Scaling, cropping, & resizing in Gimp

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gimp Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, let's start with resizing an image. This is pretty easy.

Resizing an image in Gimp
Open up your image and then go to Image > Scale Image.

When the window pops up, change the Interpolation settings to Cubic Best. This will help keep it from getting so fuzzy. Then type in the number you want to resize in the width or height box. (It will automatically keep adjust the other size so you only need to change the width or height since it is keeping it proportionate.)

Cropping an image in Gimp
Open up the image you want to crop and then to go to Tools > Crop & Resize.

Drag the corners to position your crop. (Or you can type in a specific size in the width and height box. You will have to play around with the Origin X and Origin Y coordinates to position it where you want if you are trying to do a specific sized crop.)

Click crop once you have positioned your crop.

Scaling a layer in Gimp
Say you are working on a siggy and the layer is too big or you just want to adjust the size. Make sure you have the layer you want to scale down selected in the layer palette and then go to Tools > Transform Tools > Scale.

Then go to your main Gimp tool bar and make sure the settings are set as follows.

Interpolation: Cubic Best
and check the check box next to supersampling.

This will help with the image not being quite as fuzzy after your done scaling it down.

Then drag the corners until you have your layer to the size you want it or you can type in a specific width in height in the window. HOLD THE SHIFT KEY AND THE ALT KEY down when you scale your layer if you want it to scale proportionately. Once you have it positioned, click scale to apply it.

You may notice after you scale your image it looks really blurry.

Here's how you fix that. Go to Filter > Enhance > Sharpen.

I sharpened mine quite a bit. I set mine at 50, but you can play around with it.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
Quote:
Say you are working on a siggy and the layer is too big or you just want to adjust the size.[/b]
I don't get it. I'm not stupid about computers until it comes to graphic stuff. I need it super barnied down. Sorry. What layer? How do I know I have layers? Why would it be too big? How would I know it's too big?
June 9th, 2007, 10:27 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay a layer just try and think of painting your house. You put on your primer that's your first layer. You paint another section a big bright yellow circle. That's another layer. Then you paint your name on top of that in bright green that's a third layer. Now with layers you can move that bright yellow circle to the left or to the right and the bright green text to the middle or where you want it.

When you make your siggy each part is a layer. When you open up an image file it's only got one layer - the photo. When you make a siggy you usually have your background layer - this would be your wall up above with it's nice white primer. Then you add your photo or cutout picture or whatever you want. Then you add your text and decorations. Does that make any more sense?

So if your picture is too big. You'll want to make it smaller. (Scale it down.) How do you know if it's too big. Well a siggy at Justmommies needs to be 600x600 pixels or less. Most girls make theirs 400x300 pixels or less. If your picture is bigger than that you will need to scale it down. If you got to Image > Scale image you will see your image size. If it the size you want it then you just hit cancel and if it is too big you can type in the size you want it to be and click okay.

Does this make sense? I am going to bed in just a second, but let me know if that helps or if you need more help.

Teresa

June 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
Are you, or have you ever been, a teacher? Because you are wonderful at explaining things.

Yeah, I think I got it. Thanks. Art, or anything artsy, has always been what I've been the worst at, but I really want to try and you're a great help!!
June 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Lol, I have never been a teacher, but I have homeschooled a dyslexic child off and on for the past 10 years. It has taught me a lot of patience. Please let me know if you still have problems. I really want to see you succeed!

Teresa

December 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
SweetOrchid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm...for some reason, I can't crop my image

This is what I did and got stuck at...

I went to Tools --> Transform Tools --> Crop (I don't have Crop & Resize)

And then I chose where I want to crop...then I tried right clicking and selecting Image and that's as far as I can go. I can't click on "Crop to Selection." EEK!

Any help would be great.

thanks
January 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Hmm...for some reason, I can't crop my image

This is what I did and got stuck at...

I went to Tools --> Transform Tools --> Crop (I don't have Crop & Resize)

And then I chose where I want to crop...then I tried right clicking and selecting Image and that's as far as I can go. I can't click on "Crop to Selection." EEK!

Any help would be great.

thanks [/b]
Okay, I just recently upgraded my Gimp to the newest version. It looks like they changed it to just say Crop and not Crop & Resize. It looks like the newest version has a few small changes.

All you should need to do is choose crop and then use your mouse to drag out how you want it cropped and then click in the center of the box and that should crop it for you. Let me know if you still have problems. I am going to have to play around and figure out how to get it to scale to a specific size. I'll post back to this thread when I get that figured out.

Teresa

January 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
This hasn't been posted on in awhile but, I can't re size my pictures right. When i go to make them say like 600x400 it gets super tiny. Any help would be really appreciated.
January 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
How are you trying to re-size?

Click on image then scale image. Type in the width you want and then click scale, if it's too tall you'll need to crop it to the right height. If it's not tall enough undo the scale and type in the height you wnat instead of the width, again if it's too wide crop it to the right size.
Hope all that made sense!
January 22nd, 2011, 06:08 AM
Thanks I'll try that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search