance ds not being ready to come out yet. The OB ordered an ultrasound and estimated ds' weight to be about 9.5lbs. Given that he was estimated to be a large baby (especially considering that I have the body of an 11 year old) and I was already 12 days "past due" he was pushing me more toward a c-section over an induction because I "would probably need a c-section anyway". Neither sounded particularly appealing, so he compromised and scheduled a c-section for the following Tuesday, which would give me 4 more days for labor to start on its own.

The morning of my c-section (March 8th, 16 days past due) I woke up at 6am to take a shower and get ready for the hospital. On the walk to the bathroom I thought I pee'd my pants but that seemed weird because my bladder didn't feel full. I got to the bathroom and there was a trickle of liquid and some gelatinous stuff! I thought maybe my water had broke, but wasn't sure. I didn't know what to do, should I call the OB or just go to my c-section appointment since it was scheduled for 7:30am anyway? The one thing that never occured to me was to cancel and stay home until labor started on its own. Off to the hospital we went. With all of the commotion I didn't tell anyone that my water broke, plus ds' big coconut head plugged up the leak, so they got me all prepped for surgery. I remember feeling very cold and shivery after they gave me the antibiotics. The OB and anesthesiologist came in to talk with me; they were very nice so I felt at ease...as much as possible knowing that I would be sliced open while wide awake.

Into the OR I went. When the spinal was inserted I was in excrutiating pain; to this day I get the willies when I think about it. I felt all warm and numb instantly. The nurse lay me down on the table and got me hooked up to everything while the anesthesiologist kept me company. I remember turning to him, bursting into tears and telling him that I didn't want to do this anymore and I want to go home and let my baby come when he's ready. He kindly said that it was too late. Shortly after, the surgery began...then the nurse realized that dh was still in the hall waiting for them to give him the okay to come in. She brought him in, on the OTHER side of the curtain, which gave him an eye-full of my cut-open abdominal cavity. He looked pretty green. I lay back and "relaxed" and when I looked up I noticed that there was a metallic heating vent on the ceiling...I could see a reflection of my stomach cut open. I turned away so I wouldn't have to see anymore. Apparently I was leaking on the table becuase my OB leaned over and laughingly asked "So... when were you going tell me that your water broke?" I said "Uh, I guess now?"

A few minutes later I felt some tuggling and heard the OB say "Whoa, this little guy is surfing out!" and then I heard a little cry!! They moved the little bassinet next to dh and I so we could watch them get ds cleaned up, weighed and measured (8lb 14oz, 21.5 inches). I couldn't get over how plump he was! Dh got to cut the cord and was the first to hold ds. I had one arm free, so dh brought him around so I could "hold" him. I remember ds was wailing and carrying on, but as soon as I kissed him and whispered to him he stopped crying right away. After I was all stitched up they wheeled me to recovery, and I was very upset that they were bringing ds straight to the nursery; apparently hospsital policy states that all babies born over 8.5 lbs need to be taken to have their blood sugar monitored. What they DIDN'T mention was that they would be sneaking him some formula, too. Way to get breastfeeding off to sh!tty start

I was in recovery for about 2 hours while we waited for a bed to open up. We still hadn't had ds brought back to us. They wheeled me to my room and I asked when they would bring ds, since I still hadn't held him or been able to nurse him. The nurse said they would bring him right in. Two hours later I start freaking out and wanted to know where our baby was. Dh was getting worried too, so he took off to the nursery to find out why they wouldn't give us our baby. Turns out there was a shift change and the nurses forgot to bring him out. Finally I had my baby in my arms. I won't go into the rest of my hospital stay because it wasn't pretty and involved several complaints (sneaking ds formula, vaccinating him without our consent...the list goes on)
October 10th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow! im so sorry those things happened to you..I cant believe they just "forgot" to bring you your baby and snuck formula...I hate ultrasounds and how they determine the weight of our babies!...I also think its strange that bigger babies have to be checked for sugar...my son was 8 pounds 2.5 oz and never left my side and was in recovery with me...I hope you get your VBAC and dont have to go through any of this again!...couldnt they of checked him over after? that way your dh could of went?

October 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DD was 8 lbs 11 ozs. I don't think they checked her blood sugar. That is silly.

I am sorry about your experience. I hope you get your VBAC!

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search