Documentary on chemicals and their effects on baby boys

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey all! i know i havent been around much but I just watched this documentary and I thought you ladies may like to take a look at it.

The Disappearing Male

I will warn you it is quite disconcerting, but still good information.
I googled around a bit afterwards and they actually do make lots of wooden/organic cotton baby toys so that is good to know.

ps. i miss you all (and hope you remember me!) but my baby fever is at epic levels right now and it is a form of mild torture for me to post on here every day heheh
I posted this in here since i didnt think anyone in the main forum would even know who i was! however i am *still* waiting to ttc......grrrrrr
November 9th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
**off to watch**

Take care!!

ETA: It's not working for me. Says the content is currently unavailable. Guess I'll try again later.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I'm getting the same "not available" message

November 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read the article but the doc. is not available to view.
November 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I just looked up the title on youtube and you can watch it there....I'm about to go watch
November 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*waves* yes I know you! LOL
*off to watch*

I get the unavailable with the movie also.
November 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Here ya go ladies, this is the 1st part. I'm watching it right now and it's really really interesting. Makes me really glad that I decided to use cloth dipes (they haven't talked about CDing but I know that must be part of the problem)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYn-HwDQns
November 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks Kate!! Off to watch!

November 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Thanks for posting this, vary informative..

Unfortunately, you can't hide from chemicals, it's in the air we breath, it's in the soil, etc.. You can only do so much.. This is why I'm thankful I live in a small town/city.. With lots of clean air, etc.. I also only use organic milk and I only used Organic Formula when Adriana was on it.. But the other stuff like Shampoo and soap doesn't work with my family.. Adriana suffers from excema and I have to use products to control it.. And yes, I tried the "organic" stuff and it only made her excema worse.. so you have to do what works best for you family..

November 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for finding the youtube version! Sorry maybe it's only available in Canada? wierd.
I grew up in a small town but now i live in a huge city, so I always worry about pollution now.
And its so true - we sadly can't get away from it. I thought the documentary was interesting
how they point out that us humans are animals too, which I think researchers sometimes forget.

It was my MIL who sent me the link to that video, i think she just wanted me to stare at babies for 45 min so my baby fever would get worse! lol

ETA - I'm glad i'm not totally forgotten and lost to the cyber space ether! hehe
November 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I try to do my best to always buy natural non toxic personal hygiene products, organic foods, and non toxic cleaning products. Those things are easy to find and buy. But there isn't much I can do about a lot of the other things we are exposed to. The chemicals are in everything. I can drive myself nuts with it all. I cloth diaper Oliver, he has organic bedding and an organic mattress but he sleeps with me. I have bought toys that are non toxic but he has plenty of hand me down baby toys that are plastic. It all worries me now that I have a son.
November 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
You ladies are so right! There's only so much we can do because so, so many of these harmful products are in almost everything we use. Sometimes when I hear things being advertised as organic or green, I wonder to what extent are they truly so. Is it real or is it just another marketing ploy?

Just recently I came across this site called the Cosmetic Database that evaluates a lot of different health and beauty products, whether they contain hazardous ingredients and to what extent and it was just mind boggling.

The thing is, most of the stuff we generally use in our everyday lives are contaminated in some form and the air we breathe is polluted. We'll drive ourselves crazy if we try to analyze it all. But we still have to take our own little precautions where we can.

November 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think really we should just do as much as we possbly CAN to avoid this. Obviously we can't all go live in the woods in a mud hut, I know that. But I know from now on I will make a more concentrated effort to buy organic products. I just read the label on the back of my Secret deoderant and I didn't even recognize any of the ingredients in it....and it said "do not use if you have kidney problems" or something like that! I think I'm going to get some natural deoderant and shampoo from Earth Fare next time I go there.

Another big thing we can do pretty easily is use cloth diapers and use BPA free bottles/products for our babies! I just found a really cool natural rubber pacifier that I want to get for the baby, my breast pump is BPA free and so are all the bottles we have. And I will make sure to only buy him teething toys that are BPA free. There are tons of good websites online that sell organic products like that.

Oh, and pregnant mommas should be especially concerned with what we put into our bodies in the way of artificial chemicals. Even like Mari said, with makeup...that stuff is all absorbed into your skin! I rarely ever wear makeup because there is really no point when you wear cammies every day but I think I'll get some natural makeup too.

Here is a link to an article about disposable diapers too
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/941174.stm

I love how it says the manufacturer of the disposable diapers denies the validity of all of it...of course they do! They don't want to lose money!

November 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Quote:
You ladies are so right! There's only so much we can do because so, so many of these harmful products are in almost everything we use. Sometimes when I hear things being advertised as organic or green, I wonder to what extent are they truly so. Is it real or is it just another marketing ploy?

Just recently I came across this site called the Cosmetic Database that evaluates a lot of different health and beauty products, whether they contain hazardous ingredients and to what extent and it was just mind boggling.

The thing is, most of the stuff we generally use in our everyday lives are contaminated in some form and the air we breathe is polluted. We'll drive ourselves crazy if we try to analyze it all. But we still have to take our own little precautions where we can.[/b]
Mari,

I found that Cosmetic Database a few years ago and that is when I started buying different personal hygiene products and make up. I believe the website is called something like Skin Deep. You can also research the least toxic baby products available. Earth Mama, Angel Baby is what we use for baby products. They are all organic and non toxic. Very low on that data base website.

Quote:
I think really we should just do as much as we possbly CAN to avoid this. Obviously we can't all go live in the woods in a mud hut, I know that. But I know from now on I will make a more concentrated effort to buy organic products. I just read the label on the back of my Secret deoderant and I didn't even recognize any of the ingredients in it....and it said "do not use if you have kidney problems" or something like that! I think I'm going to get some natural deoderant and shampoo from Earth Fare next time I go there.

Another big thing we can do pretty easily is use cloth diapers and use BPA free bottles/products for our babies! I just found a really cool natural rubber pacifier that I want to get for the baby, my breast pump is BPA free and so are all the bottles we have. And I will make sure to only buy him teething toys that are BPA free. There are tons of good websites online that sell organic products like that.

Oh, and pregnant mommas should be especially concerned with what we put into our bodies in the way of artificial chemicals. Even like Mari said, with makeup...that stuff is all absorbed into your skin! I rarely ever wear makeup because there is really no point when you wear cammies every day but I think I'll get some natural makeup too.

Here is a link to an article about disposable diapers too
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/941174.stm

I love how it says the manufacturer of the disposable diapers denies the validity of all of it...of course they do! They don't want to lose money![/b]
What rubber paci did you find? We use the Natursutten Pacifier. I believe it's made in Germany. Oliver likes them. As for a good organic make up company I buy Gourmet body Treats. It's all natural and organic. It works okay. http://www.gourmetbodytreats.com/
November 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Quote:
What rubber paci did you find? We use the Natursutten Pacifier. I believe it's made in Germany. Oliver likes them. As for a good organic make up company I buy Gourmet body Treats. It's all natural and organic. It works okay. http://www.gourmetbodytreats.com/[/b]
Yeah that's the paci I was talking about! Do you guys use the round kind or the orthodontic? And thanks for the tip on the organic makeup
November 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
What rubber paci did you find? We use the Natursutten Pacifier. I believe it's made in Germany. Oliver likes them. As for a good organic make up company I buy Gourmet body Treats. It's all natural and organic. It works okay. http://www.gourmetbodytreats.com/[/b]
Yeah that's the paci I was talking about! Do you guys use the round kind or the orthodontic? And thanks for the tip on the organic makeup
[/b][/quote]

We are using the round. It's for 0-3 months. The orthodontic was the 3 + months.
November 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Oh okay. Yeah I wasn't sure which one to get because the ortho one said 0-6 and the other ones were all different sizes. I think we'll go with the round as well, I found one website where you can get 4 at a time for a discount, and you can get 2 of the 0-3 and 2 of the 3-6.

I'm glad to hear that Oliver likes them though, they just started selling them on the BRU website but there aren't any reviews yet.
November 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Quote:

The thing is, most of the stuff we generally use in our everyday lives are contaminated in some form and the air we breathe is polluted. We'll drive ourselves crazy if we try to analyze it all. But we still have to take our own little precautions where we can.[/b]
Mari,

I found that Cosmetic Database a few years ago and that is when I started buying different personal hygiene products and make up. I believe the website is called something like Skin Deep. You can also research the least toxic baby products available. Earth Mama, Angel Baby is what we use for baby products. They are all organic and non toxic. Very low on that data base website.[/b]
Thanks Resi. My main problem is that we don't carry a lot of organic brands here. I've checked the site for baby recommended products and checked a few stores, even some health ones and I cant find them. To order them online and bring them in would be too costly too when they add duties. I'm just trying to research the products we do carry and the ones with the lowest risks. And some choices I've made on my own like replacing baby oil with a natural oil like Vitamin E, etc.

November 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
awwwwwwwwwwww i want a baby!! lol
you girls are all SO adorable.

on the deodorant thing, I use the Kiss my Face deo if i'm working out and it actually works. I've tried a lot of other kinds that were no good.
To be honest I also try not to wear any as much as possible. I don't smell if i dont wear it so whats the point!
I also started using the whole Aveda line of skin care (and the foundation and pressed powder) - i *think* its mostly natural, from what I remember of reading the ingredients there were no parabens or wierd things.
It's made my skin quite nice.
November 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use Kiss my Face deodorant as well. On the label it says "obsessively natural". I also use organic shampoo, soap and mostly natural makeup.
There is only so much you can do sometimes though. Like I will not be replacing my bed mattress but will be buying an organic crib mattress. I doubt baby will have organic clothes though and I'm not sure how the toys will work either. The natural ones I see online are sooo expensive. And family will probably buy plenty of plastic crap.

How can I check to see if my breast pump is BPA free? I got it from my SIL and I was just going to replace the tubing, etc. Is that the part that I need to worry about?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search