How to make a blinky

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paint Shop Pro Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I use PSP X, but the steps should be pretty similiar in other versions of PSP. There may be different, even easier, ways to do this, so please feel free to share if you know of a better way to do something that I've done.

1. Create a new Image by clicking File>New
2. Make the new Image with the following settings:

3. Zoom Out on your image until it is at 600%, like this:

4. Turn your Grid on by clicking on View>Grid

5. Set your Grid properties to the following by clicking View>Change Grid, Guide and Snap Properties:

6. Click on the Bucket Fill Tool and make your image white:

7. Now, click on your selection tool:

8. Now select all the squares of your image except 1 outer area by clicking and dragging the selection tool:
*You’ll notice the “dancing ants” around the area you’ve selected

9. Now you want to select two colors to be your background color. I’m going to use pink and white, but you can use any two colors that you want.

10. After you’ve selected the colors, click on the Foreground color on your materials palette and then click on the Gradient folder. Then you’ll click on the arrow which will bring up a drop down menu:

11. Choose 0000-fore+back01 which is the two colors you’ve chosen blended together.

12. Then you’ll want to make it repeat 1 time so that your center is lighter than the outer edges:

13. If you’d like, you can click on Add to Swatches to save the gradient that you’ve just created for future use:

14. Now, you’ll want to click on the Bucket Fill tool again and right click inside the dancing ants to color your image with your gradient.

15. Now you’ll want to get rid of the dancing ants. Do this by clicking Selections>Select None
16. Time to add your text. For the tutorial, I’m going to use the words “My first Blinky” but you can use anything, just make sure it’s not too long. Click on the Text tool on your toolbar:

17. Now click somewhere on your image and a text box will appear. At this point, you’ll want to change your color so that your text stands out. I’m going to use a darker pink for the foreground and leave the background white. Then choose the font you want to use. For this tutorial, I’m going to use Porky’s font. (You can find this font at www.dafont.com) . You’ll also need to change the font size to one that fits on the blinky. I usually use 18 pt., but you can go bigger or smaller, depending on the text and the font used.

18. Now type your text into the Text Entry box

19. Click Apply. You’ll notice that the text is not centered. You can center your text after you hit Apply by clicking Objects>Align>Center in Canvas

20. Now you’ll need to merge all your layers into one by clicking Layers>Merge>Merge All (Flatten).
21. To make it blink, you’ll need two images so to duplicate your image, hold down your shift key and click the letter “D” You’ll have two images exactly the same at this point.

22. Choose your paint brush tool and set it to the following settings:

23. This step takes up some time and is, to me, the most annoying part about making a blinky. You’ll need to paint the outer squares with the foreground color that you used for your text. On your first image, starting at the top right corner, paint every-other square all the way around the blinky.

24. On your second image, you’ll paint the opposite squares, like this:

25. Now you’ll need to open Animation Shop.
26. Once Animation Shop is open, click on your first image and then click Edit>Copy. Then go to Animation Shop and Click Edit>Paste>As New Animation.

27. Go back to PSP and click on your second image and copy it. Then go to Animation Shop and Click Edit>Paste>After Current Frame.

28. You’re all done. Click on View>Animation and sit back and watch it blink!

29. Save your new blinky in Animation Shop. You can use the default settings when you save it. You can go back to PSP and close out both Images. You don't need to save them.
June 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Oops. Step 14 is supposed to be a LEFT click, not a right click. Sorry about that!
August 10th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Annie's Avatar Super Mommy
A great tutorial, very easy to follow. Thanks very much
August 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM
You're welcome! Let's see what you came up with!
August 11th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Annie's Avatar Super Mommy
I've added it to my siggie. Is there any chance we can have a blinkie tutorial with animated text? I did try it but it was as fast as the blinking bits round the edge, and it made me feel sea sick lol
August 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM
It's pretty easy actually. I'll work up some instructions when I get home with some screen shots for ya.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search