Trouble sleeping

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
ANGWife
I use to lay in bed and just melt to sleep. I LOVE our mattress! But the past 2 nights, I've been waking up in pain, from my neck to my back. We got me a body pillow and that helps some. I'm usually a side sleeper anyways, but I tend to wake up on my back. Is it bad to sleep on your back?

I just can't believe I'm having sleeping problems already. We've got such a long way to go
November 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have any problems sleeping while pregnant. Like you I'm a side sleeper. I would wake up all the time on my back while pregnant! It happened almost every night. I would roll back over to my side when I woke up like this. There isn't anything you can really do to prevent it from happening. You are still early in your pregnancy and havn't gained much weight. I'm sure you are fine sleeping on your back if it makes you more comfy. I used a boppy pregnancy pillow between my legs and it helped keep me comfy. I hope it's just a fluke and you sleep better tonight!
November 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm more of a right-side sleeper but after reading that sleeping on the left was better I tried to practice this from around 12 weeks. Regardless of how hard I tried I would usually end up on my back at some point in time. I do not think I've had a full unbroken night's sleep since perhaps the same 12 weeks. It was either that I'd get up to put myself back into left side position or that I'd get up because I needed to go to the washroom...at least twice per night.

I've heard and read that sleeping on your back can cause some blood circulation problems as the baby starts to get bigger. A few times, I've caught leg cramps from sleeping on my back so that's why I try so hard to avoid it. But like Resi said, I don't think you can prevent it all together. I'd just try to make sure that I don't sleep on my back for a prolonged period of time.

I like to say that sleep deprivation starts way before the baby's born...even way before the third trimester!

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
*Fiona*
My sleep has been broken for weeks now - if it's not DH snoring, it's hearburn or needing to go the bathroom. They do say once your bump/baby is bigger, sleeping on your back can have the placenta/baby pressing on blood vessels causing you to get low blood pressure. But as long as you are feeling fine, then I wouldn't worry. I'm a lefty side sleeper, and sometimes wake up on my back, not often but sometimes. It doesn't seem to affect my BP but I feel very stretched from my thights and top of my bump if I'm on my back.

Also... I haven't needed bump pillow(s) yet. I'm not too sure how you'd know you need one, but i guess it'd become pretty obvious for comfort reasons?!
November 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In my 3rd tri I was getting up almost every hour to use the washroom! Sleep is a distant memory for me! At least solid sleep..
November 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its pretty much impossible to tell someone to sleep one way. On your Left is the best (but you don't HAVE to do it), on your back can cause issues but you little bean isn't big enough to cause them yet. Plus your body will not let you be comfortable in a position if its unsafe (mother nature just somehow knows). So just lay any position your comfortable in. Sleep dust for you
November 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Morgan I do the SAME thing, I am a side sleeper but somehow wake up on my back. So when I wake up, I go pee and then just go back on my side. I usually switch sides in the night and try to be more on my left. I know on your back isn't good but I don't know at what point it can become a problem. I was hoping it was the kind of thing where you'd wake up if you were really hurting anything.

I want to get a pregnancy pillow, I bet that is comfy. What kind do you have?

November 10th, 2008, 03:11 AM
ANGWife
Quote:
Morgan I do the SAME thing, I am a side sleeper but somehow wake up on my back. So when I wake up, I go pee and then just go back on my side. I usually switch sides in the night and try to be more on my left. I know on your back isn't good but I don't know at what point it can become a problem. I was hoping it was the kind of thing where you'd wake up if you were really hurting anything.

I want to get a pregnancy pillow, I bet that is comfy. What kind do you have?[/b]

I got my body pillow at Target for like $10. When I sleep on my side, my top leg is curled up near my face and the bottom leg is extended. So my top leg is pressing down and my hip is starting to hurt for some reason. That's why I got the pillow.

Alot of you seem to be saying the left side is better? What's the reason behind that?
November 10th, 2008, 06:36 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Let me introduce you all to the main love of my life.....it's called the snoogle pillow. It is seriously addictive, and I have no idea how I lived before it. One of my preggo SIL has one, and so my MIL got me one for my birthday last month. I think you can get it at BRU. It's like a long body pillow, but more narrow. Each end is curved. It is oh so fabulous! And it keeps me on my side if that's anyones main concern.

Here is a link, I hope it works:
http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Snoogle-Tota...w/dp/B0000635WI

Nikki

Come visit my blog!
November 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

I want to get a pregnancy pillow, I bet that is comfy. What kind do you have?[/b]

I got my body pillow at Target for like $10. When I sleep on my side, my top leg is curled up near my face and the bottom leg is extended. So my top leg is pressing down and my hip is starting to hurt for some reason. That's why I got the pillow.

Alot of you seem to be saying the left side is better? What's the reason behind that?
[/b]
I'm feeling lazy-here is link
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy...gpositions.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search