Shadows

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Castaway
Is there a way to make a realistic shadow with a cut out? Like say I have a cut out of my child sitting down and I want a shadow behind him, outline of his body, is that possible? How do I do it? Thanx.

April 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, here's how I do it. I duplicate the layer and move the shadow behind it. Then I select the layer (control click in the layer palette for PS) and fill it with black. Then I do a gaussian blur on the shadow layer. I kind of play around with it to see how much a blur it needs. A lot of times I will drop the opacity down to like 40 or 50% on the shadow layer. Then to get it placed right I will go to edit > transform > distort (like you do to scale things or rotate except) and use the distort tool and grab the layer on the left and drag it all the way to the right so it kind of flips it. Then I will use the distort again and drag it down until it looks like a realistic shadow. I hope that I made sense with this.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
April 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I'm not sure if you can do this with all versions of Photoshop, but what I do is add the drop shadow with the Layer Styles, then right-click on the drop shadow on the layers palette and click "Create Layer" It puts the shadow on it's own layer. You can then move it around, add more blur, adjust the opacity of it without changing the rest of the drop shadows on your canvas. If this is not an option in your version of PS, then the way Teresa explained it is the way to go.
April 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Castaway
Thank you both for the help. I will try both ways and see which works best.

April 18th, 2008, 04:07 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
this is a good question bc i was wondering the same.. is there anyway one of you girls, WHEN you have time bc i know you girls get busy so no rush at all.. but when you have time to make the picture shots things for this.. i just am not understanding by reading it i never use the layer pallete, im glad with photoshop it does it on its own for me lol.. but as far as clicking around in that area forget it lol!.. thanks girls!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search