Breastfeeding update...

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are giving another go at BFing. I've been kinda hesitant to post this because I don't want to jinx myself! I gave my nipples a few days to heal and started again. Not full time, I'm just easing myself into it a couple of times a day until my boobs get used to it. It still hurts a little bit, but not nearly as bad as before.

I think Charlotte was feeling my anxiety before because she is latching fairly well now, no more thrashing when we are trying to nurse. And we have perfected the latch technique, much better now! The problem now is she is lazy. Well, actually she was always lazy about it, but I know bottle feeding doesn't help. She will go at it pretty vigorously and I know she is getting some because I hear her swallowing it, but then she falls asleep and no amount of jiggling or playing with her nose, cheeks, or chin wakes her up. So I think "okay, she must have had her fill" but then she gets hungry again quickly so I know she didn't get enough. Help! How to I get this little girl to eat her fill??

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
June 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both my boys would eat like this. I know this isn't probably what you want to hear but I just waited it out. I nursed them whenever they wanted to be nursed for however long they wanted to nurse--meaning if they nursed for an hour and a half and wanted to nurse again a half hour later, I let them. They got more efficient and better at it as they got older (meaning a few months old). I think you're doing so great Krista, you're definitely giving this your all and you can't do any better! I'm so proud of you Mama!!!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
If your boobs are up to it, just cut the bottle out. I promise she'll eat when she's hungry. Her laziness is so very typical for her age, just like Jenn said. As they get older, they are more efficient eaters, and faster. If she knows you'll just give her the bottle (which gives her the milk faster), then she may hold out for it.

With all that said, I am SO proud of you for giving it another try. You rock Krista!!!

Come visit my blog!
June 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
glad to hear you and charlotte are doing well! i bet she loves snuggling with u to BF again maybe you're just soothing her into a slumber! i have no advice, but jen's sounded good to me. i'm sure she will get better and better at it as time goes on.
June 12th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to say how awesome it is that you are giving BFing another go! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll both get there

June 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*sierra*~ View Post
glad to hear you and charlotte are doing well! i bet she loves snuggling with u to BF again maybe you're just soothing her into a slumber! i have no advice, but jen's sounded good to me. i'm sure she will get better and better at it as time goes on.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
June 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Way to go Krista! I'm proud of you for keeping at it!

June 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WTG Krista Rylie BF like that at first too. They'll only eat till they're full and they'll eat again when they wake up. I'd say it's pretty normal

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

June 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WTG on giving it another try. When you say she is hungry soon, how soon? Oliver nursed every two hours for several months. She will turn into a nursing pro in no time. Oliver would get filled up in 5-8 mins as a baby.
June 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think what you've described is pretty typical of a newborn. Nursing a baby for the first 2-4 weeks is an 18-hour a day job! It literally feels like you never stop nursing and that is NORMAL. It doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk--it's natures way of jump-starting your breasts and helping the bonding process between mom & baby. It's exhausting, I know, but just settle into bed and forget about everything else but your baby for a few weeks. Seriously! Just nurse constantly, and use tons and tons of lanolin. No way in heck could I have bfed without it! Apply it before AND after nursing if you need to.

Do you have anyone who can help you out & bring you meals?

June 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
Yup sounds normal!! I know both my boys ate frequently and sometime for short periods of times.. sometimes LONG with a short break between. They just nurse and nurse and nurse! But it will end hehe. There is an end to it Just keep at it!! Sounds like things are going well!

I know I'm planning my house set up just for that! I plan on making safe areas for the boys to play while I nurse forever hehe.

June 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
~*Bethy*~'s Avatar Ian, Morgan and Isabella!
WTG Krista!!!!
Momma to Ian (8), Morgan (7) and Isabella (4) - Expecting baby #4 in Oct. 2014!

HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR PRENATAL??
We are TEAM BLUE
June 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much! When I say she wants to nurse again soon, I mean 30 minutes to an hour later. She'll nurse for about 30 minutes, but only about 5 to 10 of it is vigorous, really active nursing... the rest is lazy and not real productive, but I don't like to take her off until she just lets go, so I let her keep on going. But if that is normal then that is great! That makes me so happy!

DH has the next two weeks off so maybe he can help me out if she wants to nurse frequently. I'm so excited that things are actually going right! And at this point the pain is pretty tolerable, probably about half as painful as it used to be. Latching doesn't really hurt much at all anymore, it is just the wear and tear over a few nursings or if she latches wrong when it begins hurting.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
June 13th, 2010, 08:22 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yup it is normal for a newborn to want to nurse CONSTANTLY. I swear I felt like the first couple months were one long growth spurt. Matthew would stay on there for forever, then want to nurse again only a short time later. It was tiring and sometimes I just wanted my arms free for a bit, but in the long run it really doesn't last forever. Take advantage of your Dh being home to help out! Mine would refill my water cup and bring me snacks, take care of meals and kitchen clean up. It helped SO much to help me keep my energy. Also that baby on my chest sleeping, I'd give Matthew to Dh once he fell asleep, then I'd go sleep on my tummy/side (ah, bliss) and catch a few hours of zzz's while Matthew slept on Dh's chest.

WTG for keeping on with the BFing! You are doing a great job!

June 14th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Mjp121212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Perfectly normal.....Brady would nurse every 30-45mins too. I had to give him a bottle because I wasn't making milk and he couldn't latch on.....he had to have preemie nipples. We cup fed and dropper fed, but he didn't have a suck reflex yet so I had to give him a bottle and in a sense teach him how to suck. He got kinda lazy to but we ended up exclusively breastfeeding, it just took time. If your bb's are up to it then take away the bottle and she will nurse when she is hungry. Or you can use the big huge playtex orangey colored nipples (at least that is what I used) with a tiny TINY little hole that she'd REALLY have to work for at the times you supplement. That is how I got Brady back But the frequency is perfectly normal. I knew Brayden wasn't getting enough because for nearly 2 days he'd nurse for 5 or 10mins and then cry....nurse for a few minutes, then cry. And then we spent HOURS crying one night, I took him to the pedi worried (he was 10days old) and he had dropped 1/2 pound from 6pounds back down to 5 1/2. Dr had the nurse give him 4 oz on enfamil and the poor thing acted like he'd never eaten! so as long as she is content and sleeping between the feedings I'd say she is fine. If you are REALLY concerned by it look at her diapers first, make sure they look yellow and seedy, make sure she is wetting enough, and you can take her to the pedi's for a weight check also. They just take her and weigh her. If you have a LLL or a breastfeeding group, even WIC will do it----you can go there, they will weigh her before nursing, let you nurse her, then weigh her after. When my milk starting coming in I did this for Brayden to see how much he was getting.

Thanks to Maitri for my wonderful siggy!
June 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknok View Post
If your boobs are up to it, just cut the bottle out. I promise she'll eat when she's hungry. Her laziness is so very typical for her age, just like Jenn said. As they get older, they are more efficient eaters, and faster. If she knows you'll just give her the bottle (which gives her the milk faster), then she may hold out for it.

With all that said, I am SO proud of you for giving it another try. You rock Krista!!!
June 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Just wanted to say how awesome it is that you are giving BFing another go! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll both get there

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
June 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wanna also say CONGRATS for giving it another go!!! Also its normal.....I got TONS of JM time during those first few months because I would nurse and have my laptop
June 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Angelaosaurus-rex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY!!! Glad you giving it another go! Everyone already said what I would have and its all great advice!

Thanks so much to Helen for my beautiful siggy

June 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Mjp121212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I was also told my an older woman in the family to put a little bit of breastmilk on my nipples after each feeding as that would help too. I did it, not sure if it is recommended now or not LOL I do know it helps eye infections and a bunch of other stuff LOL And again WTG!

Thanks to Maitri for my wonderful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search