PSP Lesson 1

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paint Shop Pro Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I use PSP X, but I think you'll be able to do this with older versions. If you run into any problems, just let me know.

Okay, we’ll be making this siggy:

We’ll start with the photo first. Right click on the photo and save it to your hard drive, then open it in PSP.

First, we want to crop the photo to get rid of the extra stuff in the background.

Click on the crop tool and drag it across the photo until you get the size you want.

Once you have the area selected, double-click any where inside the selection to crop.

Now, let’s add a white border to the image so that it looks like a photo.

Click on Image>Add Borders and this menu should pop up.

Change the Size in Pixels to 10, leaving Symmetric clicked, you’ll only have to change one and the rest will change automatically. If your color is not white to start with, click inside the color box and change it to white.

Now let’s resize the image. You can do this by clicking on Image>Resize. We’ll resize this to 50%. Make sure your settings look like this:

Now, we’ll create a new Image by clicking on File>New. Make your new Image 400x400 pixels and make your background color white. It should look something like this:

Okay, go back to the bear picture. We need to copy that into our new Image. Click on Edit>Copy. Then you can close that picture, saving it if you want to. Then click on your new image and then click Edit>Paste as a New Layer. Then click on the Select Tool and move it and rotate it to the desired location.

We’ll also add a Drop Shadow to the picture by clicking on Effects>3D Effects>Drop Shadow and this menu will pop up:

Make sure your settings are like this and click OK.

Next we want to add the flowers. You can get the flowers at http://www.valentine.gr/clipart3.htm. Open the file in PSP and then click on Edit>Copy and then you can close the flowers. Go back to your siggy and click on Edit>Paste as a New Layer. Your image may look like this:

To put the flowers behind the bear, click on Layers>Arrange>Send to Bottom. Then use your Select Tool to put them at the desired location.

Almost there. Now we’ll add the text. You’ll need to download the font here:

http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=kaileen

Go here if you need help installing the font:

http://www.myfonts.com/support/help_install_win.html

To add the text, click on the Text Tool in the toolbar:

Click on the Image where you want the text to go, and the text box should pop up.

First choose your color. To add a stroke to the text, make your foreground color white. To change your background color, click on it and the Materials Properties Menu will pop up. You can then click anywhere on your Image to change the color of the background to something from your Image. I clicked on the pink in the bears shirt and then click OK on the Material Properties. Type your text in the box after you have changed the font to Kaileen. I changed my font size to 40. Now we need to change the text to a Raster layer so that we can add effects to it. To do this click on Layers>Convert to Raster Layer.

To add effects, click on Effect>3D Effects>Drop Shadow and then Effects>3D Effects>Chisel. When you do the Chisel effect, change your settings to the following:

That’s it. You’re all done. I usually save my image now so that I can edit it if I need to later. I save it as a PSPImage and then also as a jpeg. After you have saved it as a PSPImage, you can save it as a jpeg. In order to save your image as a jpeg, you’ll need to merge all of your layers. Do that by clicking Layers>Merge>Merge All.

What I want everyone to do is to make a siggy exactly like mine (or as close as you can get) and post it here. You will need to right click on the bear picture at the top to save it to your computer. Then I want you to make another siggy all your own using one of the flowers here - http://www.valentine.gr/clipartindex.htm and using the Kaileen font and your own image.

I also would like EVERYONE to participate in Free For All Friday (you only need to do one or two siggies if you are short on time) OR Siggy Theme of the Week (or both) before moving on to Lesson 2 which will be posted next week.
June 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Looks good Sarah! I posted a new thread to show off your finished work!
June 19th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I should have added this. If you're using PSP you can shorten or lighten the drop shadow by playing with the numbers.

In the blue circled area, you can edit the length and angle of the shadow. In the Pink circled area, you can change the Opacity, (i.e., the darkness/transparency) of the shadow. Also if you want to be able to delete it later, click on the box that says "Add Shadow as a New Laywer" That way if you decide you don't want to use it at all, you can just delete the shadow.
June 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
When I try to save the pictures on my computer, they only save as ART or bitmap files, what am I doing wrong?
June 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
When I try to save the pictures on my computer, they only save as ART or bitmap files, what am I doing wrong?[/b]
You're not doing anything wrong. The usual fix for this problem is to clear your cache. IE-Tools-Internet Options-Delete Files (in the Temporary Internet Files section) .

That seems to work about 98% of the time but if it doesn't, close IE and reopen and do it again. Also it has been reported that clearing cookies helps, but ensure you save any that you need.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
June 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, here is my first siggy...

June 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, I was just playing around with the drop shadows because I was noticing that the drop shadows were bigger in Rachel's than mine. I finally figured out why. Photoshop's default setting is 5 and 5. That's what mine are set at. Where Rachel's are offsets are set at Vertical 14 and Horizontal 18, I have mine set at Vertical 5 and Horizontal 5. You can play around with it and figure out your own personal preference.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 20th, 2006, 07:32 AM
~LiamsMommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ohhh i love it i cant wait for lesson #2 my psp wouldnt let me add the white border tho only a grey one oh well anyways tytytytytytyty

June 20th, 2006, 12:51 PM
SassyGirl25's Avatar Mommy to 5

Here is my first one.. that was fun lol...

June 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
Here is my 1st siggie..........

How do you get them slanted like?

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

June 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM

See where the arrow is pointing? Click on that and move it back and forth. The image will rotate. Play around with it until you get it to the angle you like.
June 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
When I click on that button, mine will turn it on the side click it again, it will go upside down and so on. I have to go to image and then click on free rotate and put in an angle. Is there a way to reset it?
June 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Edit: You're clicking the rotate button. You need to use the select tool on your tool bar. Then you'll have the ability to adjust the angle of the image.
June 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
alright I see what you are talking about now.

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

June 21st, 2006, 02:33 AM
minxiesse's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here was my first siggie...

Hope you don't mind I changed it slightly so it was my own!

Keep the tutorials coming! I love them!

Edited to add my own siggie! I loved the daisies so used them again! xxx

June 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
diznynurse's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay here's another one....and I think almost pretty darn good! *S*

</div>

pregnant after 2 years ttc!!!!!

June 21st, 2006, 07:44 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wasn't able to install the font.

June 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
Ok i got it all done except downloading the font, i went to the page you said to but i am still clueless.. i downloaded it but i don't know how to install it.. I would love any help

BFP: 04/03/2014 EDD: 12/15/2014 HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

June 23rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss. Impatient Bevis

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search