Photoshop Lesson 3

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Save these photos to your computer

Doll picture 1

Doll picture 2

Doll picture 3

Doll picture 4

We are going to make this siggy!

How to cut out the doll. (There is more than one way to do this but I am going to show you how to do this with the lasso tool. I think this will probably be easiest for beginners and will be the easiest to make a tutorial for all three programs)

Use the lasso tool to trace around the photo. (You can pick whichever doll you want to to cut out. If you hold down the alt key as you trace it will keep your place. You can also use the magnetic lasso to trace around it. Just right click on the lasso and select magnetic lasso. A lot of people like using the magnetic lasso but I prefer the regular lasso. Beginners may find the magnetic lasso easier. Decide for yourself which you prefer.

Double click when you get your lasso drawn. This takes practice and you may need a few tries at it. If you get too much of the background that's okay. We will clean up the edges later.

Then copy and paste your doll into a new file sized around 400x300 pixels. You can close your cut out doll once you have it pasted and are happy with how it looks.

Scale your doll down to about 60 percent. (Look at lesson 1 if you don't remember how to do it).

Now you will want to blow up your image so we can clean up any edges. Go to View>> Then Zoom In.

Clean up the edges of your cut out photo with the eraser tool.

You can adjust the brush size to make the eraser really small to get any details. If its not perfect that's okay.

You can then use the blur tool if there are any edges that look pixelated. Use a small brush to go over any imperfections. (Select the brush at the top the same way as you did with the eraser)

Zoom out or go to View Actual Pixels to get your image back to normal size. Once you have this done be sure to save your work before you move to the next step. Save this file and we will come back to it in a few.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Part 2 of Lesson

Open one of your other doll photos. We are going to crop each photo to be the exact same size.

Set the width and height to around 200 px. Drag the crop tool across your photo to crop around the area of your photo you want cropped. You can make this larger or smaller. The crop will be automatically adjusted to be 200 px by 200 px.
MAKE SURE TO TYPE IN the px otherwise it will crop it in inches!
(If you are using your own photos and plan to save for the web make sure to put 72 in the box for resolution).
Then double click to complete your crop. Do this on each of your three photos. You can keep them open and minimize them.
**You can also resize your photo and then crop it if you find that easier.

Open a new file and size it around 615 pixels by 210 pixels. Then drag (or copy and paste) your photos into your new file. Position them side by side leaving a little space in between. Save this file in case you need it (I have learned the hard way to keep saved files in case I mess up so I don't have to redo everything)

Go to Select>> Then Select All>> Then Edit>> Copy Merged (copy merged will copy all of your layers merged together)

You will now want to open the file you saved in part one and paste your merged copy of the three dolls into the file from part one.

Scale down the three dolls to about sixty percent. And position it behind the doll (that you cut out in part one) so that she can "sit" on the photos. (You may have to refer back to lesson one on how to arrange layers or ask us for help)

June 21st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Part 3

Add a stroke around the photos. I used a stroke sized 1 pixel and made the color a very, very pale grey. (You don't have to do this but it will help to make the photo not blend with the white background).

Add a slight drop shadow to your photo. (Don't get carried away with the drop shadow) See Lesson One for how to add a stroke and drop shadow.

Now we want to make the photo look like it is flat. Go to Edit>> Transform>>Then Skew

Then you will want to drag the corners to distort the photo.

You may have to play around with this to get it to look the way you want it to. It's pretty easy though.

Once you finish this all you need to add is your text. You can choose whatever font you want. Make your font pink (or choose your own favorite color) and add a stroke with a lighter shade of pink around it. Add a slight drop shadow (Please see Lesson 1 for this).

Tada! Your done!

June 21st, 2006, 09:13 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, hope you girls enjoy this one! I think it turned out really cute!

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 22nd, 2006, 06:45 AM
IBake2Boys+1Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via MSN to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Yahoo to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Skype™ to IBake2Boys+1Girl
That is a great tutorial! I can't wait to get home and try this tonight after the baby goes to bed!

Marie {mom to}
Ethan (7), Patrick (4), Emma (2)
Happily Married to Nathan (4.28.07)
June 23rd, 2006, 07:26 AM
joyfulmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Me too! Thank you!

Brooke
mom to...
Mariah
Savannah
JJ
Allison
June 29th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons

I love it! LOL

June 29th, 2006, 06:49 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Great job!!!

Teresa

July 9th, 2006, 09:16 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine turned out a little different BUT I did get the jist of most of it. The only problem I had was getting the 3 smaller pictures fused together. Never did figure that out. I'll try again soon. Here is what I came up with:

July 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Mine turned out a little different BUT I did get the jist of most of it. The only problem I had was getting the 3 smaller pictures fused together. Never did figure that out. I'll try again soon. Here is what I came up with:

[/b]

You did a great job with this. The cutting out looks perfect! And you definitely have the jist of it. I will have to play around with PSP and see if I can help more.

August 3rd, 2006, 10:39 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
August 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
It's really close crunchymama! I am sorry, didn't know what your first name was. I try hard to get people's names right.

Teresa

August 13th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy

Do I Pass!!???!?!?!

Katie

Thank you Jacquie for the Baby love siggie!
August 13th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:

Do I Pass!!???!?!?!

Katie[/b]
Looks great!
August 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used my own pics, but what do you guys think?

August 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
It looks like you are getting the hang of it!

Teresa

September 12th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to liltxmomma Send a message via MSN to liltxmomma
this si my first ever attempt at a siggy...what do you think? what did i do wrong?

ok why are teh sides cut off? ugh. and just when i thought i had done it right...

September 13th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Good job. My guess is that the sides are cut off because your canvas was smaller than the size of the pictures. You can increase your canvas size by going to Image>Canvas Size and just increase the pixel width and height.
September 17th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Mommy2Evan
This is what I came up with. I'm not sure if it's ok.

September 18th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Quote:
This is what I came up with. I'm not sure if it's ok.

[/b]
Nice job!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search