firmness?

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok so I know what a soft /medium cervix feels like on other women from doing my checks at the hospital. But I don't think I have ever felt someone else's firm cervix. So the entire time I have been charting (since JAN) I have been marking firm for what I thought was my firm. Well the last few days its not some much firm as it is VERY Firm/Hard....which is not the norm for me. I do have a UTI and am on antibiotics--but I don't know how/if they would cause this firm of a cervix.....now I'm wondering if this is my true firm and then I never really had a true firm before (the reason I think this is because I am starting to wonder if my losses were due to an incompetent cervix since even while preggers this last time my cervix seem to me my normal med some days soft and not really even my normal hard---which in HINDSIGHT should have caused me to wonder ).
So here is my weird question...and I have no idea how to measure this LOL but how firm is your firm?
Here is how I would explain mine
soft-like squeezing the side of my tongue while its relaxed, med-like squeezing the middle of my tongue while sticking it out, firm (before firmer then med but softer then my now firm), firm now--like squeezing my big toe. (hope this kind of makes sense! )

Also does anyone have/know anyone who had an incompetent cervix? I would love to hear how the doctors/midwives caught it and which way they fixed it!
November 14th, 2008, 04:36 AM
KatiInCT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no real answer for you but I just wanted you to know you are going to have women everywhere sticking their tongue out at your post. I mean, sticking out their tongue for your post.

Osric O'Dell M...... December 10, 2009: 7lbs 14.2 oz, 21 inches
(NEW SIGGY SOON!
)
November 14th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I know!
November 14th, 2008, 04:44 AM
*Fiona*
i couldn't very often tell the difference between my CP being hard or soft so only marked it when it was noticeably different. Not much help to you, sorry!
November 14th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried feeling for my cervix a couple times but could never quite figure out what I was feeling so I gave up on that (was too paranoid I'd give myself an infection even though I would clean my hands prior.)

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They say firm should feel like the tip of your nose, my firm feels firmer than that. I'd have to go with your big toe reference. Soft is very soft, blends in with the rest of the vaginal wall. Medium is just that, somewhere in between. I don't know anyone personally that had an incompetent cervix but I think the only fix for something like that would be a cerclage somewhere around 12 weeks. Don't quote me on that though. I'd definitely bring it up with your midwife though, I'm sure she could shed a lot of light on the situation for you. I does make sense though, especially since you seem to be prone to multiples.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

November 14th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry I cant be of much help as I never could find my cervix when i was charting. Though your post gave me a vague idea of what i'm looking for so maybe if i start charting again i'll try finding it.

i also wanted to let you know that i stuck my tongue out for your post! lol
November 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
I also stuck out my tongue for your post

As far as telling the firmness of your cervix, I'm still learning that myself. This has been my first month of consistently checking it daily...and it really seems to move all over the place and change from soft to firm daily. I must be doing something wrong, lol

November 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Yes tip of my nose was my old firm, but now I have the toe thing! LOL Keep looking for that cervix ladies it really cool to see the changes in it (my second month I started figuring it out).
November 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I tried feeling for my cervix a couple times but could never quite figure out what I was feeling so I gave up on that (was too paranoid I'd give myself an infection even though I would clean my hands prior.)[/b]
November 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i think you have too much nursey knowledge syndrome young lady. You just know too much about what can go wrong! Anyhoo, my cervix doesn't get rock hard, but it is hard enough to cause discomfort during intercourse.

An incompetant cervix is something that your doctor should be able to detect in early pregnancy. I have a friend that has that problem, and she gets stitched up with every pregnancy.

November 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd say that my firm was somewhere in between the firmness of my nose and my big toe. There was still a little "give" to it, but not a whole lot. But I never have checked it since getting pregnant because I was afraid of infection or disturbing my mucus plug.

My OB did a pap at 10 weeks so I'm assuming she would have seen if something looked amiss. Not sure. Cervical incompetence is one of those things I am not allowed to google. Along with amniotic fluid leaks.

If you did have that problem, I bet they would do a cerclage.

November 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Quote:
i think you have too much nursey knowledge syndrome young lady. You just know too much about what can go wrong![/b]
NOOOOOO I wouldn't do that!c
November 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I've never squeezed my cervix. When mine is super firm, it's like pressing my fingertip against my chin. When it's soft, it's like pressing my fingertip against my cheek. HTH.

November 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hehehe! I can just see everyone sticking their tongue out right now!

I'm still trying to work it out, but when mine feels 'firm', it's like the tip of my nose. When it's 'soft', I literally can't find it - it seems to blend in with the edges of my vaginal wall or too high up!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search