Realistic Shadows Pt. 2

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
(if you have not, please do lesson 1 before trying lesson 2. lesson 1 can be found here:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...ws-pt-1-a.html (Realistic Shadows Pt. 1))

Lesson number two goes over how to create a shadow that appears to be laying on the ground away from a person like this:

**note, I didn't use the best pic, but you still get the idea**

1. Create your cutout. I recommend using one that has almost a complete whole body. Those work best, generally sitting or standing get the best results. (*Remember always do your sharpening before cutting out your picture.)

2. Clean up your rough edges and cut out any areas you missed.
3. Duplicate your layer, clip black into the duplicate, merge them, and rename it shadow.

4. Select the circle in the work area that lets you rotate the shadow and right click it. Chose skew. Skew it until it is at a slight angle from the cutout.

5. Flip and rotate your shadow until it lines up with the part of the body you want to connect it to. Then move the shadow layer under the cutout layer.

6. Right click the circle again and this time chose Distort. (its under skew) Distort the shadow (by pulling on the little boxes placed on the corners and middles of lines) until you get it at the angle you want it.
7. Realign the shadow and connecting point. You may need to rotate the picture some to match them up.

8. Lower your shadow to somewhere between 30-50 opacity and you're done!

Let me know if you have any questions.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
October 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I'm not really too satisfied with how this one turned out, either. I'm just having a really hard time with the skewing/distorting step (that seems to be the part where an artistic eye is actually needed, which of course I am woefully lacking). But at least I did figure out how to duplicate my image and fill it with color, so that should come in useful later. Here is my image:

Thanks again for the awesome tutorial!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search