Milk supply going down, down, down...

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Charlotte is still mainly on booby juice these days, but I'm sorry to say my milk supply is tanking. I got sick with strep and then Charlotte got sick shortly thereafter and didn't want to nurse, and I think that's what really did it. Luckily I had like 400 oz in the freezer, but at this rate we are going through it pretty fast. I think we can make it to her birthday, but that's about it. I can only get about three bottles full while I'm at work, she usually eats four to six at daycare.

You think it is too late in the game to get it back? It would have to be a weekend effort. I already pump four times a day for thirty minutes each at work, I can't really fit in any more.

I know charlotte is about ready to transition to having more solids. Although I'm at a loss for snacks I can give her outside of just fruits and yogurt. She gets some of the gerber snack products like little baked cheese puffs and crackers, but I would rather give her more stuff from home. Any ideas? Booby juice is so much easier than having to think through this stuff! lol

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
April 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amara went on whole milk at 12 months though we still breastfed until 18-19months. I drank loads of water and ate oatmeal in my breastfeeding days but I don't really have any suggestions for boosting it.

As for snacks, we concentrate mainly in veggies and fruits and we used the Gerber Puffs (Sweet Potato and Banana). She was really interested in fruits and veggies in the early days so her snacks were easier. We also did crackers (whole wheat), digestive biscuits, cheese and healthy options like that.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
April 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd try to get your supply back up and maybe it will increase with her nursing more often again. 400 oz!?! Wow, that is a nice stash. I never had half that much. When I pumped at work I got just enough to cover the following day. Maybe 3 6oz bottles from what I remember.

Snacks can be hard at her age unless she isn't picky. I remember thinking all the time how it's so much easier when they are just of BM. Have you tried cottage cheese, cheese cut up, grape tomatos, hummus on a pita, a quick scrambled egg? Those are my ideas of the top of my head.
April 21st, 2011, 12:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I guess it is probably fine because she should be doing mostly solids at 1 year old, along with transitioning to cow's milk. At this point, there is nothing solids wise she cannot eat. Just feed her small pieces of whatever you eat.

Breakfast: Cheerios, yogurt, fresh fruit, pancakes, toast pieces with fruit spread, scrambled eggs
Lunch: chopped pieces of deli meats, cheeses, whole grain breads, soup, steamed veggies- like carrot and zucchini sticks
Snacks: fruits or veggies, mozarrella cheese sticks, cottage cheese
Dinner, mashed potatoes and gravy, diced chicken or sausage, soups, eggs, shrimp (on e of Jax's favs) ect

HOW in the world did you get your work to allot you 2 hours of pumping time each day??!!! That is amazing. I think I will get two 15 minute pumping breaks and then my 30 min lunch.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
April 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you can get it back up, nothing is impossible. Maybe take the weekend to just nurse and pump. Drink lots of water, oatmeal, fenugreek, blessed thistle, mother's milk tea....

Lila still nurses a lot and hasn't had cow's milk at all yet. Probably won't introduce that until she weans. She never did take baby food, she started out on table food at about 9 months and has done great. She'll eat anything.

Favorites are: string cheese, crackers, fruit, steamed veggies (she prefers the veggies to the fruit actually), yogurt, cereal (cheerios and the like), fish (I bake flounder filets for her and she's in heaven!), chicken, deli roast beef, eggs, potatos (any kind).

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 21st, 2011, 06:15 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My supply naturally started to drop around 11-12 months (probably from Xander nursing less and eating more solids). I tried to pump more to make up for it, just so I could have a nice stash in the freezer, but I never could get more milk. My body was on its way down. I still nursed him til he was 14+ months, but I'm sure he didn't eat more than 8 oz in a day after he started having some whole milk at a year. Of course, my body never did do well with BF'ing and it was always an uphill battle for me, so I may be the minority here. lol.
April 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the suggestions! We were avoiding cow's milk, eggs, and nuts still. She still isn't supposed to have nuts right? What about honey?

Yeah I have a good job for being a pumping mom. I'm a computer programmer so I sit at a computer all day in my office alone, which means I can pump and work at the same time. Sounds miserable doesn't it??!

I way over did the pumping while on maternity leave because I was so afraid that going back to work was going to kill my supply, which is how I managed to get a freezer full of milk. I was producing about double what she ate at one point. I always thought it might go to waste, but it looks like she is going to use it after all, which is nice. It would have broken my hear to see so much milk go down the drain! It represents a lot of pumping time!

April 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought frozen milk only lasts 6 months? Is all that milk still good? I think it lasts longer if it's in a deep freezer.

I gave Oliver some PB around 1 years old but wasn't worried about allergies.
April 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Resi -- I continuously cycled through the frozen stuff so it wouldn't get too old. The oldest milk I have is six months old and it is still good.

I would love to feed her peanut butter but she does have one food allergy at the moment (bananas) so I'm a little paranoid. But I'm sure it would be a good addition since it is nice and fattening and high in protein.

April 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Each of mine have one food allergy and thats it. Liam is/was pumpkin (I think he recently outgrew it), Lochy is strawberry, and Lila is raspberry. They all do great with peanuts, nuts, egg, and everything else. We'd be in serious trouble if there was no peanut butter, that's pretty much what my boys live on!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search