It's turning purple!

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2009, 04:30 AM
ANGWife
Henry started worrying me last night. I took off his diaper to put him in the bath and I notice as soon as I put him in the water, the tip of his penis started turning purple. Not bright purple, but it was a noticeable change. So I gave him a bath as quick as I could because I thought he may be too cold. I put on another diaper and his sleeper to warm him up. I checked him in 10 minutes and when I pealed the diaper away, it wasn't back to normal but was lightening. Then it started to turn purple again. He didn't seem to be in any pain and he had just peed so I figured he was fine.

This morning when I changed his diaper (it was wet which I thought was good), and it was starting to turn purple again. I'm going to call his pedi when the office opens today. Anyone have experience with this? Am I overreacting?
July 27th, 2009, 06:27 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have absolutely no idea. Sorry I can't be of any help but I'm curious to know what your doctor says.

July 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Bre+Will=Reid
I think its totally normall. Reid's does that all the time. Sometimes its purple, sometimes its skin color. I have never associated it with anything. If he doesn't seem uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it...but go with your mommy gut
July 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It could be a decrease blood flow when cold as a side effect of a circ (not sure if you did circ or not) but that they usually just grow out of it (some blood vessels will spider vein out to increase the blood flow to the top portion).
Also it could be the opposite--to much blood flow---infants can get erections, which is a major increase in blood flow to that area...so it would get darker before it got hard, you may just have caught it in the transition period.
Is that the only spot that turned purple? If so its probably just going to be a watch and see thing. If it was other parts of the body they may do other things depending on how often it happens and to where.
July 27th, 2009, 09:47 AM
n/a
Hmm, I dunno. Jack isn't circ so it all looks the same, but it sounds like something normal. I did a google search and lots of other moms have sons with purple heads on their penises.
July 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
HopeWishWait's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Conner's does that sometimes too...I've never worried about it because it goes away on its own and he never seems uncomfortable or fussy so I just guessed it wasn't causing him any pain.

July 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My nephews used to do that pretty often too. He was circumcised, so I dont know if that is what the common factor is here, but I think its pretty normal as far as how often ive seen it on my nephew.
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

July 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ian is Circ'd and his used to do the same thing - if hes not uncomfy, dont worry about it
July 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I would say since he was IN a warm bath at the time it is probably more likely an increase blood flow thing (baby erection starting, they can get totally erect at that age-so don't let that freak you out--its normal). If it was AFTER bath when his penis gets cold then I would think more of the "its just needs warmed" thinking.
July 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Matthew's has looked purplish as well sometimes, I haven't noticed when, could be when he is more cold.
For some reason, when he goes erect, that usually means he's about to pee everywhere, haha.

July 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It must be a circumcision thing. Oliver isn't circumcised and we never had a purple penis here.
July 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
I never noticed this with Ryan when he was a young baby
July 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMVT View Post
For some reason, when he goes erect, that usually means he's about to pee everywhere, haha.
I've heard that before!!! Men they are just so "happy" to pee on things!
July 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never knew that before but I'm happy to hear that it's totally normal.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
July 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resi View Post
It must be a circumcision thing. Oliver isn't circumcised and we never had a purple penis here.

Though when the pedi pulled back his foreskin to see how far it retracts(almost all the way now, she said he will be fully by the time hes 4), it was purple under there, but I figured thats just cause its never really seen the light of day ( except for once when a stupid NP when he was a newborn jerked it back and yelled at me for not circumcising him)

July 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've seen it in kids I've worked with, and the nurse said it's normal, and nothing to worry about it.

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
July 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I figured erection type blood flow

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search