vaccinations

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oliver has his 2 month check up this coming Monday. I'm not sure what I plan to do about vaccinations. Before I had him I was thinking about getting none or none until he was older. I have been slacking on the research and now I need to get to it. I know my doc is open to select and maybe holding off. I'm nervous about going in there and telling her what I want for some reason.

I would like to know what everyone here is doing or plans to do. Angela (soimarriedanerd), I know you did a lot of research and since you are a nurse what is your take?
November 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Angelaosaurus-rex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whoa I was just about to ask the same thing lol!!! Do you know winch ones they get at 2 months?

Thanks so much to Helen for my beautiful siggy

November 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
Here is my schedule. This is for the province of BC in Canada. Perhaps there is one for where you live? I'm thinking they would most likely be the same but you never know!

http://www.bchealthguide.org/immunization.stm

We vaccinated Curtis but I never ever put a rush on getting him in at the "correct" time. The nurses always said he just couldn't be UNDER 2 months, but any time after that was fine. He was late for most of them haha. But he is, as of now, all caught up!

Oh and Resi! Don't be scared to speak up about delaying or not vaccinating him. I may be a vaccinating momma but I'm all for momma's making that decision on their own! If you decide to do delay or not do them at all, I hope that discussion goes well for you

November 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I have managed to convince DF to delay once i showed him the ingredients. New York State only requires vaccinations for daycares and schools sooooooooooo.. we have plenty of time.

I had a screaming match with the NP at my RE clinic. Shes like "On monday at your u/s you'll also be getting a flu shot" and im like "No, Im not' and shes like "You have to your pregnant!!". Last time myself or DF had the flu shot, we got the flu. Last year he didnt get the shot and he didnt get the flu. Needless to say, i told her sorry, i dont vaccinate. She was kinda annoyed LOL.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
November 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan to vaccinate but it will most likely be delayed vaccinations. I'm not sure what our schedules are but I know they give you a list here.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
Resi, the same thing happened to me. I wanted to select and delay, but because I didn't do my research in time and felt intimidated to "tell the doctor what to do", I just went ahead with the routine schedule. I hope you are able to get everything figured out.
November 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I plan on delaying until he is two years old and then re-thinking what I want to get and not get. At this point I don't want him to get anything.
November 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is the short version of what we are doing (feel free to ask questions-I'm on a internet time limit in Cambodia with internet)....
This is assuming a healthy child---

Polio (normal time---because we travel to active polio locations-otherwise I would delay till 3 also, this is the only vaccine I personally get also).
MMR- broken up into single shots and delayed till 3 yrs old
DTaP-delayed till 3 yrd old
Hopefully get my kids to have the chicken poxs so they can avoid that vaccine, I will try to get them exposed to this after 6months old.
No others.
-we will do one vaccine at a time and a minimum of a month apart.
-we will do titers to see if they need less or more after every shot. (I personally needed like 8 shots of Hep B for it to work, and I had a life altering reaction to the MMR shot as a child-but that was the old one)
November 19th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I plan to vaccinate. Adriana has had all her required vaccinations and I will plan on doing the same with my next child.. There's pro's and con's to both sides.. I plan to protect Adriana due to the fact that many children her age are not getting vaccinated and those diseases that we thought were gone are going to come back. I want her to be protected so I choose to vaccinate..

November 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know there are a couple that my baby will NOT be getting. Hep B, Hep A, and probably a few others (Hib). For those who are not aware, Hepatitis B is transmitted through blood and body fluid. This is the vacacine that I think they give to newborns. Can someone explain why my newborn would need this vaccine?
I do plan to have baby get MMR, DTap at the least, maybe others, but no idea about what schedule I will do it on. What is the reasoning behind waiting until age 3?

November 20th, 2008, 12:14 AM
^^^^The idea for age three for me is that Autism is USUALLY diagnosed (or at least noticed somethings up) by age three. Plus the child's immune system is fully developed (and in my opinion) more able to handle the vaccines appropriately.
Hep B is the vaccine we give routine to newborns....NO IDEA why they do that, since I haven't even heard of baby's getting Hep A/B in the states. I didn't need it till I WORKED with blood/body fluids as a nurse.

Most of the diseases that we vaccine for aren't really killers or life altering with treatment (besides polio) we have the medicine to treat everything. My DH got every vaccine on the market except for yellow fever (he will get it if we go to a country he needs it) and I don't do anything but a Polio booster every 10yrs and a DTap every few years (you can't break this one up or I would)......and we travel to the hot spots of most of these diseases. DH is actually sick alot, if anyone has anything he gets it....we laugh about it all the times, since he got a ton of them 2 yrs ago when we went on the road he has been the sickest in his life, he has a kidney problem though-so I do encourage him to get the shots. I'm healthy- I don't feel I need all that extra stuff.
November 20th, 2008, 09:13 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hep B is the vaccine we give routine to newborns....NO IDEA why they do that, since I haven't even heard of baby's getting Hep A/B in the states. I didn't need it till I WORKED with blood/body fluids as a nurse.[/b]
I didn't get the Hep B vaccine until I started working in a lab with blood. I figure if my child decides to go into the health profession then, they can go get the vaccine. I really don't know why anything would be given to a newborn. Babies don't even really have an immune system to speak of when they are born, which is part of why breastfeeding is so good (they get mom's antibodies).
This is one reason I am thinking of having my mom in the delivery room. She can be with me because I want Dh to go with the baby as soon as it's born. His job is to watch baby like a hawk and make sure they don't do anything that we haven't authorized. Of course we will tell them we don't want Hep B given, but I've heard the stories of how sometimes they do it anyway, and it happens so fast you don't realize it till it's done.

If you go back and look at how many vaccines WE got (for example 1980s when I was little) it was much less. That's kind of my philosophy for giving the ones that I'll give, they are the ones that I got as a child. I still need to research some of the others like Rotavirus and Pneumococcal.

November 20th, 2008, 10:55 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
oh boy! This is something im having problems with too. So far Cambria has only had a hep b in the hospital when she was born. ONLY cause i wasnt doing my research at that time and felt obligated to do so Now that she is 5 months she hasnt had anything done! I plan on deleying them for as long as possiable. Im defintly not getting her the MMR till shes 3! I agree with Angela on the autisim part. Unfortunetly there only one place that will break them up and it's in Santa Monica, 2 hours away. So I might have to do them all at once when we get to that point. There is a girl in my DDC that was talked into giving her daughter the rotovirius vaccine and her daughter ended up in the ER for days and almost died from it...thats scarey! DH wants her to have everything now so are always fighting about it I soooooo dont like the ingredients in these vaccines and it really doesnt have to do with the cemicals. I dont like the dead animals and aborted fetus parts that they use!!! So far my doc has been great about not being pushey so I feel lucky there. My SIL just gave her triplets theres for the first time and only cause they are entering school, there 3. I hope this helps a bit and makes sense cause im NAK
November 20th, 2008, 05:05 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I have been on a research kick lately about this very subject. I don't really consider myself pro or anti vaccination, but rather just want to know I've done everything possible to educate myself before making decisions. I will say that I got the Dr. Sears vaccine book, and finished it in two days. It's very factual and neutral. If you are looking for a source that provides facts without being passionate either direction, then it's a good read. It gives all the ingredients, what they are and mean, and which different drug companies make the different vaccines. It also explains all the diseases, and risks associated with each disease that the vaccine is for.
I really like the fact that it gives some alternative schedules, delayed schedules, and actually recommends which vaccines to skip if you want to selectively vax. It does that while also giving the AAP schedule, so you can quickly flip back and forth to see the differences.
The book was only around $13. VERY worth the money. I highly recommend it!
Nikki

Come visit my blog!
November 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Quote:
I have been on a research kick lately about this very subject. I don't really consider myself pro or anti vaccination, but rather just want to know I've done everything possible to educate myself before making decisions. I will say that I got the Dr. Sears vaccine book, and finished it in two days. It's very factual and neutral. If you are looking for a source that provides facts without being passionate either direction, then it's a good read. It gives all the ingredients, what they are and mean, and which different drug companies make the different vaccines. It also explains all the diseases, and risks associated with each disease that the vaccine is for.
I really like the fact that it gives some alternative schedules, delayed schedules, and actually recommends which vaccines to skip if you want to selectively vax. It does that while also giving the AAP schedule, so you can quickly flip back and forth to see the differences.
The book was only around $13. VERY worth the money. I highly recommend it!
Nikki[/b]

Ya I got that book to. It is a good book for Research!
November 25th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Quote:
This is the short version of what we are doing (feel free to ask questions-I'm on a internet time limit in Cambodia with internet)....
This is assuming a healthy child---

Polio (normal time---because we travel to active polio locations-otherwise I would delay till 3 also, this is the only vaccine I personally get also).
MMR- broken up into single shots and delayed till 3 yrs old
DTaP-delayed till 3 yrd old
Hopefully get my kids to have the chicken poxs so they can avoid that vaccine, I will try to get them exposed to this after 6months old.
No others.
-we will do one vaccine at a time and a minimum of a month apart.
-we will do titers to see if they need less or more after every shot. (I personally needed like 8 shots of Hep B for it to work, and I had a life altering reaction to the MMR shot as a child-but that was the old one)[/b]
Thanks Angela. We went to the doctor yesterday and she said everything is up to us. I told her I would like to delay until around 2 years old. She recommened we at least get the DTaP now because there are cases of whopping cough in our area every year. Now I'm torn. I told her I was going to think about it some more. What do you think?
November 25th, 2008, 07:59 AM
If it was me-I would still delay. A healthy individual/child very rarely has long term complications even if they do get Whopping cough. With ALL these things (especially things that are active in your area) you NEED to know what to look for and then treat it accordingly, as long as you catch it your good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search