Pretty text & magic wand in PSP

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paint Shop Pro Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2006, 06:00 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
This is only for PSP. In PS you can do most of this without having to do these extra steps.

Create a new document. Make the size width: 1200 height: 1000 Resolution 200.

Make sure your materials palette looks like this, with the white being the background color.

Type you text in. I used Comic Sans MS to keep it simple and set the size at 72. You want to set your size really big. We will scale it down smaller later.

Right click on your layer (in the layer palette) and duplicate your layer.

Then click on your text in the center to open up the vector property box. Set the stroke on ONE of your layers to 10.

Move the text with a size 10 stroke to the back (if it isn't already) by dragging it to the bottom in your layer palette or going to the top navigation menu and selecting Layer > Arrange > Send to bottom.

Make sure the text with the size 10 stroke is selected then go to the top and select Effects > Drop Shadow. You will be prompted to convert your text to a raster file. Click ok. Then you will come to this window. Make your settings the same as mine.

Then you will want to hide any background layer by clicking on the eye next to the layer.

Hide background image

Next you will merge the visible layers. Go to the top menu select Layers > Merge > Merge Visible. This will merge your two layers into one.

Once it is merged as one layer we will add an inner bevel to it. Go to Effects > 3D Effects > Inner Bevel

You will come to a screen that looks like this.

Adjust your settings to mine - do not skip this step.

Bevel width:10. Image: Smoothness:10 Depth:2 Ambience:0 Shininess: 3 Intensity:50 Elevation: 30

Then all you need to do is copy and paste it into a new image. It will be really huge if you did this correctly. Make a new document like you did in the beginning for your new siggy. (Or open up one you already were working on.) Set the new document settings to 600 by 400 with the resolution set at 72. Make sure you adjust your resolution.

Then go to your pretty text layer and select Edit > Copy then Paste as New Layer into your new siggy. It will be really big so we need to size it down.

Once you put it in your new image scale it down. Take your pick tool and change it to scale up top. Then take your bottom corner and pull it up until you get it to the size you want.

Magic wand.

Take your magic wand and click on the white part of your image.

Go up to the top and find Selections>Invert. This will make it select the image and not the background. To clean up the edges we will contract it by one pixel.

Go to Selections>Modify> Contract. This will take you to the screen below.

Just keep it at 1 pixel.

Then all we have to do is copy and paste it into our new image. Select Edit > Copy and then Edit > Paste as New Selection

and paste it into the new document. And that is it! Make sure you Paste as New Selection or it won't work right.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 30th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Great Lesson!!
Is there a way to add to your selection if it cuts out something you want to keep? Like if something in your cut-out is too close to the background color and it cuts it out?
Thanks!!
June 30th, 2006, 07:18 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Hold the shift key and then you can get more.

Teresa

Oh and expanding to the selection. Go to the top Selections >Modify > and hit Expand instead of Contract.

July 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM
.Becky.'s Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to .Becky.
YAY! Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try in the morning!

</div>

He takes her from the home she knows to lands of which are new. Survival is an unknown place, becomes her test of truth. Her burdens of many and his tanks sometimes are small. She keeps her faith through thick and thin and makes the best of all. She lives with some uncertainty, knows not what dawn may bring, but he knows nothing stops his girl from doing anything. Whether star or stripe or bar adorns his collar or his strife, nothing means more to a soldier than the one he calls his wife.
July 2nd, 2006, 03:34 AM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
Thanks for the lesson that was easy.

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

July 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
.Becky.'s Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to .Becky.
stupid question here, but I have PSP 9 and I dont see anything about a magic wand. Its not on my side bar and I've looked else where for it. Any suggestions? TIA

LOL Maybe never mind... I think I may of found it! Sorry!

</div>

He takes her from the home she knows to lands of which are new. Survival is an unknown place, becomes her test of truth. Her burdens of many and his tanks sometimes are small. She keeps her faith through thick and thin and makes the best of all. She lives with some uncertainty, knows not what dawn may bring, but he knows nothing stops his girl from doing anything. Whether star or stripe or bar adorns his collar or his strife, nothing means more to a soldier than the one he calls his wife.
July 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Oh ignore this lesson. You don't have to make the text size huge and scale it down. Just do it regular size and follow the rest of the steps.

Teresa

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search