Photo enhancing in Gimp

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gimp Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
In this lesson I'll cover photo enhancing.

Here's my starting picture.

Step 1
Open your photo in Gimp. Then go to Script Fu > Alchemy > Unsharpen Mask.

Use the default settings and click okay. They should be the same as below.

Step 2
This will create three seperate layers so we will need to flatten the image before proceding. Go to Image > Flatten Image.

Step 3
Next we will do a selective guassian blur to soften the picture up. Go to Filters> Blur > Selective Guassian Blur.

Set your blur radius anywhere from 2 to 4. I set mine to 3 in this photo, but you can play around with it to see what looks best for the photo. Set the Max. Delta to 25.

Step 4
Adjust the contrast. Go to Tools > Color Tools > Brightness & Contrast.

I increased my contrast to 25 in this one, but again you'll need to play around with the number to see what looks best.

Step 5

Adjust the curves. Go to Tools > Color Tools > Curves.

You will want to slide the curve upward to brighten up the picture.

Step 6
Finally use the sharpen brush and go over the eyes to make them sparkle. (I stole this tip from Ann's PSP stuff.)

The sharpen brush looks like a little droplet in the main Gimp tool box. Make sure you set it to sharpen.

Choose a small brush size and go over the eyes with it.

And that's it! Here is my finished photo.

You may find that you just want to use some of these steps for the photo you are working with. Sometimes I just use the unsharpen mask and curves and leave out the other steps especially if I have a nice photo that I really don't want to soften up.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
May 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Bumping this one up. I really was hoping someone would use this lesson.

Teresa

May 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will! I just don't have GIMP on the computer right now. DH had to wipe XP off the computer because when we were using NetZero a couple months back it messed the computer up and its one of the reasons i was having issues. And then our main hard drive was only a 4G so a friend brought us a 20G and dh had to reinstall XP now hes going to mess with the networking and such, I dont want to put anything back on the comp yet till hes done messing with it.

But Thanks for the lesson!!! I will do it as soon as i can

May 21st, 2007, 09:11 PM
ERICKA77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before:

After:

March 25th, 2008, 02:31 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
i actually came to the siggie school looking for this EXACT lesson.. i came to it going to post asking about it and decided to browse the posts first.. thanks so much for making it!.. but first off..i had probs with NOT having the script fu.. then you helped me out gave me the link to DL the stuff for text and such.. but thats ALL i have.. when i click script fu.. the only option is layer effects, and then that goes into other options

so how do i get more under my script fu??
March 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, looks like the unsharpen mask was moved in the newest version. Go to Filters > Enhance > Unsharpen Mask and then the rest of the steps should be the same. Oh, and it looks like you can skip step 2 as well because the updated unsharpen mask flattens it all for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search