"Bling" Photoshop tutorial

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2008, 08:03 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Okay since some people have asked me how I do my "bling" I decided to put it in a lesson. This is for Photoshop but if you would like to do this in other programs I *think* it can be modified pretty easily. You may want to do some of the blinkie school lessons before attempting this if you have never done animation.

I have two different animations going on with this siggy. If you don't want to do both you can just leave out the grid I made and the animation for it.

(You probably want to click on this to see the full screen view)

You can see my layer palette here. If you look at the layer palette you can see the grid layer (I just drew that using a small paint brush and drawing straight lines with the grid). Then above that I have a layer called "glitter one", "glitter two" and "glitter three". Those are going to be where the animation takes place. Above Daniel's name you will see three layers called "bling one", "bling two" and "bling three". I always name my animation layers so I can keep them straight.

Here is another screen shot. I removed all the other layers so you could see what the "glitter animation looked like and the bling animation looked like. It is hard to see what is going on with it with all the layers visible.

There are two layers here. One is the little dots and the other is the stars. What I did with the "glitter" layer was I just took a really small white paint brush and placed dots randomly around the corners of the grid I made. So when it is animated it looks like the grid glitters.

For the bling I took a star brush I made. You can use my brush if you would like.
Just save this star to your computer and the to make it a brush go to edit>>Define Brush Preset and it will turn it into a brush you can use.

Then I took the star brush (make a new layer first) and then I placed the star brush sized at around 20 or 25 pixels and scattered it around Daniel's name. I usually try to get them around the edges of the letters so you can see them better. I resized the brush down to about 15 pixels and added some smaller sparkles.

I made three layers of each type of animation. Each layer I just scattered the brush around a little differently. Now sometimes I find that i have to go and delete the layer and try it again if it doesn't look so great when I animate it. It just takes practice.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Then when I am ready to animate it I click at the little icon at the bottom to edit in Image Ready. You can also go to Edit at the top and edit in image ready. I think if you have a newer version of CS it has the animation built in.

*Modifying this for GIMP or other programs. I am not sure about every program but I think they are similar to GIMP in how they animate. Someone can write a new lesson for the other programs if you want. But in GIMP you can't animate just a layer. You have to have one flattened image. So all you need to do is copy and paste each frame into it's own file and save it. So you would have three separate flattened images. Then you can just animate the three images. I hope that makes sense.

When you animate this all you need to do is for each frame make one layer visible and the other two invisible by clicking on the eyeball in the layer palette.

Whenever I get my image opened in Image Ready I always go and make sure there isn't a little check next to "Propigate frame one changes". If you don't do this every change you make on frame one will be propigated to the other frames and it will mess up your animation. (Sometimes when I use this if I want to add something new to my animation and make a change on all the frames but I usually don't like any changes to be propigated.)

Once I do this. I just set up my animation. Duplicate your frame.

Now you will have two frames that look exactly the same. Go to your layer palette and make "glitter two" visible and the other two glitter layers invisible. Make your "bling two" visible and the other two invisble.

Then duplicate frame two and change frame three so that "glitter three" and "bling three" are visible and the others are invisble.

You can play around with the speed by clicking on the arrow. I changed mine to .5 seconds. Then to save just go to Save Optimized As.

Here is the finished product.

I hope this was not confusing.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 14th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Really cool Patty! I'm going to have to give this one a try!
February 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
ShanMarie's Avatar Is it spring yet?
That is awesome!! Thanks!
Preston-3
Cameron-1

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search