Essure VS Mirena (and weight loss)

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
~*Bethy*~'s Avatar Ian, Morgan and Isabella!
So here I sit - 36 weeks - I need to start thinking of BC! These are my 2 choices - and Ill list my pro's and cons for both, and let you guys give me feedback - mmkay?

Mirena Pro's:

*Period gets taken away for the duration of the use of it (yay!)

*VERY little spotting, almost non existent except for like 1 or 2 days a month (its always brown blood)

*No need to worry about other forms of BC to "double up"

*pregnancy rate is less than .1%

*I LOVED this thing!!! (yes thats a pro in my eyes because Ive used it before)

Mirena Con's:

*hormones that could be bad for BFing (can you BF on the mirena??)

*mood swings....gotta love them

*Weight stays the same (at least thats what Ive experienced last time, I maybe lost 15lbs?)

*Impossible to loose weight

*Weird little things like always feeling thirsty, would always over indulge on some foods, made me crave soda like mad

~~~~~~~~~

Essure Pro's:

*I DO NOT want any more kids

*NON Hormonal

*BFing Friendly

*Takes only 3 months to fully close the tube's off (we'd have to use condoms until the 12 weeks is up)

*No mood swings

*no food cravings

Essure Con's:

*Id have to deal with AF and lovely cramps every month

*Isnt instant - well have to play it safe and use condoms for more than 3 months just to ease my mind

....yeah thats about it for the con's - but the period every month is a huge deal to me. I HATE m y period, and LOVED being on the mirena, but at the same time I cant loose weight on the mirena the way I need to, and I probably wont be able to breastfeed.....

....Comments? Input?

~Beth
Momma to Ian (8), Morgan (7) and Isabella (4) - Expecting baby #4 in Oct. 2014!

HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR PRENATAL??
We are TEAM BLUE
April 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
szczepanski's Avatar nakmaster
You can BF with mirena - that is what I am planning on getting in 3 weeks.

Not trying to be mean - but saying Mirena causes overindulging in some foods/craving soda sounds more like a willpower thing than a hormonal thing. I mean, I know we all crave chocolate, etc. but to overindulge and then say it was because of the mirena is kind of silly to me. That is more of a willpower thing, ie I will not eat 6 slices of pizza because I want to lose weight.

Last edited by szczepanski; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
April 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Have you considered a non-hormonal IUD like Paraguard?

Mirena just seems like the "it" birthcontrol right now. I'm not to keen on it. They say it's safe for breast feeding, but there are still excess artificial hormones in your body from it.

I have a Nova-T (a Canadian version of Paraguard) and it has been a great option. No worries about getting pregnant and no nasty hormones.

I never quite got why they added hormones to the IUD...it really is not needed.

April 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szczepanski View Post
You can BF with mirena - that is what I am planning on getting in 3 weeks.

Not trying to be mean - but saying Mirena causes overindulging in some foods/craving soda sounds more like a willpower thing than a hormonal thing. I mean, I know we all crave chocolate, etc. but to overindulge and then say it was because of the mirena is kind of silly to me. That is more of a willpower thing, ie I will not eat 6 slices of pizza because I want to lose weight.
And I agree - but I have seen a difference now being off of the mirena (pregnancy included...which opens up a whole new chapter...) That in my case was caused by the mirena. After I had it removed, the feeling thirsty all the time, craving certain foods even the soda cravings went down DRASTICALLY!! I have read up on it and have seen other testimonials that it also caused almost addictions (used lightly...sorta) to certain foods....I was amazed myself So thats why I got thrown into the con list LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
Have you considered a non-hormonal IUD like Paraguard?

Mirena just seems like the "it" birthcontrol right now. I'm not to keen on it. They say it's safe for breast feeding, but there are still excess artificial hormones in your body from it.

I have a Nova-T (a Canadian version of Paraguard) and it has been a great option. No worries about getting pregnant and no nasty hormones.

I never quite got why they added hormones to the IUD...it really is not needed.
I have - but since I have super bad periods, the paraguard wasnt an option due to "risk of increased bleeding and spotting, as well as cramps" from what Ive seen.

To answer your 2nd question, the raised level of progesterone in the mirena is what causes the walls of the uterus to thin out and not bleed. There for making it to where you dont have a period while on it. which is also the reason they prescribe it to some ladies who have previous miscarriages, as it helps the uterus to not discard the pregnancy.

We are TEAM BLUE

Last edited by ~*Bethy*~; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
April 22nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I though with essure, at least i know around here, they won't do it unless you are atleast 35/40. At least in my OB/Midwife practice they wont.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
April 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
I though with essure, at least i know around here, they won't do it unless you are atleast 35/40. At least in my OB/Midwife practice they wont.
I believe the state of Oregon its 25 or 21 with 2 or more children (one of each would be another way of putting it)

We are TEAM BLUE
April 22nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is DH against a vasectomy? I know that would be my choice. I don't want any more kids either but I'll be using FAM and condoms to avoid until we're positive we don't want anymore and then he's considering getting vasectomy.

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

April 24th, 2010, 07:40 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
gotta agree with Lisa, have you and DH discussed him getting a vasectomy?
Gary plasn on getting it after we've had one more but with me having pcos and very rarley getting AF it seems pointless.

Do you have the mini pill over there? thats taken everyday without a break, some people find there periods stop totally aswell.

April 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM
for us there would be a $1000 copay (almost that much) and the essure or mirena can be done in the office with no copay, and a bill of about $200-300 when all is said and done....so thats why we are looking at this option instead....

I think were going to go with the mirena, that is if I can BF on it without causing baby a hormone overdose!

We are TEAM BLUE
April 24th, 2010, 08:56 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
wow, thats a lot of money!
So glad birth control is free here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search