Job Woes

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh came home early today. His company bought another company in Canada awhile back. They have been sort of consolidating and now today they told him if he wants to keep his job, he'll have to move to Canada. (We live in TX.) They are offereing him like $50,000 in relocation costs and bonus.

Problem is, neither of us want to go to Canada AT ALL. Family is so important to us and all our family is within a 4 hour drive right now. Plus, yeek, Canada, I don't know if I could handle that kind of cold. Dh said his boss kept talking up the fly fishing and how pretty it is and I'm like yeah, you gonna go fly fishing in the winter when it's 30 below.

They said if he doesn't move there, they may keep him around for a month or two to help them with the transition and looking at his code, etc (he's an engineer). And I guess after that he'll have to find another job. And I don't even have to say, this is like the worst economy ever for finding a new job.

I wish they had told him this a month ago BEFORE I resigned from my job.

Sigh.

August 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I really hope things work out.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

August 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no I am so sorry Shannon. I cant believe the position they put you guys in! To have to move to Canada or lose his job!!!!? Im so sorry! I hope he can find something new very quickly!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

August 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
KatiInCT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no! Great big hugs. I wish you both a lot of luck with the decision. As I am sure it isn't an easy one. I agree with wanting to stay close to family though. I know the economy is horrible but hopefully he will be able to find something.

I'll be thinking of you and your family!

Osric O'Dell M...... December 10, 2009: 7lbs 14.2 oz, 21 inches
(NEW SIGGY SOON!
)
August 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I'm sorry Shannon. Their timing really sucks! I hope another engineering job just falls in his lap, and takes all this stress away.

Come visit my blog!
August 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
What rubbish timing!!

I am sure what ever you choose to do will be the right choice for your family x

August 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow hun I'm so sorry Praying everything works out for the best ((HUGS))

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That stinks. Are you guys thinking at all about relocating or is it a huge no?
August 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a tough situation. I wish you guys all the best with whichever decision you guys make.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
August 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww, that stinks! What a situation to be in... Good luck deciding what to do!!
August 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
that bites! I know it would suck but is there anyway you can get your job back?
August 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resi View Post
That stinks. Are you guys thinking at all about relocating or is it a huge no?
I guess I'm about 95% sure it's a no. I also went and looked into housing costs and Calgary is a LOT more expensive than here. So any extra salary or bonus they gave Dh would end up going towards that I'm sure.

We'll probably take our chances on him finding something around here, or at least, in Tx. So we could end up having to move anyway and gosh it makes me sad to think about moving from this house and for a dumb reason... Matthew hasn't even slept in his nursery yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Bethy*~ View Post
that bites! I know it would suck but is there anyway you can get your job back?
I seriously doubt it. My boss really wanted me to stay because there is a hiring freeze and he said if I left, they would lose my position.

To top it off, there was a guy who was supposed to give me some work at home business, like said he was sending it and everything and now it's been quite awhile I have not heard anything from him again. Bleh.

We are lucky that we have some savings to pull us through if it takes Dh a bit to find a job. Just sucks because I'd rather be using that money to pay off our mortgage or save for retirement or Matthew's college fund...not just for day to day living expenses.

August 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awww! I hope things work out better than expected. It really sucks a big one, I can totally sympathize. KUP!
August 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
aBookasmommy
Oh Shannon Im so sorry. I cant even imagine how stressful that must be!! Everything always works out for the best, and it always happens for a reason. Thats how I look at life, this could be the best thing to happen to your family you never know. My dad was layed off from his job 2 years ago and not that soon after he got offered a job wayyyyyy better that the one he had had for 30 years!! I hope your DH finds a great job and soon!!! Keep us updated on how everything goes, I got all crossables crossed that itll be soon for him!
August 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is awful, Shannon! I have zero idea where you live in TX or what type of engineer your DH is, but TI here in Dallas is doing well and might be an option. They have had their ups and downs with the economy, but it seems as if their stock is improving, perhaps they have some openings?

Hate that you have to go through this and hope it works out well for you!

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
August 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
that sucks. i hope u can stay in TX with ur fam. crossables crossed that ur dh finds a job asap *hugs*
August 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
midnight_starr's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no hon.. I am so sorry. I hope you guys don't have to move and your DH can find another job around the area!
Baby #2 due January 2014!

August 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
A*LOT*OF*HOPE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That really sucks that that your DH may loose his job!!

Honestly though, I moved away from my whole family to be with DH in a different country. It is really hard at times, trust me, but it is so worth it most of the time. I miss my family like crazy, but we make it work with lots of phone calls and frequent visits there, and there frequent visits here, and it works.

Calgary is really nice, you actually may like it. It's is really nice at warm in the summer. You re right though, the winters suck, it will take you awhile to get used to. I know it is a scary thought, but don't rule it out just yet!!!

Good luck, it is the hardest decision, and I don't envy you at all.

If you have an questions just ask!!
August 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, that is quite a bit to unload on a person all at once! I'm sorry things aren't looking up for his job. But, it sounds like you have some time on your hands for him to find a new job, so that's always good. And prospects here aren't as bad in most other parts of the country... plus if he's an engineer, depending on what kind he is, prospects might be just fine with him. What kind of engineer is he?

I hate to do the "that sucks but look on the bright side" thing, but I really do think you have a bright side to consider.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
August 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Dh and I talked some more about it and I think if this company was more reputable then Calgary *might* be an option. But they are just so unreliable and don't have a good reputation for treating employees well. I can just see us moving to Canada and then laying him off anyway.

We'll have to see if they actually do keep everyone on for another couple months...it isn't very like them to do so. But if they do, that will really help of course. Dh is already looking for something else.

Oh and today I got some samples in the mail to start doing my work at home stuff!!! That's awesome so maybe that will work out and it will be a little extra money for us!

[quote=lupti;16981864]That is awful, Shannon! I have zero idea where you live in TX or what type of engineer your DH is, but TI here in Dallas is doing well and might be an option. They have had their ups and downs with the economy, but it seems as if their stock is improving, perhaps they have some openings?

[quote]

Dh interned with them two summers, once in Dallas and once in Houston. He's going to see if they have any openings.

Last edited by ShannonMVT; August 17th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search