Help! PSE5, I can't figure out anything!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to BahamaMama2B Send a message via MSN to BahamaMama2B
I really would like to be able to do siggies and such but I am having a heck of time with this! I downloaded the trial version of Photoshop Elements 5 and I'm trying to follow the lessons and I can't past lesson 1.

I'm guessing the instructions are for an older version, but I should still be able to follow them, right?

Hopefully someone can help me. This is what I have done so far...step in and tell me what I am doing wrong.

First off, this is going to be really dumb, but when I open PSE I have to choose "edit and enhance pictures" or "make photo creations"...does it matter?

Lesson 1: I can crop the pic fine, the problem I am running into is the next step where I am supposed to duplicate the layer.

So, I crop the bear and then I go to file, new, blank page and I size it at 600x400pixels, no problems. But, now it says to go to the layer pallet and right click on the bear, etc. etc. Well, the only thing in my layer pallet is the blank page (it is there prior to making the blank page). The bear is still in the photobin below, but if I right click on it there duplicate layer isn't a choice, only duplicate. If I regular click on it so its in my view window and then do the right click I can do the duplicate layer but now my layer pallet has 2 pics of the bear and still no blank page (which is no in my photobin).

How do I get both the blank page AND the bear pic into the photo pallet? I know this is probably the dumbest question in the world and so simple but I just can't get it!

Help!!!

My blog
December 11th, 2006, 06:33 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
You can also go to your bear and hit select > all and then edit > copy and then edit > paste and paste it into your new document.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 11th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The instructions are for PSE 4.0, and while I haven't used PSE 5 yet, you should still be able to follow the tutorials.

Quote:
First off, this is going to be really dumb, but when I open PSE I have to choose "edit and enhance pictures" or "make photo creations"...does it matter?[/b]
What you choose here depends on what you would like to do. If you want to start with a blank document, you would choose "make photo creations". If you want to edit an existing photo, you would choose "edit and enhance pictures".

Quote:
So, I crop the bear and then I go to file, new, blank page and I size it at 600x400pixels, no problems. But, now it says to go to the layer pallet and right click on the bear, etc. etc. Well, the only thing in my layer pallet is the blank page (it is there prior to making the blank page).[/b]
Focus needs to be on the original bear document before you will be able to see its layers in the layers palette. If focus is on the new empty document, the layers palette will reflect the layers of that document, not the bear document. Switch back to the bear document so that it has focus, and then right-click on the bear layer in the Layers palette.

Quote:
The bear is still in the photobin below, but if I right click on it there duplicate layer isn't a choice, only duplicate. If I regular click on it so its in my view window and then do the right click I can do the duplicate layer but now my layer pallet has 2 pics of the bear and still no blank page (which is no in my photobin).

How do I get both the blank page AND the bear pic into the photo pallet? I know this is probably the dumbest question in the world and so simple but I just can't get it![/b]
The question isn't dumb. It's important that you understand the interface of the program in order to understand what is happening in each step of the tutorial. I don't know what you are referring to when you say "photobin". In PSE, you can have many documents open at one time, but only one document can have focus at a time. The desired outcome of this step in the lesson is to have one document that has a single blank layer in it, and one document that has 2 bear layers in it. If you read on in that paragraph of the tutorial, she says that you didn't *need* to do that step, it was just to show you how to duplicate a layer. If you find that you are still unable to duplicate the layer, follow the alternate instructions.

Does that help?
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
December 30th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I have a question about this too.. I'm stuck on the drop shadows. I can't find a pallette called "styles and effects" I have "artwork and effects" though. I have PSE 5 as well.

DOH! Found it.. have to click on the weird star burst thing right under "artwork and effects" *slaps head* LOL!!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

December 30th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Of course I have another question now..

When I click "soft edge" it gives me a big shadow. How do I make it smaller?

This is what I got. I didn't add the drop shadow to the text because it ended up really big like the drop shadow around the bear image. ack- help!! lol Besides that, I think I got it

ETA: I guess I'm kind of answering my own questions SORRY!! I think I figured this out too.. under artwork and effects, you have to go to Special Effects (the starburst pic) then go to photo effect not layer styles. Drop Shadow is one of the options

UGH ok it's not so simple.. it is still looking like this:

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

January 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Tash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Tash
I just got PSE5 too, and I am having all these issues.

I was so excited to make some cool siggys, and I am a really quick computer learner, but I am like, DUH?!?!

I guess just trial and error?

ETA: I was using the directions for PSP, and found the one for PSE. BIG difference. Thanks.
January 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Give me some time I am going to see if I can download the trial of PSE5 and try it out. If I can get it, I will see what I can do to help you all out.

Teresa

January 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I posted how to do it here

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=446569

Teresa

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search