Realistic Shadows Pt. 1

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Okay, this first lesson goes over how to put a realistic 3-D shadow on a picture like this:

1. Open the picture you want to use and put it in your work area then tilt it to the angle you want it to be at.

2. Next you need to duplicate your picture.

3. Either create a new layer or use your shape tool and create a black area over your duplicate and then clip the black into it then merge the black and duplicate together.

4. Go to filters>blur>gaussian blur to blur the black duplicate. (I vary the amount for each thing so I suggest using your own judgment. However, I used 10 for this lesson)

5. Move your shadow layer under your original picture.

6. Select the shadow layer, go to your work area and click the circle that allows you to rotate your picture. (DO NOT ROTATE YET!) Once its clicked right click it (MAC users: CTRL+Click) and select skew.

This lets you pull your corners at angle thus skewing your picture. Each time you do it for an object you will probably use a different amount... until you get to a further lesson )Skew it until it is at an amount going away from your picture that you are satisfied with. (looking at screen: for mine I pulled the bottom left corner up and behind the pic the bottom right corner up and away from the pic, for both top corners I just pulled them away and down.)

7. Resize and rotate your shadow until the bottom of the shadow is not tilted but vertical and the shadow is about 1/2 the size of the picture.

8. Go to opacity and lower it to the amount you're comfortable with. I tend to go with somewhere between 30-50. I used 50 for this example.

9. Lastly select your original pic in the layers, the go to edit>stroke (outline) selection select inside and white for your color and set it to about 5.

Your final product should look something like this:

Let me know if you have any questions.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
July 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
dorkymommy
you're my hero! THANK YOU!!!!!
July 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Zarziza's Avatar I have ooodles of IT!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Zarziza
These are gr8 trish! works pretty much tghe same in PSP. I can put one together for you.

July 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz1996 View Post
These are gr8 trish! works pretty much tghe same in PSP. I can put one together for you.
Naz, I'd love to see one..I'm computer dumb sometimes when it comes to converting things from other programs to PSP.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
July 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Zarziza's Avatar I have ooodles of IT!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Zarziza
will do hun.

October 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Hmm....I'm not as satisfied with the way this one turned out (I had some trouble with the rotating and skewing of the shadow), but here it is nonetheless:

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search