Getting started with Gimp

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gimp Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
thx no i finally figured it out.once istarted doin lessons nad playin wiht it im finally gettin the hang of it

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

September 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM
MelissaGL's Avatar Member
I would love to make a siggy but have absolutely no idea where to begin. If you could offer any assistance I would appreciate it. I tried to upload a picture and was not successful. If you could help me start maybe I could finish on my own. Thank You so much.

img]http://bd.lilypie.com/gFK7m6/.png[/img][/url]

October 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Gimp won't download for me, when I click "the direct link" because GIMP never starts downloading for me, it takes to a page that says I'm not connected to the interent, but at the same time I'm having an IM and posting on JM????

October 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
sha718sha@yahoo.com's Avatar Veteran
ok lady's i think i got it

SM: to corneisha 13 corey jr 10
February 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
momma_chel's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to momma_chel Send a message via Yahoo to momma_chel
I went to the GIMP website to dl it and saddly it said that the files were CORRUPTED :sad: I was really looking forward to making siggy. I am gonna try it one more time and see if i can get it to DL properly.... I would just go out and buy PSP but its a pricey thing to purchase... maybe i'll get it for my birthday this yr lol.

</div>
October 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
jacob&#39;smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob&#39;smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob&#39;smom
it's trying to charge me for downloading gimp. i thought it was a free download?

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
October 20th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Quote:
it's trying to charge me for downloading gimp. i thought it was a free download?[/b]
Strange! It is a free program so it shouldn't be trying to charge you! Try downloading from this link http://www.gimp.org/
October 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
jacob&#39;smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob&#39;smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob&#39;smom
ok how do i add pictures to the page? i can get the page sort of set up but can't figure out layers or adding the picture to the actual page??

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
November 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
LibbyLoo's Avatar Member
Hi everyone-
I was hoping to learn gimp but I seem to be the real gimp!! I can't get the hang of it despite trying numerous tutorials. Can anyone help??
TTC #1 w/ irregular periods for almost 3 years!
1st BFP 10/28/08!
+BETA 10/30/08: 39
BETA #2 11/3/08: 293, Progesterone: 15.0
BETA #3 11/8/08: 6,773
BETA #4 11/11/08: 20,400
First U/S scheduled 11/13/08

January 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
Okay, I'm trying this for the first time and first i want to say thank you. it's really great of you to be teaching all of us how to do this...

But i'm really confused. I've been opening new layers and adding pictures and graphics and i thought i was doing well, but i can't see the different layers now. all i can see is the current layer i'm working on. i tried to click on the eyes on the right box, but that didn't work either. how do i get the pictures behind one another to view everything. it's just a bunch of check boxes and then i can't see anything else. this is really confusing.

thanks for your help. I'm really trying to learn how to make a siggy and i downloaded gimp. maybe i just need to play with it more. i'll try again tomorrow, but any help you could give would be great!
January 30th, 2009, 09:23 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
When you are making the new layer are you adding a background to it, or accidelty merging it down to the backgroud layer?

If you can get me a screen shot of what your layers palate looks like I can figure out whats up.

January 31st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Well, I've been starting on the background, which is my picture. and then when i add the new designs i select open in new layer. but then i can't see any of the other layers. I ended up closing everything, but let me see if i can do it again.

okay, i finally figured out the layers, but now i imported a new image and it just keeps saying that the layer is floating. how do i correct that?

and how to i round out my images on my pictures and can i bend the text to be more rounded as well?

Thanks again,

okay, i tried to insert a screen shot using print screen and pasting it in here but it didn't work. how do i do it again?

i'm so sorry to keep bugging you and thanks again for all of your help!

January 31st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Okay, i think I figured some of it out, but I would still like to know how I make the picures rounded and how I can bend text. I finally got the layer thing. and I will def have to go back and redo the lesson on text. mine did not come out as nice as i'd of liked.

thanks, what do you think of my first siggy????
February 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
nursedawn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't want to read all the posts, but I have a MAC Computer and I tried to d/l GIMP but it wouldn't take.
Is there some other system to use other than GIMP that will work on a MAC?

February 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
KadensMom's Avatar Veteran
Is there by chance some where that I maybe passed by the thread, But a lesson on how to blend two images together, or possibly even more then 2 images together in GIMP? I know how to do it in photoshop but I want to try it out in Gimp.
May 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Boble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ohh this looks interesting.. i am going to have to give it a try! I will be here very very soon asking lots of questions

Thank you kiliki for my gorgeous siggy!
May 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Wow, this whole thread only makes me even MORE impressed by you ladies who have actually made siggies! I managed to download Gimp, and I can open a photo on it, but then I just sit there staring at it with absolutely no idea of what I should do next. I don't think that there's a creative bone in me.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
I didn't see anything for blinkies.... anyone know how to do them??
January 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Oona's Avatar Member
Is school over?
new student here

Made by Jaidynsmum & Sharon
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...creations.html
June 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to lizzie_86 Send a message via Yahoo to lizzie_86
I've been using gimp for awhile now, and when I opened it today it looked nothing like what I had yesterday! I can't right-click the layers in the layers dialog, it doesn't seem to want to to do anything the way it was yesterday. I uninstalled and installed again but it's still doing the same thing! What could have possible happened overnight?

EDIT!
Ok I feel like a complete idiot, I figured it out. I had to undo history tab opened not the layers tab! DUH!

Last edited by lizzie_86; June 19th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search