All natural ladies

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What natural shampoo/conditioner/soaps/shower gels do you use?

I want to get something handmade/natural. I'm due for a new batch of stuff so i figured i'd go a bit crunchy!
June 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LUSH products!!!!!! OMG I love love love it---
THIS is the best shampoo EVER and this little bar lasts 90 washes! PERFECT for traveling! LUSH -- Hair Care Products: Godiva Solid Shampoo (normal hair)
I don't like their conditioners though.
Face soap is this- LUSH -- LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics Facial Care Products: Fresh Farmacy Cleanser (normal to oily skin)
Body soap- LUSH -- Bath & Shower Products: Honey I Washed The Kids Handmade Soap (hand-cut soap, bar soap, bath soap, solid soap)
deodorant-http://store.thecrystal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=crystaldeo&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=63 549220&Count2=980689644&ProductID=2&Target=product s.asp
I'm still looking for the perfect natural face moisturizer!
I'm not in love but I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste.

great sites-
Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews
SafeMama | The Original One-stop child safety, product recall, health, well-being, eco-conscious resource for parents

London is all California baby and Earth Mama Angel Baby stuff.

Last edited by soImarriedAnerd; June 15th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
June 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Angelaosaurus-rex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use Organix... not sure if its all natural but its all organic. Man I hope that does not sound stupid since organic could mean all natural. I'm really not sure ! Organix ® - Beauty. Pure & Simple

Natural soaps always give me a rash.

Thanks so much to Helen for my beautiful siggy

June 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FYI - the lush products are not that "natural". There is some bad ingredients in the prodcuts. Check out the skin deep data base online. When I go to try something natural or "organic" I always check out skin deep's reviews: Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews. I check everything from shampoo/conditioner, deotrant, face wash, toothpaste, and of course anything I put on Oliver. You can plug in the product name/company and it will tell you how toxic/harmful it is. 0-2 is low hazard, 3-6 is moderate hazard, and 7-10 is high hazard. I've been checking stuff on there for over 4 years. I try to make sure everything we use on our bodies is 0-2 low hazard. It breaks down all the ingredients and tells you what the risks are. I love that site.

The shampoo/condition I currenty use is Hugo Naturals. I like it and it does the job. The lotion is awesome too!
June 15th, 2010, 09:27 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^CRAP its a FIVE! DANG I sooo loved it. I need a new shampoo bar then.
I check everything for london but I slack on checking for me.
June 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Veteran
This is a great question Sara. I appreciate your answers lady. I am really trying to green my life and plus with my allergies and asthma and Michael's asthma I think this change can only be for the better!

<TTC #1 since 2007> <Thank you AshyPoo03 for this siggy!>
Lap #1 for cyst 12/9/10-- Lap #2 2/11/11,
Open laporotomy to remove Stage III endo 5/24/11
HSG: 8/9/11

June 16th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
WELEDA! I also use a lot of Weleda products on Jax... and myself too when I have extra funds. They are all really amazing products! I won't use and pay extra for organic products unless they are really good and work well, and I've loved everything I've tried from them.

Quote:
Started in 1921, Weleda has been a pioneer in the field of bio-dynamic, organic personal care, using plant extracts and ingredients from around the globe to produce exquisite products that are in harmony with nature and human beings.

Since this time, Weleda has adhered to these original quality standards, continuing to use biodynamic and organic ingredients to create its unique preparations. All formulations are free of synthetic preservatives, fragrances, colorants and parabens, and the ingredients and finished products are never tested on animals.

Our pure plant extracts and ingredients are harvested throughout the world, either from our own gardens, or through contractual partnerships with farmers. We work with local farmers, helping them to convert their conventional farms into sustainable, organic agriculture. Through these Fair Trade agreements, Weleda offers economic and social support to these communities. Such practices uphold Weleda's founding virtue, "In harmony with nature and the human being."
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches

Last edited by **jessie**; June 16th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
June 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Yeah.. when it comes to products I could care less if they are organic. I'm more about what the ingredients are. They can say organic and still be loaded with bad things. I looked into the Weleda products but they rated high for hazard ingredients too.
June 16th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that site has good intentions, but you have to look at the product and its ingredients separately. Looking at that site, it lists things as 'hazards' even if it is not in context, kwim?

Like I use the Weleda Calendula creme bath for Jaxon. The ingredients are:

Water (Aqua), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Alcohol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Oleate, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Fragrance *, Sodium Beeswax, Xanthan Gum, Limonene *, Linalool *
* from natural essential oils

I looked up each ingredient separately and all the ingredients are safe. A couple can present hazards, but in a different form than whats used in a soap. For example Xanthan Gum can set off food allergies if eaten because it is made from corn, soy or wheat, but in the case of a soap that's not an issue.

I'm just discussing, I promise... not debating at all! Since I have a scientific background, I tend to be more skeptical of websites that rate things like that.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
June 16th, 2010, 06:03 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm of no help/ The only soap I've ever been able to use is Dove. And shampoo is whatever is on sale at the grocery store or BJs. I'd love to get all California Baby for the kids--I have their calendula lotion and love it--but its soooooo expensive.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 16th, 2010, 06:24 AM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use Alba botanica body lotion. I buy a huge (and I mean giant) bottle for around $20, which I think is reasonable. Plus it doesn't have organic written all over it. I have a hard enough time buying organic foods without DH throwing a tantrum about prices. I just use regular shampoos and Ivory soap.

For Jenna I use Bert's Bee baby products. They smell so yummy and we love them. Plus they are sold at Target so they are easy to purchase...and I feel they are affordable too. They might not be as natural as other brands, but I feel like they are a good compromise.

June 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
awesome info, thanks everyone! i had gone to that site but honestly it was just overwhelming. nothing seemed safe to me anymore! and the thing that were safe i couldnt get here.
June 16th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by **jessie** View Post
I think that site has good intentions, but you have to look at the product and its ingredients separately. Looking at that site, it lists things as 'hazards' even if it is not in context, kwim?

Like I use the Weleda Calendula creme bath for Jaxon. The ingredients are:

Water (Aqua), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Alcohol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Oleate, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Fragrance *, Sodium Beeswax, Xanthan Gum, Limonene *, Linalool *
* from natural essential oils

I looked up each ingredient separately and all the ingredients are safe. A couple can present hazards, but in a different form than whats used in a soap. For example Xanthan Gum can set off food allergies if eaten because it is made from corn, soy or wheat, but in the case of a soap that's not an issue.

I'm just discussing, I promise... not debating at all! Since I have a scientific background, I tend to be more skeptical of websites that rate things like that.
I agree. I look at the list of ingredients and check what each one is.
June 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resi View Post
Yeah.. when it comes to products I could care less if they are organic. I'm more about what the ingredients are. They can say organic and still be loaded with bad things.

This is how I feel too!

It's so hard to find products that are actually natural. There's no real regulations as to what you can call natural...that's why I like the SkinDeep website.. it helps me make better decisions!

I'm using Aubrey Organics GBP shampoo and conditioner right now. It's ok..but my hair is long and fine and it sometimes weighs my hair down. I may switch to Hugo Naturals after I use it all.

I use their sea buckthorn face products too..while im not too wild about the scent, I LOVE the results. I have really moody skin...it's combination and really hard to get enough moisture without making it greasy. After going through everything from Clinique to Dermalogica, the Aubrey system is by far the best for me!

For body wash, I just use Burt's Bee's Peppermint Rosemary soap. I LOVE it!

Haven't seemed to find a winner for natural deodorant though.. .blech.

June 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use target brand on baby at the moment lol I myself use avalon organics though - some of them on that site are hazards but Im addicted so there

oo just found out my lavender lotion is a 2 - score!!
June 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea if these are truly natural/organic (I think they are but I'm ta bit under the weather and can't will myself to go and check) but I use Giovanni's products sometimes.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
June 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
aww feel better mari!
June 17th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
This is how I feel too!

It's so hard to find products that are actually natural. There's no real regulations as to what you can call natural...that's why I like the SkinDeep website.. it helps me make better decisions!

I'm using Aubrey Organics GBP shampoo and conditioner right now. It's ok..but my hair is long and fine and it sometimes weighs my hair down. I may switch to Hugo Naturals after I use it all.

I use their sea buckthorn face products too..while im not too wild about the scent, I LOVE the results. I have really moody skin...it's combination and really hard to get enough moisture without making it greasy. After going through everything from Clinique to Dermalogica, the Aubrey system is by far the best for me!

For body wash, I just use Burt's Bee's Peppermint Rosemary soap. I LOVE it!

Haven't seemed to find a winner for natural deodorant though.. .blech.
I use some of the Aubrey Organic skin care line too. I tried the shampoo/conditinar but it felt to heavy. For deodorant I use one of those rock/salt/stone things. It lasts for almost a year with my hisband and I both using it. I think it works well enough too.
June 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resi View Post
For deodorant I use one of those rock/salt/stone things. It lasts for almost a year with my hisband and I both using it. I think it works well enough too.
Those work for me too, but they still have aluminum in them which can be a concern... I may switch to using them though. It's the most natural thing I can get to work so far!

June 17th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
Those work for me too, but they still have aluminum in them which can be a concern... I may switch to using them though. It's the most natural thing I can get to work so far!
The Crystal brand contains no aluminum and it's rated as a 0 on skin deep. That is the brand we have been using for about 3 years.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search