baby wraps/slings

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I was pretty sure what kind of wrap I wanted but after searching the internet last night it became foggy.

They all seem to offer something nice. I would ideally like something that is supportive from newborn through toddler years. Also something that is easy to put on yourself (while out and about getting in and out the car and such) and adjust front to back if needed.

The top ones I was looking at was the Moby, Mei Tei, and Ergo (can you carry a newborn in an Ergo?). But last night I came accross the Beco Butterfly which looks similar to a Mei Tei but easier to put on/adjust. But I've never heard it talked about on here. Anyone ever use/hear of them?

http://www.becobabycarrier.com/

Any feedback on your own prefrences and experiences would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by bittersweet; August 3rd, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
August 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
*Fiona*
I have the Hug-a-Bub sling. I love it, very supportive. I used it for Kirsty from newborn & still use it. It should see her through for a good while to come and can go on front (baby facing towards mum or away) and on my back.
August 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
The Moby takes the most effort to put on. You still have to tie a meitai. Maybe one of the buckle ones would be faster to get on/off. I don't have an ergo, but I've heard great things. Maybe someone else could chime in. I have a hotsling, ringsling, moby, and babyhawk meitai, and love them all.

Come visit my blog!
August 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I don't have kids, but do a ton of babysitting and nannying and love ring slings and moby's the most.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

August 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
midnight_starr's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea but just wanted to say I love your new siggy
Baby #2 due January 2014!

August 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_starr View Post

Thanks! Sara (misfitinmn) made it for me.

August 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_starr View Post

Thanks! Sara (misfitinmn) made it for me.

August 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Erin, I'm right there with you. I had no idea the vast array of different carriers! Once you start looking around the internet, it can quickly become confusing.

I've registered for a Moby wrap (they are available through BRU online only). But in terms of just buying one for ourselves, I was also looking at a Babyhawk Mei Tai, Ergo and the Beco one you asked about. I'm torn. Since DH will be using it as well, I was going to run them by him and see what he thinks.

August 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no personal experience (yet), but I am getting a Moby wrap. I think it'll work best for me and I heard once you get used to putting them on that they don't take that long at all. I have a friend w/ a basic carrier w/ all those buckles and it takes her FOREVER to get them all buckled... Then again, her kid undoes all of them in between uses!

My DH doesn't plan on really using the carrier, so I didn't factor him into my decision. I highly doubt he'd ever agree to a Moby (too girly), but you could always get a his and hers carrier if that's an issue.
August 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 2- an ergo and a moby. Love them both. My moby is great around the house- cuz putting it on when out and about is hard cuz it touches the ground. I love my ergo when I'm out and shopping or walking around. I wore my ergo when I met the gals in Chicago. I have a ring sling and hate it. It keeps the baby away from me where the moby and ergo keep my baby close to my skin. A d the ring sling hurts my back after a while where my moby and ergo never hurt. My 4 month old. Is almost 16 lbs now and I wear her for hrs!!! I have pics but can't post right now as Alexa is starting to fuss for her pm nap. There is my ergo in the chicAgo post. Good luck.
August 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I searched around and ended up getting 2- the Moby and the Baby Bjorn. Like Lauren. my DH isn't too interested in using a carrier so I just chose for myself. I haven't opened the Moby yet, but it I would imagine (personally) if I don't learn how to put it on before baby comes I probably won't use it. Needless to say, it's one of my homework projects.

I got the Baby Bjorn over the Ergo because the latter is just so expensive, and I actually really liked the style and ease of the bb. I will only be using it for around the house and short shopping trips. I have lower back spondylitis, so for long trips I will be using a stroller. Got the bb used on craigs list for a great dal.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
August 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love my HotSling. I have never worn anything else so I have no comments on the others but I have used mine a ton - and it's great in the summer as well as winter. My twin sister still uses hers for her 10 month old. Here is a picture of Jack when he was about 2 weeks old and one about a week ago (about 8 weeks)

August 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
n/a
I have an ergo, baby bjorn and a moby that I just started using with Jack.

The baby bjorn hurts my back (and I have a great back) so I am selling it.

The moby takes some practice and is a F-load of material, but is very versatile. Jack is snoozing in it on me right now. One thing you can do when going out is put it on before you leave. Then when you arrive at our destination just pop in the baby! I have yet to try nursing in it though.

The ergo is nice but I have yet to wear it out of the house yet. Around the house though it is very comfy.

On of the things I have noticed is that if it holds your baby in a vertical position (as opposed to the hotsling) is that it really needs to have a band that will support the baby's weight that goes across your hips. This will take the baby's weight and put it on your hips instead of your back. That's why I don't like the bjorn. Esp. since Jack is a wiggler, the bjorn lets him push pretty far off of me But lots of women do like it so you never know.

And make sure if you get a becco butterfly you get a new one. Last year they recalled a bunch
Beco Baby Carrier Recalls "Beco Butterfly" Infant Carriers
August 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
n/a
Oh and I am ordering a babyhawk mei tei so I am glad you like it Nikki
August 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
Here is what I have and what I think of them:

Moby
Love the Moby, it's super-comfortable and once you've got the hang of it, it's a breeze to put on. Also, there isn't anything to break or give out, which is nice for piece of mind. It is absolutely wonderful for newborns. The fabric is pretty heavy and gets way too hot in the summer so I only use it during the cooler months. When Lily was 13 months old, I hiked a mountain with her in it and had zero issues.

Wrap N Wear
Same as the Moby, just lighter fabric so I use it for the summer months.

Babyhawk Mei Tei
Fantastic carrier, I love it. Easy breezy to put on and like the Moby and Wrap N Wear, is perfect for snuggling newborns. Only thing I consider a negative is that it's uncomfy if you want to sit while wearing it because there is a knot at your lower back.

Beco Butterfly 2
I don't actually own one, I've just used a friend's. If I weren't a cheapskate and didn't have plenty of other wraps/carriers, I would buy one. It's easy, it's comfortable, it's beautiful.

Hotsling/Maya Wrap sling
I have hated every single sling I've ever tried but I do know plenty of people who love them. I never felt like Lily was secure enough and the amount of effort required to put the thing on and get her in it made me never want to use it. Just personal preference, I guess.

Snugli
Hated it. Most uncomfortable carrier EVER and the snaps were made of cheap plastic and I could see after three uses where they already had stress marks on them.

Hope that helps!

August 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Ugh, Kate I wished you lived closer so I could try on all your wraps

August 6th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I have used the beco carrier. It is very similar to the Ergo. It has the same concept where the baby faces in and is supported by their bottom and where you carry their weight on your waist and shoulders.. which is waaay better than all the other carriers in my opinion. The beco is different than the Ergo because 1) it comes with the removable infant insert 2) it is more narrow than the Ergo- it's better for smaller and skinnier babies and 3) it comes in cute prints which may or may not be a good thing for you guys (hubby might not be as willing to wear it).

My daughter preferred the Ergo so that's the one I kept (I sold the beco on ebay). My daughter was a bigger baby and my husband liked the Ergo better because it wasn't so feminine. Also it is more unisex. But you could always get a unisex print on the Beco, though.

I've also tried the babyhawk, baby bjorn, moby, and hotsling! PM me if you'd like any more advice!

August 6th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweet View Post
Ugh, Kate I wished you lived closer so I could try on all your wraps
There might be someone local that sells different baby carriers. I know there is a lady in my area that will come to your home and let you try them out. Maybe you can do some searching in your local area.
August 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love my wrap n wear (moby style for warmer weather), I have a ring sling (from jenn) not sure the brand though that works great for newborns!, and Troy got an ergo carrier from some co-workers that he loves and he hasn't let me try out yet! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search