Only Child?

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is anyone only planning on having one child?

I'm not sure what we will do. I thought about only having one child before I ever became pregnant and that I would only want one. I know that I could be happy with only Oliver. But, I can't imagine never being pregnant again, having a newborn, and all those first special days. I'm staying open about it. I know we won't plan anything in the next year or two. I want to enjoy Oliver for awhile before making any decisions. Plus, I'm not sure what Damon will want.
November 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always wanted 4 kids, back to back. Now I have one, who is almost 5. Life doesn't always happen how you want it, that's for sure. I don't know if I am having any more. I want more, but I am not getting younger, and I'd prefer not to have kids when I'm too old. But I also get really depressed when I think of never being pregnant again or having those newborn firsts. I'd say to just go with the flow. Enjoy Oliver for now, and if you decide more than one is in the cards, go for it. I WILL tell you that the older your kids get, the less you want another one. I really enjoy it just being DD and I. Outings are so simple, I can shop just for her, and I have time for myself. That changes the more kids you have, and I know because I was a step-mom who practically raised my step-kids!

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
November 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
I remember telling Lee in the last weeks of my pregnancy with Lily that she would be an only child, obviously that thought quickly passed. I've always wanted to have two children, I loved growing up with siblings and I want that for my children as well.

November 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am personally an only child and really love it

November 3rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
*Fiona*
I always wanted 2 kids, DH wanted none, so we've both made a big compromise and settled on just this one. Which is why I'm trying to savour every second of growing this little one!
November 3rd, 2008, 03:17 AM
ANGWife
We want a few children. But that's assuming my pregnancy and labor goes well.
November 3rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
We want about 3 kids !!!

But we shall just see how things go !!
November 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
HopeWishWait's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to be totally honest here: I hate being pregnant. I'm miserable, I'm sick as a dog, it is just not fun..at all. On the really bad days I tell DH "Never again, I never want to be pregnant again". And sometimes I think I mean it.
I don't think Conner will be an only child as I'd really really love to adopt someday but I don't know if there will be any pregnancies after this one.

November 3rd, 2008, 05:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's easy for me to say a number because I don't have kids yet. But ideally we'd like to have 3 or 4 and have them no more than 2 years apart. The reason is because my only sister is 3 years older and we hated each other growing up. We were too old to be friends but not old enough to ignore each other. It was awful! I always said siblings should be closer together in age so they have more in common. Arg, dilemma!
November 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I have no idea how many kids we will have at this point. We are going to wait a couple years before we have #3 because we don't have the money for it right now. Two is good but three we would have to have a bigger house and bigger cars!

I definitely think that the baby fever comes back as your kiddo gets older. Once they start walking and talking and not being a baby anymore you start to think about having another one
November 3rd, 2008, 05:45 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've talked about having only one multiple times, sometimes for the sake of cost alone. I was an only and I loved it and had a great experience. My dh had a sibling so we both know we'll think it over after our first

November 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love to be pregnant and go through labor 2-3 times. But since we waited till 30's to start I'm guessing 2 successful pregnancies would be just fine, I have never even thought of only one. I do hope they are close together though-Me and my brother were 5 years apart and we hated each other ( i mean of course we love each other-but we never liked each other.....still don't really). In my mind the age gap was the issue when we were younger, now I just realize I don't like him as a person (but you don't have to like family to love them).
November 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ive always wanted 2, but of course we'll see how that plan goes after we have 1!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

November 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've wanted 3-4 kids for a long time, but it took me so long to finally find the man I wanted to have kids with. Now, at almost 31, I doubt we'll have that many unless we have multiples. I really want two kids. Chris said we'll start with one and decide after. He's an only child and he loved it. I have a sister but she's very mentally handicapped so we don't have the close sisterly bond that I wish we could have. So I'd love to have two kids, maybe 2 or 2.5 years apart. But like Chris said, we'll start with one...

November 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are times I wonder why I wanted a 2nd Andy and I always knew we wanted at least 2 kids and no more then 4 so we're leaving the option of more kids open. I truly feel like 2 will complete me but Andy said he gives me a few months after Rylie's here and we'll be planning another one LoL. My sister had one child and he's almost 16 now and he's an amazing guy and she never regretted not having more. My nephew and my sister are SOOO close with each other and he's close with his dad too. I think having one child is great!

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

November 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Bre+Will=Reid
I loved being pregnant so much, I know we will have 1-2 more children. I always said that I wanted 3 or 4 total, but now I think 2-3 I think we might try for our second when Reid is 2, but who knows!
November 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
One was never really an option for us and kids many years apart wasn't either. We both have an older sister, mine is 6 years older and James' is four I believe and we did not get along. We were just at WAY different stages in life. My sister REALLY resented me for interrupting her life as an only child.

Our plan has always been 2 - 3 kids. Once we had Curtis we KNEW we wanted another one James doesn't want a huge gap between Curtis and our last/youngest so he wants to have another soon after this one is born. We'll see how that goes haha.

I LOVE being pregnant. I really do, so I'm glad to know that this wont be my last pregnancy

November 3rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
BambolinaItaliana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i always said 3 and Enzo wanted 4. after being preggo with Sophie I was ready for 5! it was just so great! i don't know where we will end up, i think 4. all i know is that when i am 30 i am done, doesn't matter what number of kids we are at, that is it!

[/url]<a href="http://lilypie.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
</a>
x7
November 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted 5, still do actually. But finances being what they are it looks like the next baby will be our last, whenever it decides to join us. I really wanted my kids close in age and I got that with Liam and Loch (19 months apart). It was hard in the very beginning but I love their age difference. Now that Lochy is older they can really play together and it just makes my heart melt hearing them laugh together and watching them play. I would love to have another now but it's not in the cards so we're waiting for a bit. I think DH would be fine being done now but he knows how important it is for me to have at least one more. Neither one of us is only children so I don't know what that would be like but it was never a consideration for us to only have one.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

November 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To be honest, DH and I are very happy about having one child and we both seem to agree on this. It's not that we're opposed to having other kids but we won't be "planning" for them. If something should happen amidst our precautions then we will accept that to be but for now we're very happy to be having this one.

I do want to adopt later on but that's way down the road so we haven't focused on it as yet.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search