I Failed My 1 Hr Test

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
I'm kinda worried. I know lots of woman fail the first and pass the three hour but... did anyone here??

James is quite worried.

Anyone have any advice? If I have gestational diabetes what does that mean for me and for baby?

The limit (In Canadian measurement, I guess?) is 7.8 and I got 11.1. She said I failed by a little bit but that seems like a lot.

Ya I'm worried.

Any advice? James is there getting my requisition form for my three hour test and hopefully will get more information.

November 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Ugh that sucks because you'll have to do a 3 hour I think I had to do a 3 hour last time because I remember sitting there for a long time and I was SOOOOOO HUNGRY! But I didn't have GD. I wouldn't worry too much, have you had any symptoms or anything?
November 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since I've never been pregnant I don't know a whole lot about it... but it def. isn't unheard of to fail the first and pass the second. I know Justine had GD and I think Tanya too? Angela maybe?

November 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not have GD but they said I had high blood sugar & made me go to a nutritionist. I cut down on carbs & sugars and I delivered a normal-sized baby. So yeah, I was told I failed both tests.

What I'm planning for this time (since I didn't actually have it and I figure if I do this won't help anyhow) is to cut down on carbs & sugars a week before my test. Then I'm going to make sure I get some exercise in (even if I'm on alleged mod. bed rest...mild walking should not interfere). I always have high blood sugar when I haven't been exercising, so I think that is probably what did it last time. (I was just too exhausted and hot to keep it up by that time.)

November 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Okay. Well I'm going to do some shopping with MIL tomorrow so that will help in the excersize department!

Thanks ladies

November 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
Don't worry, sweetie, I failed my 1 hour with Lily, too. I went on to pass the 3 hr, which is the more important of the two tests anyway. The 1 hr basically says there may be a problem, you need to test further while the 3 hr will tell you if there actually IS a problem. *hugs*

November 10th, 2008, 10:20 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
I failed both. For me it meant making good carb choices each day. They put me on a point system and I just had to make sure that I didn't exceed my points for the day. I also tried to go for a 20-30 minute walk each day.

I really hope that you pass the 3 hour test, but having GD wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
November 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks ladies We had a great talk and we are ready to take on whatever happens!

I'm just worried that I wont pass... I mean I didn't eat a thing since 9 or 10 the night before and that was a couple pieces of pizza and a pop or two. Then I did my drink at 10:45 and did the blood test at 11:45.

But I guess we'll see!

I'm going in on Wednesday to do the test and will get results Thursday at the latest. If I fail me and hubby go to a 2 hour class at the hospital to learn what exactly happens next.

Hopefully I pass! That seems like an easier option haha.

November 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Good luck hon!

November 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
I had GD. Well, I still kind of question if I did or not since my numbers from the 3 hour were so borderline and I never once had an abnormal fasting blood sugar reading, but oh well. I simply followed a diet and exercised. The diet was not NEARLY as restrictive as I would have thought and was expecting, and I even cheated a lot in the end because I was huge and miserable and all I wanted was a nice big slice of coconut cake! Anyway, for me, it just involved a few weeks (maybe 2 weeks?) of pricking my finger after every meal AND first thing in the morning, and then the rest of the pregnancy I only tested my fasting levels (first thing in the morning) and one meal every day. They taught me how to count carbs and I was limited to a certain amount per meal. I really think it helped me control my weight gain, so that's a positive!

The ONLY bad thing was that they had told me that the placenta can age more quickly in GD patients, plus the threat of a huge baby. So they induced me when I was 3 days overdue and I don't think I needed to be. My numbers were good all throughout, and as it turned out, my placenta was fine and my baby was average sized! So if you DO have GD, please don't let anyone pressure you into an induction if you don't feel you're totally ready!! Especially if you keep your numbers under control.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you pass!!

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
November 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I just wanted to say.....shopping is the best kind of exercise
November 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck with the 3-hour test.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 11th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Garfieldbear's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry about the news, but I recently read somewhere that 1/3 women fail the first test and that most of those women who failed the first time end up passing the second test....

November 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful encouragement ladies!! Today I've ate a 6inch sub from subway and a bottle of water, and a roast beef sandwich from Arby's, curly fries and a bottle of water. My last meal was at 6ish. Then I had a couple pickles right before nine. My test is starting at 7am.

I hope I pass.

Oh I have also been on my feet from 11am to 8pm. (well shopping haha)

November 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
How was your test today, Stephy? When will you get your results?

November 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM
It was alright. I mean I'm not a huge fan of needles but other then that it was fine haha. The drink had more sugar or glucose I guess it is.

Hubby came with so we had fun together waiting forever hehe.

No results yet. I'm thinking/hoping tomorrow but I'm sure by Friday. My Drs office is usually fantastic with calling me with results. It was SUPER busy though, so we'll see!!

November 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
KUP!!!! Like someone else said---a good chunk of girls fail the first one, and pass the second. And even if you do have it--its not as bad as your are probably thinking.
Good luck!!!!
November 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm sorry you didn't pass the 1 hour test.. (hugs) I also pray you pass the 3 hour test..

I had Gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Adriana. When I failed the 3 hour test, I was border line.. But if you follow your dietitians/Endo's advice, you and your baby will be just fine.. And if you have to go on insulin, go on insulin (I wouldn't do the pill, it crosses the Placenta). Don't think just because you go on insulin, your a failure.. And the needles aren't that bad.. But I will admit, giving myself insulin shots in my stomach while pregnant was the toughest part of the diabetes.. I was on a moderate amount of insulin for my fasting blood sugars and diet and exercise couldn't not control it.. But in the end, my daughter was born 6 lbs 15 oz's and perfectly healthy.. And even to this day, she's in the 50 percentile for her height, weight, and head measurements which means she's growing "perfectly" and not that many babies grow that way.. Just stay positive and follow your Endo/dieticians advice. And the postive side of having GD is that you don't gain that much weight.. I only gained a total of 5 lbs through out my pregnancy and I lost it all and then some when Adriana was born.. That's one part I didn't mind about having GD.. hehe..

Also, what misfitinmn said about being induced.. If your baby is measuring perfectly and your numbers are in control.. I would try to do the inducement as late as possible.. I was induced at 39 weeks and 1 day and my body was not even ready to have a baby, I didn't have any contractions until they started the Pitocin.. And Adriana was not even engaged in the birth canal.. My inducement lasted 32 hours.. I had to get induced before 40 weeks because I was on insulin.. But if I had a choice, I would have waited a few days.. Even though I know the wait wouldn't have made a difference..

Quote:
have you had any symptoms or anything?[/b]
Most women who have GD never had any symptoms.. I never had any signs of symptoms of having GD.. But my diabetes was caught before it did any harm to Adriana..

November 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Oops Sorry I missed your question Katie! I have been very tired lately but I just think that comes with pregnancy, stress, having a toddler etc.

Thanks for all the help girls Thanks Adriana's Mommy (I don't know your name haha), for your personal experience too!

Still no results yet. We're thinking tomorrow.

November 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Glad the test wasn't so bad. I remember being really cranky during my 3 hour because I was tired & hungry, LOL.

And wow, you sure did lots of shopping the other day!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search