Health Insurance

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
DH's coverage through work is changing. The company is changing to Healthy Blue, part of Blue Cross Blue Shield. The coverage is great, but it's a more expensive plan. We're trying to choose between normal coverage and the buy up plan. The difference in overall yearly cost is a 2,600. Thats a big number. The thing is, I'm planning to be preggo next year... with no guarantee whatsoever. I've heard other preggo's say that they wish they had gotten the buy up plan, because prenatal care is expensive. But is it worth it? Will the coverage cover the difference in price? Does anyone know what prenatal care would cost?

}
November 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I am not really sure because I have tricare military insurance so I never have to worry about it. BUT, my friend had a baby while we were in CA and her hospital bill was $27,000!!! Her daughter had some complications and was in the NICU for maybe a week. But I know hospital births are super expensive, not sure about the actual prenatal doctors visits.

I would just go over each plan and see what they cover as far as maternity/baby stuff goes.
November 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My delivery bill was around $12,000 and I had a vaginal birth with an epidural with no complications for me or Taylor. That doesn't include all the OB visits throughout the pregnancy which were around $200 each time.

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

November 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
My OB in Charlotte charged $2300 for all routine, prenatal care - that included two ultrasounds, routine lab work, thirteen prenatal appointments, and vaginal delivery. Anything more than that would incur an additional charge. My new OB in San Antonio charges $3600 for the same services. My hospital bill from delivering Lily was around $10,000 (can't remember exactly what it was, but around there) and that was for a vaginal delivery with an epidural and zero complications. The estimate for this baby's delivery is $15,000.

You should be able to call up your OB/GYN (or prospective OB) and ask what they charge for routine prenatal care and a vaginal delivery - they should be able to at least ballpark it for you. Good luck!

November 13th, 2008, 12:02 AM
that pretty much settles it. I would have to pay 20% of all hospital visits, and at that price, it is still more than the 2,600. I think i'll just deal with the buy-up and pray to God that i get pregnant and don't waste it!

}
November 13th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! Insurance can sure be frustrating! I can't even find our plan in print--arg!
November 13th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My bill was around$25-30 for a c/s! After insurance we are paying around $3000 out of pocket.
November 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM
thanks everyone! My entire maternity experience will be completely free of charge on the buy-up. Definatley taking it now.

}
November 13th, 2008, 06:39 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Wow...this makes me almost glad that I'm in the military and didn't have to pay anything
November 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dumb question maybe...first what does DH do? Because the best insurance I have ever seen came from hospital employees.....what does your job offer?
November 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Does anyone know what prenatal care would cost?[/b]
You can contact your local hospital and they can give you an estimate on a normal delivery and post partum stay..

I paid around $4,000 for all my OB visits, Endo/dietician appointments ($40 a visit!!), Non Stress tests (3 times a week for 5 weeks), U/S ( I had 7), 3 day hospital stay (2 days in labor and delievery and 1 day in post partum), and all of Adriana's bill's (hospital stay and Pediatrician's visit). And I was considered high risk. I'm blessed that I get free insurance from my work.. But we have a $1,200 deductible to meet before we start paying 20%.. But my employer gives us $750 a year to use for medical expenses and my work payed my deductible. So it all works out in the end..

November 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have open enrollment on my health benefits right now, too. I was debating the same thing, and after looking at all the numbers DH has convinced me to do the higher plan as well. Basically what it boils down to is the lower HMO would be best if I have a completely healthy pregnancy and birth, but in the event of problems/tests/procedures or an emergency delivery, the higher PPO will pay off. So we are going to be safe.

November 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[quote]that pretty much settles it. I would have to pay 20% of all hospital visits, and at that price, it is still more than the 2,600. I think i'll just deal with the buy-up and pray to God that i get pregnant and don't waste it!quote]

Check and see if you have a maximum out of pocket cost. My insurance covers 80% of delivery but I have a $1500 out of pocket max per plan year so I know I won't pay more than $1500.

November 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
Wow. So pricey. I can't imagine having to worry about insurance and cost of having a baby.

November 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Dumb question maybe...first what does DH do? Because the best insurance I have ever seen came from hospital employees.....what does your job offer?[/b]
Unfortunately that couldn't be farther from the truth. I work for a viahealth hospital and get viahealth insurance. Which means I get their doctors and their hospital etc. They only offer HMO.

In Rochester there are quite a few hospitals that are very competitive. The most heavily competitive are RGH (my hospital, not so much money, but leading heart hospital) and Strong (affiliated with local college, lots of money)

I've had quite a few health problems in my past and had to search high and low to find a doctor to help me. At the moment all of my doctor with the exception of my OB are doctors from Strong. If I switched to my insurance, I would lose them all.

DH works for a market research company and gets good old fashioned blue cross blue shield. It is a PPO plan allowing me to have access to any doctor I like. I will get lower deductables too.

}
November 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^ Well I'm glad he gets the good stuff at least! I would check the out of pocket also--you may just have a limit on both.
We don't have an option on our insurance while we travel-we pay 5 times what we would have with my insurance when I was working. But it covers EVERYTHING, since alternative medicine is the norm in many countries it pays for accupunture/chiropractic/midwife/herbalist/etc. Also we have emergency evacuation with family travel benefits with major illness. (so if i am in a not so great health care region and really need serious care they fly/helocopter me to the nearest approved hospital)...its great...but its expensive!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search