Would you..

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Would you allow your mother to drive around with your baby? How about take your baby swimming in the neighborhood pool?

Damon and I don't want anyone including my mother doing this. We just don't feel it's worth the worry and risk. I want to see if I'm the only one who feels this way.
August 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
~*Bethy*~'s Avatar Ian, Morgan and Isabella!
yes and yes - Whats your reasoning's behind them? Im just curious

HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR PRENATAL??
We are TEAM BLUE
August 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
szczepanski's Avatar nakmaster
I would let my MIL take our baby places without us. I trust her completely. I mean, if she babysits for us or watches the baby overnight, is she just supposed to sit in the house the entire time? If she wants to take the baby to the zoo or to the park I don't want baby to miss out on that stimulation and experience because we aren't the ones driving.

The pool thing wouldn't really be an issue since pools aren't that common up here, but I also know the baby wouldn't leave her sight. My MIL is a NICU nurse, so I know she is going to be more overprotective than I am because she has seen the worst.

Last edited by szczepanski; August 4th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
August 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Bethy*~ View Post
yes and yes - Whats your reasoning's behind them? Im just curious
Are main reason is that we are over protective. My MIL & SIL say no way to both. They don't see any reason for her to do either. My MIL has watched my niece & nephew and has never taken them out of their home. They are 3.5 & 7 yrs old.
August 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes to both questions. I am probably on the opposite side of over protective...however, I am not ready to leave Jack with just anyone...

August 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
yes to both. I would trust my mother completely.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

August 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No & and BIG NO!

My mom is a bad driver doesnt pay attention, and like you said you are... I will be way protective of my child, thats what your there for! And swimming...no way! If I wasnt there id be way too worried about my baby being in a pool without me there. Jason and I have talked numerous times about babies and when we have one how we will be so overprotective! Jason says all the time how he'll never let his parents babysit!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

Last edited by ♥Ashley♥; August 4th, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
August 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my mom or my MIL (or dad/FIL) I'd be okay with it once the baby was at least 6 months old. Before that it's more about germ exposure than being in the car (though I highly doubt anyone besides Jer or I will be in the car with the baby before 6 months anyway). After that I'd be okay with them taking the baby someplace if they were watching him/her for the weekend or something. However, if anyone was a bad driver I would forbid it. If I had a mom that constantly got in accidents or spaced out in the car there is no way I'd allow it.

All that said, my family lives 3-4 hours away, so really there is no reason this child will need to be in their car without me for at least the first year. After I'm done breastfeeding we may let the grandparents have an overnight visit alone and I wouldn't mind them driving them someplace, so long as they are properly restrained.
August 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I trust my mother, partly because she is a nurse, and partly because I know that she would not do anything with/to my baby that I wouldn't want. She's a good driver, attentive, and would not leave a baby alone or become distracted if she was the one in charge.

I would trust my MIL to a certain extent, except that I would just need to be absolutely certain that she is doing things the way I would do them. (i.e. using flotation devices in the pool and not just "holding him above the water"). I would make sure to provide her with all of the equipment, safety measures and "rules" that she would need for her care to be up to my standards. THEN I would trust her LOL.

Any other people - including my dad - NO.

August 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I dont like my mom driving them in her car because its unsafe but in anyother car yes, she raised 3 of us unharmed so I think she can drive the kids. If we were in Texas and around MIL no I wouldn't allow her to drive the kids, nor be left alone with them, she has very severe bipolar and an addiction on top of that, shes also wrecked 2 cars.

I would 100% trust my mom at a pool with the kids, she's taken Seamus a few times to the lake and at Silverwood last weekend. She was varsity swim team all 4yrs of high school(till she dropped out cause she was pregnant with me) and she was a swim instructor and life gaurd, those are the only reasons I trust her, but I would also trust my Stepmom and dad too they taught me to swim when I almost drowned in a hot tub. But again wouldn't trust my MIL.

August 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
HopeWishWait's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom is a good driver so part of me wants to say yes, but the other part of me is that nagging question "what if this is the one time something goes wrong?" and I just don't know if I could bring myself to do it. If I were WITH them at the pool, sure I'd let her hold him and swim around, no problem. But again, not alone. I understand where you are coming from Resi, every mom feels like that at some point I'd imagine. What it comes down to is that if you and Damon aren't comfortable doing it, don't. He's your son, you make the decisions regardless of opinions or guilt trips.

August 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh and to add - Resi, judging from a couple previous posts that mentioned your mom, I think you have every right to question whether she is ultimately the best person to be caring for Oliver. She hasn't done anything physically reckless or dangerous, but she hasn't been careful with her words, or with the emotional atmosphere she places him in. Some of the things she has said to you lead me to believe that she would go against your wishes in certain situations because she thinks she knows better. And that would not be right.

August 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would let my mom drive and pool time.
His mom & dad-no because I don't trust them to even watch London on her own because she wouldn't fool my "rules".

I guess in my mind if I trust them enough to watch London then I would trust them to do things with him.
August 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom doesn't have a license but my MIL does and she drives with Amara. I guess it depends on the situation, whether you feel as though the driver is a good enough/relatively safe driver and the driver's history.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
August 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
My MIL and FIL have both driven with Mia in the car and i am totaly fine with it.

I dont think i would be so happy to let them take her to the local pool.

August 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Nami's Avatar ♥ Mommy of three ♥
No to both. I don't trust my mom at all. Luckily my mom lives VERY far away.

August 4th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Angelaosaurus-rex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom yes, but not Chris' mom lol. I understand the way you feel though.

Thanks so much to Helen for my beautiful siggy

August 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Yes and Yes. I trust my parents though, they are stable. I remember your post and I could understand why you are hesitant.

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
August 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
IamMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes to both...I am not overprotective. However, my mom has not driven Harrison around since a lady in their neighborhood got into a car wreck right outside of their neighborhood with her two grandkids in the car - one grandchild died in the accident...so now my mom is too scared to drive my kids around. But I trust both of my parents completely to do just about anything with my kids.

"Children too are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb, a reward."
Psalm 127:3

August 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
NO NO NO....... Just like Kyle said judging from your other post's I wouldn't But for my mom i I would say no as well. My reason is my mom is a lot older ( 75 but she act's like she's 45, In a good way ) and cant do a lot of stuff younger mom's could. For one she can't put her in or take her out of the car seat. She has problems pushing the button hard enough. She can't chase after her fast enough and I dont know about swimming..But my mom hates the water so that wouldn't be a problem.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search