Organic Milk

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Any of you ladies strictly drink Organic Milk? If so, do you have any problems drinking regular milk?

Adriana has been on Organic Formula since she was 6 months old and she started Organic whole milk at 11 months. The only milk she has had that wasn't organic was my breast milk. A few weeks ago, the Organic milk I brought for Adriana supply at day care ran out.. So, they gave her regular whole milk and that night she had vary loose/runny stools (you know #2).. Then today, daycare said she ran out of her organic milk again and they gave her regular whole milk and she had 2 vary loose stool diapers.. I can tell it was due to milk because it smelled like her infant days. It also stated on her daily infant chart that she threw up the milk. Adriana doesn't drink generic Organic milk, I buy here either Horizon with DHA or Organic Valley so she drinks the good stuff. Do you think she may have had a reaction? Or is she just spoiled and wants the good tasting milk?

Thanks for you help ladies..

Melissa

November 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
I would think her little body just isn't used to the regular milk! It could be a reaction or something but maybe it was just a shock to her body?

I'm not expert, just my thoughts!

November 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never heard of having a reaction with non-organics after only having something that is organic. I guess it could be possible. I personally only drink and buy organic milk. I also buy about 90% of our food organic. I never had any problems when eating something non-organic.
November 21st, 2008, 06:36 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I'm in the states I only drink organic milk, When I was in CO I had a milk man even-glass jar fresh organic milk....yummmmm. Ok where was I going with this....oh yeah!..... Troy is lactose intolerant and for some reason he can drink more organic milk then the regular milk--he gets bad stomach pains and loose stools with reg. milk. He still gets it with organic but he has to drink alot more of it to get to the same point though. I have no idea why that is.
November 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope you don't mind me putting my two cents in here. I know quite a lot about farming as I grew up on one and also have an agriculture degree and soon to have a veterinary degree. The organic milk is identical in composition to regular milk. No difference at all. Many of these organic farms were regular farms at one time and they only tend to go into organic production because of the added price they get for their milk. The farmers, the cows, and the facilities are the same as any other farm. In fact a cow that was giving milk in a regular dairy can then be switched over to an organic dairy.

Sorry if I offended anyone- I didn't mean to! I hope Adriana feels better soon- she probably pick up something from food or milk.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
November 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
No Ive heard it to be true too. Im sure the regular milk Is/was alot harsher on her tummy. Im sorry, I hope she feels better. DH has the same problem as Angelas. When I do buy Him Organic milk he's fine. But when he has regular he's in the bathroom all the time I wish I could afford to buy her Horizon all the time, that stuff's WAY to expensive!!!
November 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Amy look into a local farmer-they were much cheaper for me the the store bought stuff.
November 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Im to scared to. Where we moved to Is pretty much the "farm" mecca of where most things come from. Only thing Is there's alot of Unethical treatment of animals and the way they do there food. So I sont think I want to get milk or products directly from them....I dont know may sound weird. I know Im still getting the same thing from the store. I just get my eggs organic and Im carefull with my milk. Which I rarely drink any. Maybe a bowl of cereal a month.
November 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Some farms will let you come out and see how they treat the animals-(usually most organic farms do this!). It may be a good way for you to check things out and a fun day trip for Cambria! But i get what your saying.
November 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the same thing as Angela's Troy. I am lactose intolerant, and if I have coffee with regular milk in it, I get really sick to my stomach, and I get really grouchy, miserable, get heartburn, etc. For some reason, my body doesn't react to the organic milk, especially the fat free or low fat variety. And people tell me all the time that there is NO difference, but try telling my stomach that!

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
November 22nd, 2008, 03:03 AM
I guess i know there is no difference in the cows or the way they get the milk off the cows, but my understanding was the difference is in what food they are given and their living conditions.
November 22nd, 2008, 03:56 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought the difference between the organic and other milk (not the powdered kinds,etc) was related to what the cows were fed. For example, if they're just roaming and eating grass, etc then they tend to tag that as organic but if they're feed those mixed feeds then they don't categorize it as organic.

Either way, I think that Adriana's stomach is probably not used to the other milk or there's something in it that's causing the reaction.

If you know a chemist, you can get both milks tested. I know that for some of the milk products here that go really fast, people buy in bulk and freeze them. I've never tried this but I guess it could be something to consider.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Thank you ladies for your responses..

Adriana is feeling much better now. I instructed the daycare that next time she runs out of milk, just to give her water..

I've also heard that there's no difference between regular milk vs. organic milk. I even had a Pharmacist student lecture me about it.. lol But there is a difference in taste. My DH is vary picky about his milk and he will only drink certain brands.. Since we started drinking Organic milk, he won't drink the regular stuff again.. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search