Paint Shop Pro Lesson 3

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paint Shop Pro Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Save these photos to your computer

Doll picture 1

Doll picture 2

Doll picture 3

Doll picture 4

We are going to make this siggy!

How to cut out the doll. (There is more than one way to do this but I am going to show you how to do this with the lasso tool. I think this will probably be easiest for beginners and will be the easiest to make a tutorial for all three programs)

Use the lasso tool to trace around the photo. PSP has several options for the lasso tool. I used the Edgeseeker selection. It is pretty easy to use but you may want to try all the options and see which one you like the best.

Double click when you get your lasso drawn. This takes practice and you may need a few tries at it. If you get too much of the background that's okay. We will clean up the edges later.

Then copy and paste your doll into a new file sized around 400x300 pixels. You can close your cut out doll once you have it pasted and are happy with how it looks.

Scale your doll down to about 60 percent. (Look at lesson 1 if you don't remember how to do it).

Now you will want to blow up your image so we can clean up any edges. Go to View>> Then Zoom In.

Clean up the edges of your cut out photo with the eraser tool.

((There's an oopsy on this screen shot. The arrow pointing to eraser is not the right tool. I think you can find the eraser pretty easily. If anyone needs another screen shot let me know. I am sorry if this confused anyone)

You can adjust the brush size to make the eraser really small to get any details. If its not perfect that's okay.

You can then use the soften tool if there are any edges that look pixelated. Use a small brush to go over any imperfections. (Select the brush at the top the same way as you did with the eraser)

Zoom to 100% to get your image back to normal size. Once you have this done be sure to save your work before you move to the next step. Save this file and we will come back to it in a few.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Part 2 of Lesson

Open one of your other doll photos. We are going to crop each photo to be the exact same size.

Resize your photo first. You will be cropping it to 200 by 200 so resize it to have either the width or height to a little over 200 pixels.

Then crop your photo. Set the width and height to around 200 px. Then double click on your photo to crop.

Open a new file and size it around 615 pixels by 210 pixels. Then copy and paste your photos into your new file. Position them side by side leaving a little space in between. Save this file in case you need it (I have learned the hard way to keep saved files in case I mess up so I don't have to redo everything)

Next you want to add a very thin border. You can leave this step out but it helps so that the white doesn't blend with the background.

You will now want to open the file you saved in part one and copy and paste your new file with the three photos into it.
Edit>> Then Paste as New Layer and paste your copy of the three dolls into the file from part one.

Scale down the three dolls to about sixty percent. And position it behind the doll (that you cut out in part one) so that she can "sit" on the photos. (You may have to refer back to lesson one on how to arrange layers or ask us for help)

(Sorry you can't see the border on this because it isn't on there. I have redone the tutorial like 5 times now because it took me a bit to figure out some of the differences in PSP and PS. And I am too lazy to fix this. LOL)

June 21st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Part 3

Add a drop shadow to your three photos that the doll is sitting on.

This is where I set my drop shadow.

Now we want to make the photo look like it is flat. Use the pick tool. Select shear at the top. You will then want to drag the corner of your photos to distort your photo.

You may have to play around with this to get it to look the way you want it to. It's pretty easy though.

Once you finish this all you need to add is your text. You can choose whatever font you want. Make your font pink (or choose your own favorite color). (You can add a border around your text if you would like. I added a ligther shaded of pink Add a slight drop shadow (Please see Lesson 1 for this).

(Your text will probably not look "exactly" the same as the example on the top. I did that one in Photoshop and didn't recreate the text for this lesson. I did the best I could with converting this tutorial to PSP)

Tada! Your done!

June 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM
bumping this so it doesn't get burried

June 21st, 2006, 09:51 PM
MnKelly77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MnKelly77
You my dear... are good excellent directions!!!!

Thank you aprilmiracle for a BEAUTIFUL siggy!!!

<3
June 21st, 2006, 09:55 PM
Quote:
You my dear... are good excellent directions!!!!

[/b]

You are quick! I was so worried you gals wouldn't be able to follow my instructions. I don't always explain myself clearly. (And this was my first siggy using PSP) LOL. Very nice!

I forgot to start a new thread for finished projects. I will go do that now.

June 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
I have a question...........

Now we want to make the photo look like it is flat. Use the pick tool. Select shear at the top. You will then want to drag the corner of your photos to distort your photo.

I am using Paint shop pro 7 and my pick tool thing doesn't have shear is there a way of doing this step in Psp 7.........I got every thing else expect here I can't find it.

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

June 22nd, 2006, 04:11 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
I have a question...........

I am using Paint shop pro 7 and my pick tool thing doesn't have shear is there a way of doing this step in Psp 7.........I got every thing else expect here I can't find it.[/b]

Do you have a "free" option with your pick tool? You can do it with that too. It's not quite as good for this, but it'll work.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 22nd, 2006, 05:37 AM
I don't see one.

Mary

June 22nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Try using the deform tool. I know this is on PSP. It is the one in the tool bar that looks like this >>

It should work.

Teresa

June 22nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
I have that but what do I do after I hit that because I tried doing what the diagram said and mine doesn't look flat.

Mary

June 22nd, 2006, 08:19 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
You're going to have to play around with it. Slide the corners out so it's skewed and adding a drop shadow will help make it look flat.

Teresa

June 22nd, 2006, 09:53 AM
alright Thanks

Mary

June 23rd, 2006, 03:33 AM
minxiesse's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I may have done it wrong but can't find the shear or anything like this on Jasc Paint Shop Pro! Am totally at a dead end now! xxx

June 23rd, 2006, 03:39 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
I may have done it wrong but can't find the shear or anything like this on Jasc Paint Shop Pro! Am totally at a dead end now! xxx[/b]
which version do you have?
June 23rd, 2006, 03:53 AM
It might be called the Deformation tool in your version. It still should be the second tool on your left hand tool bar, just under the hand. When you select that tool, you should have some different choices pop up on the top. That is where you would change the mode to shear.

June 23rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
I found out something too that I would like to share........

In paint shop pro 7 when you click on the deform button press and hold down the shift key while you pull the right corner you will have to play around with it until you get it right.

I found out something too that I would like to share........

In paint shop pro 7 when you click on the deform button press and hold down the shift key while you pull the right corner you will have to play around with it until you get it right.

Mary

June 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Good to know, Mary. All versions are slightly different. If you're using something other than what the tutorial was written in, and you figure out how to modify it to work for you, please post it so that others know too!!
June 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
another question about this.........

My image looks slanted and the end looks pointed how do I get it to not look like that?

Mary

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search