Leather text and animation

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Okay the text part is easy. I am going to do that first and then try to type out the steps for animation. That may be more confusing for me to explain.

Leather text

1- Pick a large thick font

2- Go to Filter>> Artistic>>Plastic wrap

You will be prompted to rasterize the text. Just click okay. (Once you rasterize it you can't edit it so make sure that you have it the size you want and it says what you want it to say)

Play around with the sliders. I set everything pretty high.

3- Then just add a stroke around the text and add an inner bevel and drop shadow.

Now for the animation. This may take me a bit to type out. (I messed up all my screenshots so I have to go redo them all!!!)

March 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Animation

1- To edit in ImageReady click on the check mark at the bottom of the toolbar.

2- Then make sure the animation palette is displayed. If you don't see it go to Window (at the top) and click on animation.

Duplicate the frame.

3- Make sure propigate frame change is unchecked.

March 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
4- Duplicate the text layer. You will make one that is going to be transparent and leave the other alone.

5- Okay now you have two layers of the same text. I hid one layer so you don't see it. To hide a layer just click on the little eyeball on the layer palette. (I just did this so you can see what the bottom layer of text look like. The top text is still the same. Take the bottom layer and change the blending mode to screen. This will make it transparent. Once you are sure it looks right just click on the eyeball next to the layer that is hidden and make it revisible.

March 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
6- Now duplicate the layer again. So now you will have two solid text and one transparent. The top layer you want to keep visible, the layer underneath you want to hide.

7- Add a layer mask to the top layer.

8- The layer mask is great to erase with. You can erase something and then if you don't like it you can delete the mask and the layer will stay the same. To use it just use the paint brush. You should have the default colors black foreground and white background. Pick a large soft eraser brush and then you can start to erase the top layer of text so that the transparent layer shows through.

March 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
9- Duplicate the second frame of animation so you will have three frames of animation now.

10- Then you are going to repeat the steps from step 6.
(I am showing it again so you don't get confused)

11- Keep the top layer visible and hide the layer underneath so that the only layer visible is the top layer and the very bottom layer of text (the one that is transparent). Just like you did before.

12. Then erase a little more of the text using the paint brush. Keep repeating these steps until you have erased the entire top layer. You can do this with as many frames as you want. I try to make several frames so the animation doesn't look choppy.
March 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
13- Then you can adjust the speed of your animation. I set the first frame and last frame to 1 second but you can play around with that.

To preview it click on the arrow button. That will play your animation so you can see what it will look like. If you like it click save optimized as and save it as a .gif file.

If I was confusing or you need help let me know and I will try to answer.

Here is the psd file if anyone wants to look at it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search