Photo Enhancing in PSE

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photoshop and Photoshop Elements Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, I've been meaning to write these up for some time. These are the steps I usually take when I photo enhance and I almost always enhance my photos. This tutorial was written for PSE5, but I believe will work for PSE6 as well.

Here's are starting pic

Step 1. Unsharpen mask.

Go to Enhance > Unsharpen mask

Then I usually set my settings to the following 50, 5, and 0. Now some pictures you will need more and some less, but this is where I usually start with and use this setting for most of my pics.

Step 2. Curves

Go to Enhance > Adjust Color > Adjust Color Curves.

Curves is a little tricker in PSE than PS. You will need to click the advanced options to get all the options. You will probably want to drag the screen over so you can see your picture as the preview shows on the actual picture as you adjust. I usually adjust the top 2 sliders towards the right.

Step 3. Contrast

Go to Enhance > Adjust Lighting > Brightness/Contrast

I usually adjust my contrast up anywhere from 4 to 20. I leave the brightness as is.

Step 4. Levels

Go to Enhance > Adjust Lighting > Levels

Levels, really depends on the picture. I just slide the sliders around until I get it to look right. I usually pull the middle slider and far left slider to the right and sometimes the far right slider to the left.

Step 4. Color Balance
I don't adjust the color balance on every photo. Probably only about half the time do I mess with this, but if the colors seem off or don't match my other photos I will adjust them. I like the adjust color for skin tones options best in PSE.

Go to Enhance > Adjust Color > Adjust color for skin tones.

Click on skin and then adjust sliders.

Step 5. Burn tool
I usually use a soft brush and the burn tool on the lips and colored part of the eyes.

Here's my final pic. This wasn't the best photo for photo enhancing, but got tired of looking through my photos and just picked one.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
March 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
guineverelady's Avatar Super Mommy
ty so much teresa, i'm looking forward to trying this out. is there a different step process to doing B&W?
March 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Yes, there are few steps I skip with black & whites and a couple things I usually add. I plan to get to black and white's next week if I can.

March 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Just me.
Thanks Teresa for taking the time to write up this tutorial. Hopefully it'll help out my photo enhancing skills.
March 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Just me.
Teresa does the order in which we do these techniques matter? Or will the end result be the same?
March 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Teresa does the order in which we do these techniques matter? Or will the end result be the same?[/b]
The end result might be different depending on which order you do the steps. It's really a personal preference, I think.
March 10th, 2008, 02:59 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Teresa does the order in which we do these techniques matter? Or will the end result be the same?[/b]
I have to agree with Rachel on this the order might change the end results, but you don't necessarily have to do them in that order. This is the order I usually adjust things in, but sometimes I skip some of the steps if it doesn't look right.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search