Strangers trying to touch my baby!!! And...

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So everywhere I go with Alexa, while I'm wearing her.... strangers try to touch her hands. I just got back from going to CVS and a strange lady tried to touch Alexa's hand that was slimey from being in her mouth! WHY!!!! Ive never tried to touch a strangers baby!!!

AND... why whenever I meet someone when I'm holding Alexa, be it my parents new neighbor, or a new family member, or a friend of a friend or whoever... do they ask as a first question... "Does she sleep through the night?" Even before "how are you, how old is she..." I think its weird!!! So sometimes I just say yes she does sleep through the night if I don't feel like explaining... but sometimes I feel like I have to say... "no she doesn't, she nurses and I feed her when she is hungry sometimes over night that is 2-4 times... and I co-sleep with her so I can just latch her on and fall back asleep..."

Ok just all seems weird to me... vent over Thanks for listening... I know I haven't posted in a while... so busy with Alexa and my DH losing his awesome job, so now we are looking to move because there are NOOOO jobs in Michigan. Probably moving to North Carolina... he has a 3rd phone interview next week!!! So say a prayer for my Greg to land the job!!! Thanks girls!!! Heres a couple pics of my girl too... I'll try to post more too

and with Daddy... almost sleeping

August 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
She's so adorable!

I know it seems like babies are just out for the public to man handle. I hate it. I don't get why that is. So annoying!

Don't feel bad to say something, move her away or swat them away.. honestly. They have no right to just touch her, especially her hands when she is always chewing on them! Yuck!

August 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's so cute! But I still wouldn't come up and touch her without permission.

The only ppl who have tried to touch Matthew are other people's toddlers. And that is really weird about them asking if she sleeps through the night, I haven't gotten that from strangers. Hmm.

I didn't realize your Dh lost his job. I hope he gets something really soon! I bet North Carolina is really pretty.

August 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM
szczepanski's Avatar nakmaster
Anna do you know what part of NC? I grew up in Raleigh and lived there for 23 years before moving here to Rochester! I hope he gets the job!!

I can't believe how big she is getting! She is such a cutie!

August 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I used to get that ALL the time and still do. They always want to touch her. She's not even an Infant anymore and I still think " Dont touch my baby!" People dont get it? I wouldn't randomly touch someone else child!
August 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's adorable!!

I used to stop people from holding Amara's hands once I see them approaching with that intent. I use to say, please don't touch her hands because she puts them in her mouth. Of course, you don't always catch everyone before they do and I use to take out my wipes and wipe her hands off.

I still get sked if Amara sleeps through the night. I don't know why it's so important for people to ask that.

Sorry about your DH's job.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
August 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
HopeWishWait's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe how big she is!!! Gosh, it seems like she was just born yesterday. I know exactly what you mean. Whenever we go to the commissary, old people are ALWAYS trying to touch Conner. I'm like I'm sorry but who do you think you are that you can just come up and touch all over my child? It was one of my biggest pet peeves ever. If you move to North Carolina we should totally meet up sometime!! South Carolina coincidentally is not far away

August 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Vent away, I would if strangers were pawing all over my child!

I'm so sorry about your DH's job - I hadn't realized he lost it... Good luck to him with the phone interview!!
August 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm guilty of asking people if their baby is sleeping through the night but only after talking for awhile. The reason I ask is because everyone always says yes! It makes me feel like Oliver is the only one that nurses or gets hungry at night time. He is almost one and still comfort nursing & eating a couple times per night.

Alexa is looking so cute and bigger than when I saw her!

I wish Greg a lot of luck getting that job!!!
August 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Alexa looks soooooooo precious!!

Ok I have a theory about all this baby touching stuff. I'm taking a course on primate behaviour right now and I subscribe to the belief that humans are evolutionarily connected to primates. Primate societies sometimes practice 'allomothering', which is when other members of the group take care of the babies within the group. So maybe its just some wierd remnant behavioural instinct that compels people to touch every baby they see! Just a thought I still wouldnt want random's touching my baby either though!!
August 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She is SO cute!! And she makes the most adorable faces.

I didn't know your DH lost his job either. Best of luck on the interview, I hope he lands it!

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
August 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM
midnight_starr's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow she is getting so big!!! She is just beautiful!
Sorry to hear about Gregs job.. I hope he finds something quick!
Baby #2 due January 2014!

August 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
aBookasmommy
They try and touch her while you wear her?! That is how I planned to go out with her for the first month or so..cuz I thought it would cut down the amount of people trying to touch her..oh no that wont work for me!! What do you do when they reach for her?!

She is such a cutie pie though I cant get over how bigg she has gotten!!

And I really hope your DH gets the job!! When will you know?
August 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaystomorrow View Post
They try and touch her while you wear her?! That is how I planned to go out with her for the first month or so..cuz I thought it would cut down the amount of people trying to touch her..oh no that wont work for me!! What do you do when they reach for her?!

She is such a cutie pie though I cant get over how bigg she has gotten!!

And I really hope your DH gets the job!! When will you know?
Well most of the time she is wrapped up in my ergo... and people still reach out to touch her... normally what i do is back up like I'm showing them I don't want them touching her... but today this lady came in like 5 times... like seriously stay away! I also will grab Alexas hands and hold them so they don't touch them. It drives me crazy!!! I had this large 16 old boy today at CVS trying to give her a high five, then tried to touch her... I backed away... weirdos I'm telling you.

Resi- I'm with you on asking others, after a while about how long baby sleeps... but we nurse... and babies who are FF do sleep through night, usually early in life. Cuz formula isn't digested as quickly as breastmilk and a baby can sleep more soundly. I'm fine with my LO eating every 2-3 hrs every night on BM. But I've never EVER asked that question the first moment I meet someone. Weird~ IMO... sorry if this is not someones opinion.

Note to strangers, and people I don't know!!! DON"t TOUCH MY BABY"S hands~~ HER FEET ARE FINE>>>> NOT HER HANDS!!! AND DON'T ASK ME IF SHE SLEEPS ALL NIGHT... I DON'T ASK YOU ABOUT YOUR SLEEP HABITS... HAHA LOL ok vent over... again

and on DHs job... well, he had 2 phone interviews this week, and 1 more early next week... then prob a face to face in a week or so... hopefully after the 23rd cuz that is Alexa's baptism. So then we will head to NC for the interview, and maybe scope out some areas to move to... so I'm thinking we'd know in maybe 2-3 weeks... and then move in about 4-5 weeks... all guesses though. Hope it all works out!!!
August 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
I hope everything works out for your DH! Are you excited to move? Or a little sad?

August 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She's so pretty, Anna. I love her chunky little cheeks!

People can be so weird around a pregnant lady or an infant. I have been asked by people I have never even seen before what the gender of our baby is, what his name is, which is okay but my all time favorite is whether I plan to breastfeed or formula feed! imo, kind of a personal question to randomly ask a stranger.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
August 14th, 2009, 02:47 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
I used to get this all the time with Mia and still do and she is nearly TWO!
I honestly thought once she started tottling she wouldnt get any attention but she still does.

August 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM
aBookasmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by **jessie** View Post
She's so pretty, Anna. I love her chunky little cheeks!

People can be so weird around a pregnant lady or an infant. I have been asked by people I have never even seen before what the gender of our baby is, what his name is, which is okay but my all time favorite is whether I plan to breastfeed or formula feed! imo, kind of a personal question to randomly ask a stranger.
Jessie just wait. I get belly rubs from EVERYONE now!! I hate them, family and friends fine..but somone I dont know. EWW! I would never touch a preggo belly of someone I didnt know. Even my bestfriend when she was pregnant the only time I gave her a belly rub was when she told me to!

Maybe Ill make a sign to put on my moby that says "I bite" Do you think that would stop the touches?!
August 14th, 2009, 04:20 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you're going through hun. Babies and preggo bellies have this draw for people that I will never understand LoL. I personally would never go up to some random person and rub their belly/try to touch their baby and play 21 questions. Alexa is too adorable though

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 14th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaystomorrow View Post

Maybe Ill make a sign to put on my moby that says "I bite" Do you think that would stop the touches?!
LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search