how do you 'fade' a background photo?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to liltxmomma Send a message via MSN to liltxmomma
I have been trying and trying to figure out how to 'fade' a picture in the backgroud...so that there is no 'edge', just like dissovles into white, or whatever color the backgroudn is. does anyone know how to do that?

thanks!

October 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Adjust the opacity of the picture. It's on the layers pallete. Just lower it till it looks like you want it.
October 17th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are a few different ways to do this. I know that some of the girls use feathering. I'll post how I do it, and you can decide what is easiest for you.

1. Select the Marquee tool (choose Elliptical Marquee if you want it to fade in a circular/oval shape, or the Rectangular Marquee if you want it to fade in a square/rectangular shape). On the toolbar at the top, make sure that the tool is set to "New Selection".
2. Click and drag the mouse on your photo to make your selection. You can use the arrow keys to move your selection around in order to center.
3. At the bottom of the Layers palette, click the "Add Layer Mask" button. Your photo will look as though everything around the selected area has been erased, but don't worry, the next step will clear everything up.
4. Click Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur from the menus at the top. Play with the radius until you get the amount of fade that you want. If you are seeing the hard edges of the photograph, either reduce the radius, or go back and make sure that your marquee selection is farther away from the edges of the photograph.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
October 17th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
There are a few different ways to do this. I know that some of the girls use feathering. I'll post how I do it, and you can decide what is easiest for you.

1. Select the Marquee tool (choose Elliptical Marquee if you want it to fade in a circular/oval shape, or the Rectangular Marquee if you want it to fade in a square/rectangular shape). On the toolbar at the top, make sure that the tool is set to "New Selection".
2. Click and drag the mouse on your photo to make your selection. You can use the arrow keys to move your selection around in order to center.
3. At the bottom of the Layers palette, click the "Add Layer Mask" button. Your photo will look as though everything around the selected area has been erased, but don't worry, the next step will clear everything up.
4. Click Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur from the menus at the top. Play with the radius until you get the amount of fade that you want. If you are seeing the hard edges of the photograph, either reduce the radius, or go back and make sure that your marquee selection is farther away from the edges of the photograph.[/b]
Dang, I totally misread her post. Thanks for getting it right, Jacquie!
October 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Dang, I totally misread her post. Thanks for getting it right, Jacquie![/b]
LOL Everybody calls different techniques different names, I totally see why you answered the way that you did!
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
December 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
I did this earlier and now I can't remember how I did it. I'm using PSE. I know I never found anything that said "Add Layer Mask," but I don't recall what I did instead. Can anyone help?

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
December 1st, 2006, 05:04 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, here is how I do it. I select the area that I want to keep and then hit select inverse to select the area I want faded. Then I go to Feather and feather it. I will pick a really high number like 25 or so, but you can play around with that. if I want a big fade. Then hit delete. Sometimes I do it twice if it doesn't fade enough for my liking. Hope that helps.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Jaquie! I have been wondering how to do that too, I was using the lasso tool before.

December 2nd, 2006, 06:33 AM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Quote:
Ok, here is how I do it. I select the area that I want to keep and then hit select inverse to select the area I want faded. Then I go to Feather and feather it. I will pick a really high number like 25 or so, but you can play around with that. if I want a big fade. Then hit delete. Sometimes I do it twice if it doesn't fade enough for my liking. Hope that helps.

Teresa[/b]
Thanks Teresa! That was much easier than the way I did it. Still not sure what I did, but I know it was much more complicated than that.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
January 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
MandieKay
where can i find the marquee tool or how to feather the photo in psp XI???
January 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I only have PSP X, but I assume it is in the same places as PSP X. The marquee tool is the same as the lasso tool or the selection tool.

As far as feathering goes, once you make your selection go to the top and look for "Selections" then Invert so you are now selecting the area you want to be gone. Then with the area still selected go back to the Selections menu > go to Modify> then Feather. You'll have to play around with the number to figure out how much fading you want. After you hit feather. Then just hit delete on your keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Teresa

January 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM
MandieKay
Thanks Teresa...I think i got it now...yay...
January 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM
MandieKay
I use to be able to do this but for some reason it isnt working now...
Every time i go to select the part i want to feather it is selecting the background instead of
leaving white instead of fading???? Anyone know what i am doing wrong???
January 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Did you remember to invert the selection first?

Teresa

January 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
MandieKay
Quote:
Did you remember to invert the selection first?

Teresa[/b]

LOL okay this is what i did.... I open my picture. I used the marquee tool to select my sister
and her husband then i went to selections/ invert....then selections/modify/feather
then i hit the delete button....What happened after that was two things....Because i had
tried twice...

The first time i did that i tried to copy n paste the feathered photo into a new document but
all that showed up was the background....

The second time i tried i copy n paste the same thing but there was just white all over my photo...
I dont get why it does that.
January 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, I gotcha. If you are going to copy and paste it into a new document DON'T inverse it. Just select it then go and hit modify > feather. Feather it and then copy and paste it.

January 26th, 2007, 07:40 PM
MandieKay
Quote:
Ok, I gotcha. If you are going to copy and paste it into a new document DON'T inverse it. Just select it then go and hit modify > feather. Feather it and then copy and paste it.[/b]

Alrighty let me try that....

Thanks for your help...

Does this look right? I mean this siggy??? and my sister and her hubby's pic. I didnt fade it because
of the problems but i am going back to try and fade it a little

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search