Using Family Names

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2009, 11:37 AM
KatiInCT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I have been discussing names and are pretty much set on first names and are pretty much set on a middle name for a girl but we are still tossing around middle names for a boy. Granted even the names that are "pretty much set" may change but anyways... that's not why I am posting.

I am posting because we both would like to have some sort of family connection with the middle names. The middle name for a girl, "Lee", is the middle name of DH's dad, DH's two sisters, and DH's sister's daughter (all females on that side of the family since DH's dad). The middle name for a boy would be after my side of the family and I am sort of set in my mind with having an H middle name because the initials would make the engineer in me smile (OHM). So I have been digging through my family history (I've done quite a bit) and am just not loving the H names that are in close relation. I really like "Henry" which shows up when you go 11 generations back and a lot more 13+ generations back. Other than his name I know nothing about this or any other Henry though.

I guess my question is... For you, if you were to use a 'family name' would you want it to have a deeper connection other than just showing up in your family tree?

DH isn't too keen on any of the H names because of the end sound of the first name so it might be a mute point. If we don't go with an H name it opens up more family names that do have a connection. So... For you, which is more important, fun initials or a family name?

Osric O'Dell M...... December 10, 2009: 7lbs 14.2 oz, 21 inches
(NEW SIGGY SOON!
)
September 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
For us we love that both our boys are named after Daddy and Grandpa. I like that it's close family and these members obviously mean alot to us. I think you could most likely find alot of different names if you look far enough in to your history.

But with that said.. go with the name you like, for whatever reason

September 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We considered using a family name, but the only one we really considered seriously was Robert (my father's name). I don't think I would name the baby after someone distant in my family tree, just for the sake of having a 'family name'. I mean the dude could have been a real @sshole if you know what I mean, lol. If you like the name Henry, I would use it... just for the reason you like it.

We didn't consider initials as part of our criteria. Actually I just thought of it for the first time now. JRH... at least it doesn't spell something funny! We just chose based on what we like and what flowed best with his surname.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
September 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well for me, I didnt get the family middle name, and I tried using it with my daughter to remember my grandma by (LaVon Elizabeth) And my sister threw a cow because I was apparently stealing HER family name. So I went with my next favorit, Alexis - no meaning, just cute. My hubby has his dad's middle name, Paul, and I HATE that name - I have no clue why, just rubs me the wrong way. Ian got his middle name from mystep dad whom basically raised me mentally (hes the one who survived the massive heart attack in february) so we named my son Ian Michael. Now with our 3rd baby (if there is one, again, wishy woshy on TTC) if its a boy, the middle name will probably be Christopher. I had a brother waaay before me that died a few hours after birth due to birth defects (perfectly normal pregnancy, no smoking or drinking but he just had something reaaaaaally wrong wtih him, I have a sister whom died a few hours after birth as well, Sarah, between my sister and I's births.) SOO long story short next baby will have Sarah if its a girl and Christopher if its a boy.

But its funny you mentioned funny initials because Morgan's initials are the exact same and hubby's brother, Matthew Alan (MAW) and Morgan is Morgan Alexis (MAW) - DID NOT PLAN THIS!! Ian's are IAM so we joke around that "I.AM" its a stupid joke my BIL *sisters husband* made up. Mine are funny as well, mine not married were BJW. So guess what mine became after I got married? guessed it yet? yup - BJW. I cant win man, Im tellin ya!

~Beth
September 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oliver's middle name is WILHELM. It's my grandfather's name. It's the german spelling of William. It was important to use my grandfather's name because he has been like a father to me. However, I would use a family name from generations back if I liked it. I love old names. Oliver's initials are OWK.
September 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ok going to add something I forgot - my 2 great grandma's are Pearle (e is silent at the end) and Emma, my cousin named her daughter Emma Pearle - which I think is a GORGEOUS name! 2 great ladies, and an awesome way to remember them whenever we say Emma's name
September 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
HopeWishWait's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, if those are the only two options of importance, I PERSONALLY would go with family. Because when will he ever use his initials really? Hardly ever, but he can always say "I was named for my Grandfather because.." or whatever you know.

Like Conner, his middle name is after my best friend/basically brother Tom..so Thomas...but I also just really liked the name. So..if you can find one you like and has some sort of family, go for it I say.

September 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
JustBreathe
Family names are really important to me, and Mike either agrees or hasn't complained. Obviously with our last name, naming a son Andrew Scott wouldn't work out too well!
September 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
szczepanski's Avatar nakmaster
Family names are really important to me. The name Anne has been given to the first born girl for as far back as I can get the family tree in some variation. My middle name is Anne, my grandma's is Jo-Anne, great-grandma was Anne, great-great grandma was Anne (pronounced Ann-e) and on and on and on. Our girls name is named after DH's Granny, my Grandpa and continues on the tradition of using Anne. It is Nora Lee (grandpa's middle name) Anne.

Our boys middle name is David, which is DH's middle name and was DH's Father's name (he passed away when DH was young). No idea what the first name is yet....when I told MIL that David was definitely the middle name, she cried. I like names having stories to them, but our first name for a boy might just have to start a new tradition because we don't have any idea what to name a boy.

As far as initials....our last name is my username, so it is hard enough to come up with a first name that isn't just completely swallowed by the last name as it is. If we had to worry about initials too I would just name our child Baby Girl and Baby Boy out of frustration. My initials are HAM, and when I got married it became HAMS, hehe.

September 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A close connection to a family name is/was more important to me. I want all our children's middle or first names to be a family name that means some special to us.

Matthew's middle name is Azizi. My FIL is from Iran and that is his last name/family name from there. However it's not his last name here in the States; he has it as a middle name. It's my Dh's middle name as well. So even though it's kind of a strange name, I wanted to use it because it carries on that family name and my little blondie can know he's 1/4 Iranian.

If we have another boy, his middle name will probably be John. That is my father's first name, brother's first name, and FIL's first name.

If we have a girl, I am not sure. My mom's name is Carolyn and MIL's name is Linda so I have thought about Caroline as a first name (love it) or maybe Lynn as a middle name. Those sort of combine the two names.

My angel baby's middle name is Shaw, which is my deceased grandfather's last name.

Oh and Matthew's initials are MAE. Initials aren't AS big of a deal to me, as long as they don't spell out something naughty.

September 9th, 2009, 01:11 PM
JustBreathe
Oh, and we know I'm fighting like hell for my first son's name to be Luke. I want that more than anything. I'll settle for Lucas, but I want to carry my family name on!!

In both of our families, the 1st son has the father's middle name for at least 4 generations back.

Heather, my middle name is DUH-- Anne. But it's like Ann, with an E.. Makes it classier lol. Does your family pronounce it diff?
September 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
*Mrs.J.2011*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Other than making sure it didnt spell something crazy out, we didnt even consider the initials for our future kiddos (we have 4 names picked out) all of the middle names we have chosen have a family connection, either to his side or mine.

Good luck!

Missing our little "Duckie" since 06-22-09
September 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAnne View Post
Oh, and we know I'm fighting like hell for my first son's name to be Luke. I want that more than anything. I'll settle for Lucas, but I want to carry my family name on!!

In both of our families, the 1st son has the father's middle name for at least 4 generations back.

Heather, my middle name is DUH-- Anne. But it's like Ann, with an E.. Makes it classier lol. Does your family pronounce it diff?
Nope, just that one person born in 1875 pronounced it Ann-e rather than just Anne! We had an Anna too, I guess they were trying to be a little more creative. I can't figure out how I want to put Lee Anne, as 2 separate names, Lee-Anne, LeeAnne, etc. I do love the nickname Nora Lee...it sounds so cute and girlie!!!

September 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
The more I think about it the more I want a family name (with meaning) for a middle name if we have a boy. I am even willing to give up the H. Last summer I went with my mom on a trip to upstate NY to visit the gravesites of my maternal grandmothers family. I started doing my own family history because of an envelope full of research that my Nana did. She passed away when I was 5 and I wish I had the opportunity today to talk to her and let her know how much I appreciate all of the hand written notes she kept of her relatives.

This is Wilson Hiram O'Dell, he is my maternal grandmother's father.

This is Wilson's father, Hiram Talbot O'Dell, and mother, Clara Jane "Jennie" Abbott. (my grandmother's grandparents)

This is Hiram's father, John O'Dell, and mother, Sarah A. Talbot. (my grandmother's great-grandparents)

This is Jennie's father, Nathaniel Abbott, and mother, Sarah Ann McKee. (my grandmother's great-grandparents)

We found more further back generations as we wandered the town's gravesites but I will save you the torment of photos.

These are the people I want to remember. The people that my grandmother loved and cherished. No relation to Henry.

I think DH and I need to discuss further. Thanks for letting me introduce you to my family.

(NEW SIGGY SOON!
)
September 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
ANGWife
Well first of all, Henry is a kick a** name

It's very important for Ed and I to have some type of family connection in all our children's names (either first or middle). No one in my family is named Henry. But my grandmother (who passed while I was pregnant), her name was Harriet. So we chose the masculine form. Edward is a HUGE name in Ed's family side. But I don't like calling Ed and 5 people look at me (including our son). So we gave him Edison (Ed's son) as his middle name to honor the Edward. We get alot of laughs with that one.

ANYWAYS, what I wanted to say was I think it's cool to take a family name and use another version of it.
September 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
What is wrong with using Hiram instead of Henry? You get a family name and an H all in one.

September 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szczepanski View Post
What is wrong with using Hiram instead of Henry? You get a family name and an H all in one.
I have a few reasons I am avoiding using Hiram:

1. As an inactive LDS church member (aka Mormon), the name Hiram (and Hyrum) has church history significance which my mind instantly associates. Interestingly this side of the family has no LDS relations. I have no desire to have a church historical name as part of my child's name.

2. The meaning of the first name we have chosen, Osric, is "sacred ruler" (although definitely not chosen for the meaning). The meaning of Hiram is "my brother's exalted". To me it's just too much.

3. Osric (the first name) is on the unique side and I want any future child who doesn't like their parent's crazy naming style to be able to go by the middle name if they so choose. But Hiram is also a unique name. At least they would still have a choice I suppose.

(NEW SIGGY SOON!
)

Last edited by KatiInCT; September 9th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
September 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I had no idea the history of Hiram, wow. I've only heard the name once before you mentioned it...it was the name of an old client and he was such a nice guy I guess it left me with a positive image of the name. I've always just thought of it as an old Southern name because he ran a cotton gin.

Here I was just thinking I was solving all of your problems in one swoop, hehe.

September 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *vi
Family names are very important in my decision.

David will be my first son's middle name, no questions about that. David was my mom's youngest brother who died a little over a year ago, and he was 44. I want to use David as my son's middle name to remember my uncle. DF agrees because he knows how much it means to me. Our first son's name will most likely be Henry David.

Some other names I like that are family related:

- Rosalie - I like this because 1. My mom's name is RoseMary so it is similar and 2. It was my mom's aunt's name. I think it's pretty.

- Garrett - Not a family name but my dad's name is Garry and it is a name that goes nicely with Jackson, which I LOVE so I think it would go well together.

- Mae - My dad's mom's name is May but I think Mae would make a nice middle name, possibly paired with Elizabeth, which DF likes as a first name. and which also happens to be my mom's mom's middle name.

The only name combination I like that spells out anything with initials is Alexis Rosalie (ARC) but I'm trying to convince DF that Rosalie Grace would be and even better choice. lol
September 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
It is very important for me and DH to use family names.

My son is named after my cousin who died in 2005. Johnathan Jarrett is the long version for John Jarrett.

If we had a daughter, she would have had the middle name Elaine which is DH's moms name. She died in 1998.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)

Tags
names

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search