Where do I turn next?

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just had another 23 day cycle. This LP was only 10 days. Fertility friend has now averaged me at 11 days as my typical length, with 3 lp's at 10 days, 4 at 11 days.

I'm on my 3rd month of Vitex (maybe on 4 months now) and its a blend with B6 (a high dosage of it at 100mg).

I'm doing it all right and 2 docs now refuse to put me on progesterone. I'm having some normal cycles then back to short. It doesnt seem to regulate and stay normal and I"m pretty sure I"m ovulating.

I can't keep wasting days off from work with docs who do nothing and tell me to just keep trying- the last doc told me I had to have 3 miscarriages before she tried progesterone or any other medications, and that meant even trying over a years time.

I know its "ok" to have one this length, but I'm at the extreme end of the healthy range- 23 is really the shortest you should have, with 10 days really almost too short for an LP

Thyroid is normal (it was 1.5) Progesterone was borderline at 10.2.

November 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
*Fiona*
My LP was on average 10 days too, and look at me.

I started out on 100mg of B6 but after reading it can be harmful, I dropped to 50mg and it worked good after about 3 cycles.
November 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I've done both 50 and 100 mg. Last time I was on a regimen it was 50 mg and I had the same results- a few months ok then a short cycle, then a few months ok, short cycle. I just happened to get this type of Vitex blend that had 100 mg of B6. Both give me the same results

I know Fi that you got pregnant but I also know for the majority of women that my numbers are borderline and for many problematic

November 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
A*LOT*OF*HOPE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know your exact situation, and I know all situations are different, but, maybe you need another doc!! I have a great Dr, I went into his office one day, and said " I need to be on something to make AF come and then Clomid so I can ovulate, I want you to test my hormones and thyroid, and I want a regular and trans vaginal ultrasound" He looked at me and said "ok"!!! You need a DR who will listen to you, and understand you!!
November 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I really don't know much about this stuff but I think it's stupid that your doctor won't give you progesterone Are you going to try and go to a different doc?
November 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are the Drs you are seeing OBs or REs? I was treated much more aggressively when I went to see an RE. And FYI, it had not been a full year of TTC (in a row) when I went to go but it had been over a year of TTC if you counted from when we started, miscarriage, started again.
I don't know if an RE would see you yet or not, but it might not hurt to ask and see.

Now, as far as LP. Mine used be average of 11-12 with an occassional 9 or 10 day. Still decent but not great. I never really tried B6 or Vitex, just one cycle then I stopped.

I eventually started doing some of the things advised in "The Infertility Cure" for those with progesterone problems and I started getting LPs of 13-14 days. Then I did acupuncture later. I don't really know that that's what got me preggo (I am really inclined to think it was my HSG clearing my tubes out) but who knows, it may have helped.

I don't know how into Eastern medicine you are, but it DID help my LP. I'd highly recommend checking that book out. The main things I did were a heating pad on my abdomen for 10-15 minutes a night before ovulation only, I started drinking room temp water instead of cold from the refrig (and limiting things I ate cold in general), and I added certain foods to my diet that were supposed to help. Relatively simple and it added a day or two to my LP. The basic idea is something like not having enough "kidney yang" means you don't have enough heat and progesterone is the heat producing hormone. So the things I did were to help my body get back in balance, and that's why they were sort of "warming" things.

November 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My LP was 11 and 12 days alternatively and I conceived too but I can't say whether that's normal or not.

I know you've been seeing your docs but what about an RE? I can't remember if any of your docs was an RE. You may get better help there.

On a side note and this is just a simple something you can try. It may or may not help but I have a friend who had some problems and she'd read that carrots (baby or not) can help with conceiving. I don't know if it's just coincidence but she started snacking on baby carrots every day and the month she did, she conceived.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a lot of experience...I have had some short LPs but not consistently. I'm also thinking RE and I was also going to suggest looking into alt. treatments, but Shannon has a lot more experience, so I'd say just look into what she did if you are open to that. I'm sorry things are so frustrating. It def. does suck to take off work to go to the dr. and not get any results. (((HUGS)))

November 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cannot imagine why any doc would want to put you through potentially 3 losses before administering a relatively simple, noninvasive, and safe medication such as progesterone supplements. I mean, would it really HURT to try it? I say look for a new doc or RE as the others said.

One of the only good things about the American health care system is that we are put into the position of "customers" of our health care and in effect you can hire and fire doctors at will.

November 9th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I know most women cant get into an RE around here unless they are recommended by a Doc or trying for a year. I'm not at a year yet. We only started in March, and while I"m on the 11th cycle, its only 9 cycles trying since we took off 2 cycles after the miscarriage

I only have one within 20 miles covered in my insurance so I'll call her Monday and just see. I"m pretty certain she wont take you without a doc referral though (I know two friends who went to her and she just happens to be who is covered by my insurance).

I totally will wait if I need to until I get to a year, but my main gripe is even finding a doc who will give me a referral. Each doc visit is more money and days off. I dont mind taking off if I know its for a good reason (an actual appt) but to try out docs just to find one that will finally give me a referral will be aggrivating
I have to take off a full day in order to go to the doctor or any appt like accupuncture, dentist or so on. I"m not sure how I"m going to work my maternity coverage and monthly visits. We cant take an hour or half day-- its a full 8 hour day off or nothing.

I'd love to do accupuncture and made appts but cant ever get to them. My job just sucks my time as does class. I work in a different city than where I live and typically dont get off till around 6. 2 days a week I have class and dont get home till 8.

I feel pretty defeated at this point. I dont know how other women find the time to do this stuff or I guess have better time off from work than I get. I dont know how nurses get to these appts, cause I know they work 12 hours shifts. I work at a hospital too, just a psych hospital. We dont really get days off, hell I'm working Thanksgiving and the mentality is that patients come first and you take care of yourself on the weekends-- not too many docs open on the weekends!

November 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
but...

I wanted to say and I hope it all works and you get preggo soon!
November 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Quote:
I cannot imagine why any doc would want to put you through potentially 3 losses before administering a relatively simple, noninvasive, and safe medication such as progesterone supplements. I mean, would it really HURT to try it? I say look for a new doc or RE as the others said.

One of the only good things about the American health care system is that we are put into the position of "customers" of our health care and in effect you can hire and fire doctors at will.[/b]

I was SHOCKED when she said that, and she was the practicing midwife at an OB clinic

I really vascilate between optimistic we can do it on our own, and then feeling like we need assistance. My mom just keeps pointing out "Lauren, 2 medical professionals have told you that you dont need progesterone or anything else, so why do you think you need something"
I feel pretty much like a med-seeker and like I'm just being negative when she says that

November 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Man that sucks so bad about your days off! I can't believe you have to take a whole 8 hour day for one appt....jeez. I have never done acupuncture, but it sounds like all that other stuff you can do on your own, the heat therapy and herbal stuff. It's worth a shot anyways! They should have acupuncturists that will come to your house like massage therapists. I wonder if they do?

I don't think you're a med seeker either, your LP just doesn't seem normal at all to me. I know some women have shorter LPs but 10 days is super short!
November 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry Lauren, that really stinks that you can't take off just an hour here or there.

A few more thoughts, it is possible if you went to an acupuncturist and just told him/her that you won't be able to come in for regular appointments, maybe they could still give you advice and herbal supplements. I know mine will do personalized herbal treatments (I just never did that). Also mine is open on some Saturdays so ask about that too just in case. And seriously check out the book because it really does have some good info in it.

I know I heard they would not do any testing until 3 miscarriages, but if I had had two I would have pushed for it until I got it. As far as progesterone, I was told I could take it even though I just had one loss, so it does sound off that they are unwilling to prescribe it.

Oh also, neither here nor there but most of the nurses I know that work 12 hour shifts only have to work work 3 shifts a week to be full time. So then they have 3 days on and 4 days off each week.

Good luck, I am hoping for you that it will happen really soon.

November 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have to say that I work in a field that often advocates mental and personal care for clients but not always so much for the providers (and I think this can be true in all health care). We push and advocate for clients, but as therapists at my hospital we are not afforded the same conditions and often are pushed past the healthy point in terms of client load, in hours spent at work, burn out in paperwork and politics. I know its not forever, but this position is for now. There isnt a way to change jobs at least until Clint graduates and this is just the situation as it is

I'm going to grab that book, ask for Saturday appts and see what else I can do. I"m willing to get creative and even willing to take off work as long as it will be productive. I'm still calling the RE Monday to find out what to do even if I "perceive" I already know the answer

November 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My past obgyn recently stopped taking my insurance. Which was a HUGE inconvenience because they knew my issues, BUT I found a new doc with evening hours 3 times a week. I know when my time comes to TTC, I am going to need help of some sort, maybe. I can tell you that I sometimes have 25 day cycles, and my average LP is 11 days, but more like 9-10 days, and I have never had an issue getting pregnant. My doctor did tell me some women with short LP's take longer to get pregnant, but it isn't a huge cause of worry for doctors. That's what I have been told. They usually prescribe BCP's for 2-3 months to regulate, and then try again. I was also told I would be able to try clomid, if I wanted. I get this all from an obgyn.......although, I have my first appt with the new obgyn and who knows what they will say.

But keep trying different docs, even if you can just get an appt with a family doc, who may be able to make recommendations.

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
November 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Isn't there over the counter progesterone? Would you feel comfortable just taking that? Ask your provider what it would hurt for you to be on it and see if their willing just to let you "try your way" for a month or two with the progesterone. With your level being what it is I don't have any clue why they wouldn't just give you some.
November 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
^ yes there is an OTC Progesterone cream. I tried it for a few months, and had both no success in changes AND turned me into a horrible screamed puddle of hormones. I will totally try it again if I had to but it was a very bad experience. It also shortened my cycles the first 2 months, and then went back to "normal", or at least normal for me

B6 and Vitex were making the most improvments until this month when it just back slid to 10 day lp's and 23 day cycles and I have no clue why. I know cycles can fluxuate, but I"m not liking this fluxuation!

I am so with you Angela, I have no clue why they wont prescribe, especially when there arent negative side effects (like others have) and I clearly am at the end of the spectrum at a level 10 and could clearly benefit from it. The fact that they dont prescribe it makes me think I'm doing something wrong or I'm focusing on the wrong area when they "know" what they are doing. I'm just so frustrated

November 10th, 2008, 03:14 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
^ yes there is an OTC Progesterone cream. I tried it for a few months, and had both no success in changes AND turned me into a horrible screamed puddle of hormones. I will totally try it again if I had to but it was a very bad experience. It also shortened my cycles the first 2 months, and then went back to "normal", or at least normal for me

B6 and Vitex were making the most improvments until this month when it just back slid to 10 day lp's and 23 day cycles and I have no clue why. I know cycles can fluxuate, but I"m not liking this fluxuation!

I am so with you Angela, I have no clue why they wont prescribe, especially when there arent negative side effects (like others have) and I clearly am at the end of the spectrum at a level 10 and could clearly benefit from it. The fact that they dont prescribe it makes me think I'm doing something wrong or I'm focusing on the wrong area when they "know" what they are doing. I'm just so frustrated[/b]
What do they say when you ask them for it? Do they at least give you a good reason they aren't doing it? Some doctors you need to be almost controlling direct with-Have you flat out said-"-I want Progesterone prescription unless you can tell me why its unsafe for me"? (sometimes a little bossy works-heck if they don't give you a good reason, they may just give it to you to shut you up LOL---I don't normally use that tactic but "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" I find is unfortunately true alot of the time).
November 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Garfieldbear's Avatar Super Mommy
Perhaps you might need something more potent, like Clomid....I know Clomid improves the LP....I definately agree with the others that you need to see an RE, and I'm stumped that they won't accept pateints without a doctor's order....maybe if you changed your doctor, and then got this new doctor to give you a referral? I would do everything I could to go to an RE....what a frustrating experience

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search