Clipping masks (Cutting things into shapes)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
A lot of girls want to know how to do this and it is very useful for making scrapbook sigs. I use clipping masks a lot. You can cut things out without using clipping masks but they look so much cleaner this way.

First thing you want to do is draw your shape. (Make sure it is on it's own layer)

I used the heart shape from the custom shapes that come with photoshop. But you can also use this over other pictures or if you made a really great torn paper in another siggy and want to use the shape again, you can just use the clipping mask with another paper.

You will see three layers in the screen shot. The background layer, one with the shape and one with the layer I want cut into the shape. Make sure you place your paper above the shape. Then go to Layer and Create Clipping Mask. (Or you can just hit Control and G at the same time)

Then you will see it creates a clipping mask

Then all you have to do is merge down. (Or Control and E at the same time)

Very easy. If you don't like this paper just put another paper over the top of this and do a clipping mask again.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Castaway
My clipping mask is MIA, I am unsure whether to or

February 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Try using Group with Previous or (Control + G) it should do the same thing. I know this works with PS 7 because I used to do this with PS 6.

February 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Castaway
Okay, how do I get the layer, background and shape all in that one layer panel? I tried the group with previous and it didn't appear to do anything different I could see. I will have to mess with it some more. Sorry if I am being a pain. Hey maybe you could just fly over here on your magic carpet and show me? LOL

February 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
There definitely are other ways to do it if you don't have the clipping mask. I'm not sure what version of PS you're using, but it might not have it if it's an earlier version.

What you can do is this:

On your background layer, add a new layer and draw your heart or start or whatever shape you'd like. Then you can paste or drag over the scrapbook paper or whatever you'd like to put into the shape you've made. Set that layer invisible for the time being by clicking on the eye next to it on the layer palette. Then choose your magic wand tool, and being certain that you're working on your shape layer, click on the shape so that you see the dancing ants around it.

Now, make your paper layer visible again, and select that layer. You'll still see the dancing ants in the shape of your shape. Go to Select>Inverse and then just hit your delete key. It will delete everything except the what's inside the shape.

Click ctrl+D to deselect and then you can either delete your original shape or merge the two layers together.

Let me know if you need screen shots for that and I can try to get them tomorrow.
February 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I am sure that there is a clipping mask with PS 7 because I used to use it with PS 6. I sure wish Jeremy's computer hadn't bit the dust because he had PS 6 on there. You can use the magic wand but it doesn't not create as clean of a shape. Can you show me a screen shot of what happens when you do control g. I just want to see what is happening.

February 17th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Castaway
Rawisner, when I try your way and get to the part where I pick my wand it won't let me, it says that the target is a fill layer. I am so challenged with these cut outs.

Patty, I will get screen shots here shortly.

February 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Castaway
The only thing that I see that visibly changes is the arrow pointing down beside the shape layer thingy. I added a arrow pointing to it.

February 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
When you select your shape tool, make sure that you have this selected, where I've circled. You should have the third one over selected.

February 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Quote:
The only thing that I see that visibly changes is the arrow pointing down beside the shape layer thingy. I added a arrow pointing to it.

[/b]
I think the problem is you are grouping it with the white background layer. Make sure you are on the very top layer when you hit control g (or group with previous). You definitely have the clipping mask feature there. I can tell by looking at your layer palette. See where the arrow is pointing down. That means it is grouping with the layer below it. It took me a while to get the hang of it. It works the reverse of how you might think.

Quote:
Rawisner, when I try your way and get to the part where I pick my wand it won't let me, it says that the target is a fill layer. I am so challenged with these cut outs.

[/b]
Ah, I think this might be the problem. After you create your shape go to Layer>> Then rasterize shape. I don't know why I didn't think to mention it. Do that first and then do the clipping mask (or the magic wand).

February 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I think the problem is you are grouping it with the white background layer. Make sure you are on the very top layer when you hit control g (or group with previous). You definitely have the clipping mask feature there. I can tell by looking at your layer palette. See where the arrow is pointing down. That means it is grouping with the layer below it. It took me a while to get the hang of it. It works the reverse of how you might think.

Quote:

[/b]
Ah, I think this might be the problem. After you create your shape go to Layer>> Then rasterize shape. I don't know why I didn't think to mention it. Do that first and then do the clipping mask (or the magic wand).
[/b]
That was the first thing I saw Patty. Also, you need to make your top layer visible too.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 18th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Castaway
OMG!

First I opened the new background, then I clicked new layer, drew the shape, opened the paper/picture and drag and dropped it, then hid it, hit group with previous, it didn't appear anything had happened so I clicked the shape then back to the paper/pic and there was the shape completely cut out! Then I hit the delete background and voila! Oh and Rawisner, I had to change to the third thingy like you told me to, I didn't have to rasterize anything though. I can't believe I finally did it! Thank you so much for helping me guys! One headache I don't have to worry about anymore. LOL

Can you tell me though, is it possible for me to add more shapes? Where do I get them? I actually do NOT have a circle.

February 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Castaway
Oops, I found the circles they were hiding on me. Thanx again ladies! Now I am off to try and make hanging letters.

February 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
You did great! Glad you got it figured out!

February 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Glad you got it worked out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search