Nursing Mommy's

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long do you plan on nursing your LO?

If you plan on CLW (child lead weaning) is there an age that you feel it's time to encourage your LO to wean?

Anyone open/planning/interested in tandem nursing?

I'm going to let Oliver decide when he is ready to give up nursing. I have a feeling he is going to nurse for a long time to come. I'm in no hurry to give it up because I know I'm going to be very sad when he self weans. I do wonder if there is an age that I will feel he is getting to old for it. At this time I'm hoping he self weans by 4 years old if not younger. I think after 4 I might start feeling he is too old for it. It's hard to know for sure how I will feel since it's all new to me.

I have been reading about tandem nursing and I think it's a special thing but I'm not sure if it's something I would want to do. I think I would prefer for Oliver to self wean before getting pregnant again if we decide on another child. I have read that sometimes while pregnant the milk goes away which causes the child to wean early. Or the pregnant mom will not enjoy nursing. I would be heartbroken if that happened to Oliver. I also read that some moms don't enjoy nursing their older child after the new baby comes along. I think at this time I should focus on Oliver's needs when it comes to nursing. But if I did happen to get pregnant while he was still nursing I would tandem nurse.
January 11th, 2010, 06:28 PM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, my little guy self-weaned at around 7 months or so. We had a lot of problems, so just getting him to BF even was a huge accomplishment. I'm still pumping, though, and plan to till at least one year.

If he had not self-weaned, I probably still would have weaned him at about a year.

January 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
I'm slowly trying to wean Dustin. 1 year is good enough for me! (But we'll slowly do it)

January 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do child led weaning and both boys self weaned while I was pregnant. Liam self weaned at 13 1/2 months which was 12 weeks into my pregnancy with Loch. Lochy self weaned at 26 months which was almost 19 weeks into this pregnancy. It was a little sad but honestly I was glad when he weaned because it hurt so bad every time he would nurse.

Your milk generally changes during pregnancy and a lot of babies/toddlers will wean when it changes and/or your supply drops--usually this happens around 4-5 months of pregnacy. Though some kids don't mind or care and will continue to nurse right through. I would tandem nurse if the situation came up.

I haven't decided yet if I will allow Lochy to nurse again when Lila is born if he asks. I'm leaning more towards not but I doubt he'd want to again anyway. We'll see.

Obviously I'll do child led weaned with Lila too. I don't know when I would encourage weaning since I haven't had to do that at all yet. I think 4 years might be my cut off but who knows. The last few months Lochy nursed it was only first thing in the morning usually and I could handle one nursing a day for as long as my child needed it I think.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

January 11th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
im not currently BF, but i'd like to bf at least 2 yrs, and do CLW
January 11th, 2010, 06:59 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long do you plan on nursing your LO? I want to go past a year but I am not sure I want to go more than 2 years.

If you plan on CLW (child lead weaning) is there an age that you feel it's time to encourage your LO to wean? It all depends. If my diet wasn't restricted at all, I'd be more inclined to do CLW, but even still I think there would be an age when I wasn't as good with it anymore. I also want to have 2 kids fairly close in age so if the BFing was keeping me from Oing or being able to get pregnant, then I might do things to encourage weaning (again just not sure when).

I wouldn't completely rule it out but I don't really see it happening. I know a woman at LLL meetings who was tandem nursing her almost 3 y.o. and newborn. She said the nice things about it was that her nipples never had to "toughen up" so she never had any pain this time around and also if she got engorged she just had her older child slurp down some milk But she said she was going to wean her daughter once she turned 3 b/c she felt she was old enough. She also said her daughter at one point wanted to know "which was her side" and acted miffed at times that she had to share with the baby whereas the mom would laugh and say that she wasn't sharing with him, that he was sharing with HER.

January 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
n/a
Umm, I think a year is good. Until solids can be his main source of food I guess.

As for tandem nursing - I would need another baby for that, which isn't likely anytime soon, so I have never considered it
January 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im hoping i can BF at least a year.....if I make it to a year then I'll let her self wean.....im not sure how I feel about tandem nursing....I don't really see myself doing it.....
January 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long do you plan on nursing your LO? When ever she wants. Seamus self weened at 12.5mo after fighting him for the last 2weeks of it I knew he was done and I was sad. I think Kieran will nurse longer because she doesn't like any other foods

If you plan on CLW (child lead weaning) is there an age that you feel it's time to encourage your LO to wean? I guess. I didn't start solids till after 6mo when she started crying and grabbing for our food but she wont eat anything unless she does it herself so she's on big people food and its only 4 bites or so then she stops and wants the boob the rest of the day.

If I was ever nursing when I had another I dont see why not but I don't forsee that happening

January 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Angelaosaurus-rex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren in hi View Post
Well, my little guy self-weaned at around 7 months or so. We had a lot of problems, so just getting him to BF even was a huge accomplishment. I'm still pumping, though, and plan to till at least one year.

If he had not self-weaned, I probably still would have weaned him at about a year.

OMG!!! I am so excited to see you!!!!

Thanks so much to Helen for my beautiful siggy

January 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I need to ween him soon. He has been sucking really hard lately and he bites! Plus my doctor told me I really need to. I would not want to tandem nurse. I would be scared that the younger baby would not get enough food.

January 11th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan on nursing for at least a year and yes ill let her wean on her own. I don't think id ever tandem nurse.
January 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelalesina View Post
OMG!!! I am so excited to see you!!!!
aww, thanks! i'm excited to be back here! great to see you too!

January 12th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long do you plan on nursing your LO? We going exclusively until Amara is 1 year old. After that I iwll introduce whole milk but she can still nurse in the mornings and evening if she feels too.

If you plan on CLW (child lead weaning) is there an age that you feel it's time to encourage your LO to wean? I'll begin slowly weaning Amara once she takes to the whole milk well. I'm hoping that she'll be done with breastfeeding by 18 months but it's not a hard and fast rule for me. I'm pretty much going to go with the flow.

Anyone open/planning/interested in tandem nursing? I don't have a problem with it. I'm not planning another little one soon so this won't be open to me.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
January 12th, 2010, 09:14 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm planning to bf for up to 12 months, then consider supplementing with formula or whole milk. I will introduce solids at that time and probably still pump as well so he may be getting a couple of different things after a year. I haven't given any thought to weaning. I guess I'm relying on him self-weaning at some point. We'll see how we both feel about it around the 12 month mark.

January 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was preggo I thought I would only nurse to 12 months then wean ... but now that I nurse... I plan to go to 24 months or longer if we still enjoy it. Its soooo the best thing I've done in my life. I love watching her grow and thrive on my milk alone. And she's done it without any other nutrition whatsoever. Its the awesomest thing ever. I would continue if I got preggo again, and I would tandem too. I think it'd be cool for Alexa to share with her baby bro or sis... but no plans for that now. So we'll see.

And Lauren... miss you

And Angela... sorry about Landen biting... Alexa has done that... she has 3.5 teeth now and sometime bites when latching... I'm getting tough and don't show her reactions to where she thinks its cute to do. And if you tandem, you would nurse baby first then after baby is done you would let older child have whats left. I would never let Alexa nurse then nurse baby. and I think if you do both at same time, you would nurse infant on one side first
January 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The woman I talked to who did tandem said she had a great supply when baby was born b/c of her older child. Now I dunno if it's like that in every case but that would be kinda nice.

Anna, I know what you mean...other than a teensy bit of solids around 6 months, I think wow, I have grown this kid all the way from a single cell up to the 20 pounds or so that he is today! Amazing!

January 12th, 2010, 10:28 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will do CLW.....I would love to make 2 yrs but since we will be TTC about 1 yr I hear its pretty common for the child to wean during that. I would tandem nurse if needed. But London is not a comfort nurser, he is a eater LOL So I don't see him nursing till 2 yrs. We plan to introduce solids (baby led also) at 9 months so we will see what happens then. (BM being the primary food till 12months).
January 13th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soImarriedAnerd View Post
I will do CLW.....I would love to make 2 yrs but since we will be TTC about 1 yr I hear its pretty common for the child to wean during that. I would tandem nurse if needed. But London is not a comfort nurser, he is a eater LOL So I don't see him nursing till 2 yrs. We plan to introduce solids (baby led also) at 9 months so we will see what happens then. (BM being the primary food till 12months).
Oliver wasn't a comfort nurser until he was close to one yrs old.
January 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anna* View Post
When I was preggo I thought I would only nurse to 12 months then wean ... but now that I nurse... I plan to go to 24 months or longer if we still enjoy it. Its soooo the best thing I've done in my life. I love watching her grow and thrive on my milk alone. And she's done it without any other nutrition whatsoever. Its the awesomest thing ever. I would continue if I got preggo again, and I would tandem too. I think it'd be cool for Alexa to share with her baby bro or sis... but no plans for that now. So we'll see.

And Lauren... miss you

And Angela... sorry about Landen biting... Alexa has done that... she has 3.5 teeth now and sometime bites when latching... I'm getting tough and don't show her reactions to where she thinks its cute to do. And if you tandem, you would nurse baby first then after baby is done you would let older child have whats left. I would never let Alexa nurse then nurse baby. and I think if you do both at same time, you would nurse infant on one side first
The biting has gotten so bad lately!! He will bite down and grind his little teeth. I'm sure it will get better I am going to try to stick it out a long as my doctor doesn't find out!!!

I feel like a dumb butt LOL!!! That makes more sense now. When I imagined tandem nursing I thought one on each boob!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search