Animation tutorial

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paint Shop Pro Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
detk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, here is the siggy we will be animating:

Thanks a lot to Shannon (LadyCoconut) for letting me use the pictures of her adorable dog Rilo. You can choose your own name and three different pictures to do this animation.

Animation is like glitter, it looks complicated because there is lots of steps, but they repeat themselves so it's easy once you have done it a few times. This tutorial will assume that you have already done the siggy school lessons and are comfortable with the basics of PSP (for example text, and using different layers, resizing, etc). Once again, this is how I do it, there is other ways to do it.

1. Write your text, choose your font (I use a large size 200-300 pixels) and color and add a white stroke if you want. For this time of animation, you need a letter that has a closed circle like a a, b, d, o, p, ect. I usually make the letter that will contain my pictures bigger than the rest of the text. I also like to select each letter with my selection marquee, cut them, and repaste them as a new layer so that each of my letters are on their own layers and can be move around. I could have made my letters transparent too by selecting Hard light as a layer property.

2. Open one of the picture you want to use as part of the animation. Resize it a bit smaller if needed. Copy it and paste it as a new layer in our siggy file. Move it back below the O layer. Using the raster deform tool, move it around and resize it until it looks good inside the O shape.

3. Using your selection tool, elipse, draw an elipse selection inside the letter O. If your text won't be transparent, anywhere on the letter is great. If you will be using transparent text, you may want to keep it as close as possible to the middle opening. Then, go to Selections, Invert. Hit the delete key to get rid of the picture outside our letter.

4. We will save this selection so that we can use the exact same one with the other two pictures. Go to Selections, Load/Save selections, Save selection to Alpha Channel. When the dialog box open, click save.

5. Go to selections, select none. Open the second picture you want to use. Once again resize it if you want and copy it. Paste as a new layer in our siggy. Resize it and center it until you like it using the raster deform tool once again. Go to selections, Load/Save selections, click load. You previous selection will be there. Then hit delete.

6. Repeat step 5 with your third picture.

7. Now to make it easier, rename your three picture layers as picture 1 (picture on the lowest layer), picture 2 (middle layer), picture 3 (picture on the top layer). In this tutorial, which layer is which doesn't really matter. But if you want your picture in chronological order, then follow the order.

8. Now, if you want anything else added to your siggy, do it now (more text or brushes). Resize it too.

9. Save this file if you haven't already. Do not resave it after since we will be merging layers so this save will be the good one.

10. Hide your picture 2 and 3. Your picture one should be visible, click on that layer in the layer properties menu. Go to Layers, Merge, Merge all.

11. Go to Edit, Copy. Then go to Edit, Paste as a new image. This will create a new image document.

12. Go back to our working siggy file. Go to Edit, Undo Merge all. Click to Unhide picture 2. It should be the one visible on top. Repeat the merge all layers. Go to Edit, Copy. Click on our second document where we paste our previous merged layer. Go to Edit Paste as a new layer.

13. Repeat step 12 with our third picture.

14. Now our second document with the merged layers pictures should have 3 layers, identical except for the three different pictures in the O. We will save it as a PSP 7 compatible file so that we can export it to Animation shop. Go to File, Save as, Options. Select PSP 7 compatible file. Name your file.

15. Go to File, JASC software products, Launch Animation Shop.

16. In animation shop, open the file we just saved (with the merged layers).

17. Now each layer we had in psp, becomes a frame. We will select all of our frames: Go to Edit, Select All.

18. We will now modify the rotating speed of our animation. Go to Animation, Frame properties. The default speed should be 10, change it to 80. You can always modify it again if you want it faster or slower.

19. Now click on View Animation.

20. Voilŕ! Save your file as a gif file, it will be optimized automatically.

Please feel free to ask questions, and do let me know if something isn't clear or if you need more information.
April 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM
kimbytx
Great tut Ann. It is always funny to me how people do things so differently. I swear every PSPer I know does it differently. I do it old school way I guess. I make my sig with the first pic. Then duplicate it twice and add the other 2 pics. Then copy each frame into AS and animate It. I never thought about hiding the layers. I would probably confuse myself. That is how you do it in image ready and I have never mastered it.
April 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Great tut Ann. It is always funny to me how people do things so differently. I swear every PSPer I know does it differently. I do it old school way I guess. I make my sig with the first pic. Then duplicate it twice and add the other 2 pics. Then copy each frame into AS and animate It. I never thought about hiding the layers. I would probably confuse myself. That is how you do it in image ready and I have never mastered it.[/b]
I agree everyone does it so differently. When I read differents tutorial online when I started animation, they were all different! lol Some did it like you, others this way and others I got so confused so I just skipped them!
April 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved this one...thanks for sharing this tutorial...i just love looking on the board see if there is a new tutorial.....i think this one came out better than my standing frame one...lol

thanks
EDee

April 26th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Quote:
I loved this one...thanks for sharing this tutorial...i just love looking on the board see if there is a new tutorial.....i think this one came out better than my standing frame one...lol

thanks
EDee

[/b]
Looks great!! Love the colors too!
September 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Nice job!
March 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Patti hearts Braxton's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did it! I did it! THANK YOU for the awesome & easy to follow tutorial!

July 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Okay, well, I was with you right up until Step 15, when I discovered that I don't actually HAVE Animation Shop on my version of PSP. (I guess it didn't come with the free 30-day trial version, lol.) Anyway, I ended up saving the file and then opening it up in Gimp to finish. I honestly couldn't tell you all of the steps that I took next, but somehow it managed to get animated! Here is what I came up with:

Pretty cool, but overall the whole process was extremely complicated. I can't see myself finding the time to do this much, unless I can figure out an easier way.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Last edited by Quantum_Leap; July 8th, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
July 10th, 2009, 11:01 PM
hey all Im new to the site and this is my first tut I did from here (I have prior somewhay-experience in PSP9 and AS3 but Im refreshing since I havent designed in almost 5 years *tear*) so heres my go at it but I HATE HATE HATE how AS optimizes and makes my stuff *grainy*
(any way to avoid this?)
Thanks for letting me share

Well shoot lol I was ready to post it but it said "You have to have 10 posts before you can use links"
Sorry!

Can someone still answer my GRAIN question tho lol?
October 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
CherryFrog1926's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to CherryFrog1926 Send a message via Yahoo to CherryFrog1926
ok i'm trying to do this and i have changed the speed and it is still going super fast no matter what i do HELP! lol thanks
October 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
How fast are you having it go?

October 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
CherryFrog1926's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to CherryFrog1926 Send a message via Yahoo to CherryFrog1926
i changed it to 80 and it still goes like it's set at 10 i even tried 100 lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search