Text on a Path

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I'm gonna try to finish up the PSP one tonight as well, but it may have to wait till tomorrow.

We're gonna learn to make this siggy, putting the text on a curved path like "mommy to Daniel" in this siggy.

First thing I did was create a new document and typed out my text. You can use shapes to do this too, but I'm just using text in this example. I'm going to assume you already know how to do certain things so, if you don't know how to do something let me know and I'll go into more detail.

Here's what I started with. I just typed my name, made my A a little bigger and did the glass text effect. You can do it however you'd like.

Now, duplicate the letter (or shape) that you want to put the curved text over. If you are using a letter, you'll want to rasterize it first. To do that, right click on the copy and click Rasterize Type. Then make your text layer invisible and keep the newly rasterized copy visable.

Using the magic wand tool, select outside of the letter. Then go to Select>Inverse so that the outside of your letter is selected like in this example.

Click on the Paths palette (next to layers).

Then click on the little circle with lines going around. I've pointed to it in this example.

When you hover your mouse over it, it will say "Make Work Path from Selection". When you click it, you'll notice that your dancing ants turn to a solid line. Don't worry, that won't be visable in the finished siggy.

Choose your text tool and hover your mouse over the area where you want to put your text. You'll notice that your text cursor changes slightly. When it looks like the example below, click and then type your text.

You can add a stroke, drop shadow, etc., change the color, size, font. Then add your pictures and you've completed your siggy.
March 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Ohh thanks for that I was wondering how to do it
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

April 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Rachel - when I get to the point where my cursor is supposed to change it won't. If I just start typing it does it in a straight line. Is it my version of PS?

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

April 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Did you make sure you converted your selection to a path? If you're certain you did that and your text tool doesn't change, I'll need to do some research to make sure you can do it in your version. You have 6.0, correct?
April 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Yeah, I clicked on the circle with the arrows, but my cursor never changed and it only typed in a straight line. Yep - 6.0 for me.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

April 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure you need to have PS CS or better for this feature to work. I'll do a little more research, but that's what I'm seeing so far.
April 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Rachel - when I get to the point where my cursor is supposed to change it won't. If I just start typing it does it in a straight line. Is it my version of PS?[/b]
I get that too. ive got ps 7

April 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you need CS or better to do the text on a path. CS is version 8, I believe.
July 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
aprilmiracle's Avatar Single Mom to Birk
Well that sux, I can't get it either and now i see it might be because of my version is 7 I have to look into getting the newer version!!

June 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
Regular
I figured our writing on a path, but I'd like to know how you made it a glass effect! please & thank you!

Silas David : Due 11/6/09
June 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanwow View Post
I figured our writing on a path, but I'd like to know how you made it a glass effect! please & thank you!
here ya go...
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...lass-text.html (Glass Text)

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
October 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I had a lot of trouble with this one on the step where you said "use your magic wand tool." Where is the magic wand tool? I can't find it. I can select my letter using just the quick selection tool, but it's very 'loose,' not precise around the edges like yours is. After I did the selection I could follow the rest of the steps okay, but I'd like to know how to make my selection 'tighter.' Can anyone help?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
If you click on the quick selection tool, there is a drop box. Just click Magic Wand tool.

October 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM
It's not there for me. I've got Healing Brush, Magnetic Lasso, Crop 4 in by 6 in, Crop 5 in by 3 in....a long list, but no "Magic Wand." It's okay, though, I think I can fix the problem anyway if I just blow up the size really big.

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 28th, 2009, 07:51 AM
What version of Photoshop do you use? The magic wand tool should be in the same place as the quick selection tool. Here's a screenshot:

October 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Wow, you're right! Apparently I just wasn't clicking hard enough...I feel so dumb now. Seriously, I had tried clicking there probably ten or fifteen times with no luck.

Thanks for your help!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm glad you got it now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search