CD?'s

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I know I've herd somewhere that CD's are cheaper in the long run then disposables, but I also know they are very spendy to start up. What is the over all savings (if anyone knows) and is there any way to cheaply start up? I'm trying to save us money monthly with the issues with dh's work but I also dont really have much to buy lots of things (I've herd somewhere that its around $500 out of pocket upfront for CD's)

July 31st, 2009, 11:18 AM
chellerenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no experience with cloth diapering since I have no kids, but I would think you could get our pretty cheap if you just got like the old fashioned cloth diapers and diaper covers like from this site....
Discount Cloth Diapers | Wholesale Fitted and Old Fashioned Cloth Diapers

and here is something that tells about how many you would need...
Diaper Safari - How many Cloth Diapers do I need and which Diapers and Diaper Covers go together.

Maybe you could just buy what she needs for now instead of everything all at once.

July 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
If you want to buy cheap CDs, you can buy seconds, which means there was some off stitching or something wrong with the structure of diaper, but not the integrity of the diaper. And prefolds are fairly cheap too. I bought 3 dozen prefolds, 3 diaper covers and 1 snappi for $110 with shipping. So that's not too bad. Just don't use Kushies, they fall apart very quickly. If you want to use pins with prefolds, you can buy them when you buy the prefolds. I just bought mine at walmart (gerber kind). I have to head out the door, but if I think of anything else, I'll PM you. I will say, though, I used sposies with Edward and there were times when he would be running low on dipes and we would have to scrape change just to buy diapers. With cloth diapers, you don't have to do that and it's a nice feeling. Hopefully Jess will pop on and give you some info. I filled her PM box a lot when I was preggo with Preston and wanted info on cloth diapers. She is a cloth diaper goddess!!!
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
July 31st, 2009, 03:04 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
If you can commit to doing just prefold diapers and covers, i believe you can get a stash of one size for about 200 bucks.. sometimes less.

July 31st, 2009, 06:33 PM

I think we will have to stick with disposable's for now, but I was thinking maybe going old school and doing the white cloths with the plastic covers from Walmart (or maybe doing that site Michelle posted thats not too badly priced )

Thanks for your help ladies

Edit:

If I do something like this Cloth Pinless Diapers - $2.99 : Baby Best Buy! do i need anything else or is this the whole diaper?

July 31st, 2009, 07:41 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think those ones you linked to would still need a cover.

Prefolds and covers are going to be your cheapest option. The brand of prefolds I used is Green Mountain but Little Lions are popular too and they are cheaper. Chinese Indian Prefolds cloth diapers They are on sale right now, I dunno about the sizing but it looks like you could get a dozen for $20 or less. Then you would need some covers as well, I would scope out and buy some used ones on the Cloth Diaper board or on Diaperswappers.com. Thirsties are very popular. Again, I'm not sure what size you would need.

Also check out this site Miracle Diapers, Inc. Reservations It provides cloth diapers to help you get started if cost is holding you back. It looks like they aren't accepting applications till Aug. 15 but I would for sure apply once you could! I think they've helped a lot of JMers get started on cloth diapering.

August 1st, 2009, 05:29 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Little Lions, the website Shannon posted above, has starter packages startig at 75 dollars.

August 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
I think we are going to go with the Little Lions "second" things (I don't care about stitching being off) I get a dozen for $11 and then I'm looking at ebay and diaper swappers for covers for cheap. I've found a few but I'm not sure if Kieran would be a Medium or a Small still (shes still way little for almost 4mo)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search