Complete Siggy Lesson 1 for Gimp

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gimp Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Before you do this lesson you will need to have done the tutorial on Outlined text & beveled text and you will also want to do the one on Scaling, cropping, & resizing in Gimp, but you can do them as you go if you would like.

Here is the siggy we will be making in this lesson. It's simple, but I think it's a good place to start.

Here is the picture you will use for this lesson.

Right click it to save it to your computer and remember where you saved it so you can open it up later.

You will also want to download and install these fonts for this lesson. Script-L691 and Decker. If you don't know how to download & install a font see our lesson here - Installing fonts.

Okay, once you have got all that done, let's get started.

Step 1.
Open up the photo of Leo in Gimp. (Just go to File > Open on the main Gimp tool bar.) If you don't have a layer palette open already go to File > Dialog > Create New Dock > Layers, Channels & Paths. You will need the layer palette to do most of the steps in the lesson.

Step 2.
Next we are going to want to crop Leo's picture to cut out all the extra background. You will want to crop your picture to approximately 315 pixels by 250 pixels. To do this go to Tools > Transform Tools > Crop & Resize.

Click on the photo and you will get crosshairs. Drag them to where you want to crop your photo. To get an exact crop go to the crop tool box that will pop up enter 315 where it says width and 250 where it says height and then play with the top numbers until you position your crop where you want it.

Step 3
Next we are going to make one layer black and white and keep one in color so we can do black and white with color for this siggy.

Go to your layer palette the and right click on the photo layer and select Duplicate Layer.

Your layer palette will now look like this. There will be two copies of the same layer.

Step 4
Next we are going to desaturate (make black & white) the top layer. Make sure your top layer is selected in the layer palette and then go to the window your photo is in and select Tools > Color Tools > Hue & Saturation.

When the window pops up slide the saturation slider all the way to the left or you can just type in -100. This will make your top layer black & white. Your bottom copy of the photo should still be in color.

Step 5
Go to your main tool box and select the eraser tool. Pick a brush size you like for your eraser and erase the top layer just the Leo's body and not the background grass. You will see as you start to erase how the color shows through. Stop once you have erased his body. If you can't find the eraser tool or figure out how to change the brushes their let me know and I'll make screen shots for that too. If you make a mistake at any time you can always go to Edit > Undo and this will undo whatever you just did.

Step 6
Let's merge the two layers together and create a new file to get to work on the rest of your siggy. Go to Image > Merge Visible Layers.

This will merge the layers that are visible together. Then let's make a new file for our siggy.

Go to File > New and make your canvas size 600 pixels wide and 400 pixels for the height. Click okay. Create a new layer for Leo's picture to go on. Go to Layer > New Layer.

When the window pops up leave it set at transparency and click okay.

Go back to the photo of Leo and hit Edit > Copy to copy it to the new file. And in the new file hit Edit > Paste to paste it into the new file. Last thing you will need to do before getting back to work on you siggy is anchor your new layer. Right click on your photo layer in the layer palette and click on anchor layer.

Now that we have that done, we can get to adding the green stroke and the text to the siggy.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 6th, 2007, 08:08 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Step 7
Now that we have our image together we are going to add a green stroke around it and then another thin black stroke around that to make it stand out a little more. We want our green color to match the picture so we are going to use the eye dropper tool to pick the color.

Go to the main tool bar and find the tool that looks like an eye dropper. Then once you have your eye dropper tool selected click with your mouse on Leo's shirt where it is green and the eye dropper will pick up the color. I picked the darkest green spot on his shirt.

Highlight & copy the Hex code from the color picker window. You will need it for the next step.

Step 8
Go to Script Fu > Layer Effects > Add border.

Set your border size to 8, your border position to inner border, and then right click on the black color to change your color to the the color you just picked up with the eye dropper tool.

When the windo pops up just wipe out the 000000 code for black color and paste the Hex code you just copied there and click okay.

Step 9
If you did this right your siggy should look something like the image below so far. Click on the green border layer in your layer palette now as we are going to add a small black stroke to this layer. The layer called border line should be highlighted now in the layer palette.

Now go back to Script Fu > Layer Effects > Add border.

This time set your border size to 1, your border position leave at inner border, and change the border color back to black by clicking on it and changing the Hex code to 000000 for black. Then click okay.

Step 10

Now we are going to merge all these layers together because it will be easier when we go to add the text part. Go to your layer palette and this time we want to make the background layer invisible before we merge it or when you merge visible it will merge the background with it as well and we want this part to have a transparent background for now. To do this go to your layer palette and click the little eyeball next to the background layer and it will make it invisible.

Then go back up to Image > Merge Visible like you did in step 6

The last thing you will need to do is add the text!

June 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Step 11
Now to add the text. Hopefully, you downloaded and installed the fonts before starting this lesson, but if you didn't you can save your file. Close out Gimp. Install your fonts and reopen Gimp then reopen your file. Back to the lesson.

Choose the T (for text) in the main Gimp tool bar. Your color should still be set to the blue/green color from Leo's shirt. Change the font by clicking on the little button next to font. Change your font to the Script-L691 font. Change your font size to 150. Then click on the siggy file and type in your text (Leo).

Then you will want to move your text in the right spot. Look at my siggy above for help with positioning it and position it as close as you can. To move it you will need to choose the move tool from the main Gimp tool bar and then click on the color part of the text to select the text. Then just drag it where you want it to be positioned.

Step 12
Once it is positioned where you want it we will add a white stroke to the text.

To do this go back to Scriptfu > Layer Effects > add border. Change your settings to

size 2
position: outer border
color: white (hex code is FFFFFF)
and click okay.

Step 13
Click on the picture layer in your layer palette to select that. Then use your eraser tool to erase the bottom part of the picture right where Leo's name is so that it looks like mine.

Step 14
Add text to the top and bottom of the picture like I did on mine. I used Decker font set at size 25 for mine. And that's it!

I'd like to see everyone make this siggy and then I'd love to see you all make 2 or 3 of the siggies on the main board for other people using this technique.

June 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy307
i could not save it

TRYING FOR A LYNEDEE OR A PARKER
June 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Snakes-n-Snails
Once I got the fonts working properly, it was easy from there.

June 6th, 2007, 12:54 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:

[/b]
Looks great! A couple things you might want to check because your text looks kind of jagged. Did you have the boxes ticked next to Hinting, Force Auto-Hinder, & Antialiasing? Other than that it looks perfect! I am glad you got the fonts figured out.

Quote:
i could not save it[/b]

Okay you need to right click on the image and click on "Save Image As" and then remember where you save the image to.

June 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM
KadensMom's Avatar Veteran
Hmm, I tried to do it similar but I didnt get no where near. Hehe. So I just did what I could.

June 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Hmm, I tried to do it similar but I didnt get no where near. Hehe. So I just did what I could.

[/b]
I think you got the idea. I would try a couple things one. I think I would have used the blue color from the tiger or bear (sorry can't tell exactly what it is) from his shirt for the center border. Two, I would either use a plain font or pull your font away from the border a little more. I think you could pull the text for Kaden either up a little more or down a little more and then you could pull off the eraser trick.

June 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Snakes-n-Snails
Here are two I just made on the siggy board.

The first one didn't come out exactly as planned because my computer froze and I almost lost the whole thing. When it started up again, I couldn't use the eraser the way I wanted because all the layers were gone.

Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Looks great! A couple things you might want to check because your text looks kind of jagged. Did you have the boxes ticked next to Hinting, Force Auto-Hinder, & Antialiasing? Other than that it looks perfect! I am glad you got the fonts figured out.
[/b]
I was wondering why the text looked so crappy. I'll have to check on that. Thanks!
June 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Woohoo! WTG Jerinda! (And thanks so much for making some siggies over on the main siggy board. I know that all the siggy makers love it when the new girls jump in!)

June 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Quote:
I think you got the idea. I would try a couple things one. I think I would have used the blue color from the tiger or bear (sorry can't tell exactly what it is) from his shirt for the center border. Two, I would either use a plain font or pull your font away from the border a little more. I think you could pull the text for Kaden either up a little more or down a little more and then you could pull off the eraser trick.[/b]

I tried again, Its the best I got.

June 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Quote:
I think you got the idea. I would try a couple things one. I think I would have used the blue color from the tiger or bear (sorry can't tell exactly what it is) from his shirt for the center border. Two, I would either use a plain font or pull your font away from the border a little more. I think you could pull the text for Kaden either up a little more or down a little more and then you could pull off the eraser trick.[/b]

I tried again, Its the best I got.

[/b]
Hey, that's not bad really.

June 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Snakes-n-Snails
I just made a new siggy for myself and I think the text is fine now. I made sure those 3 boxes were checked when I did this one and it looks good to me. You?
June 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Quote:
I just made a new siggy for myself and I think the text is fine now. I made sure those 3 boxes were checked when I did this one and it looks good to me. You?[/b]

I like your new siggy it looks great!

June 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
That looks great Jeri! I am so excited to see you over here. I am sure you will be a pro in no time. Just stick around!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Great lesson Teresa!

You girls did great!
June 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
I just made a new siggy for myself and I think the text is fine now. I made sure those 3 boxes were checked when I did this one and it looks good to me. You?[/b]

Yep! It looks super! Your text looks sharp & clean!

June 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Hmm.. I'm not sure about mine. I wanted it to look really great but I could only get it to look like this........I am not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the name to show up outside of the picture.................

Here is what I did (and i messed up on the birthday, which is supposed to say 2006...but i dont know how to fix it)

June 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Hmm.. I'm not sure about mine. I wanted it to look really great but I could only get it to look like this........I am not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the name to show up outside of the picture.................

Here is what I did (and i messed up on the birthday, which is supposed to say 2006...but i dont know how to fix it)

[/b]

Okay did you make a new file and put the photo in a file bigger than the original photo size? I guess what I am asking is was your background bigger this way there was some place to put your text below? If not, just scale down your image or make your canvas size bigger and then you can move your text below. Just go to Image > Canvas size and make the dimensions bigger. Then use the move tool (there is a screen shot up above of what the move tool looks like) and move your text below. Let me know if you get stuck or need more help or that wasn't the problem. I have one more idea of what could be the problem, but wanted to see if this was it first.

Teresa

June 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Okay did you make a new file and put the photo in a file bigger than the original photo size? I guess what I am asking is was your background bigger this way there was some place to put your text below? If not, just scale down your image or make your canvas size bigger and then you can move your text below. Just go to Image > Canvas size and make the dimensions bigger. Then use the move tool (there is a screen shot up above of what the move tool looks like) and move your text below. Let me know if you get stuck or need more help or that wasn't the problem. I have one more idea of what could be the problem, but wanted to see if this was it first.

Teresa[/b]
Ahhhh.. I think I understand now, thank you! I did have to make the canvas a little bigger than the picture. Here is what I did really quick:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search