Yet another question... Naps at the age of one???

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry, I know I've been posting a lot of questions lately. I need your btdt advice though! I sure appreciate it!

Soooooo... Charlotte still wakes up at night. We are moving her to her own room this weekend. She is getting a little better. If she wakes up before 4:30ish she will go back to sleep and sleeps until 7:00 or 8:00, which is great. But if she wakes after 4:30ish she is probably up for good, which sucks.

So, I'm wondering if we should manage her naps more. Right now she usually takes two naps a day. One about three hours after she wakes up which lasts 30 to 60 minutes. And another about three hours after that, which is a longer one at one to two hours. It usually has her sleeping anywhere between 2:00 to 4:30ish. Obviously it changes a little if it is one of our early mornings. Then bedtime is at 8:30.

Do you think that is a reasonable nap schedule? What did your LO do at this age? I'm thinking cutting down on naps might make her sleep more at night? I know in the next room over in daycare (1 to 2 year olds) they cut them down from two naps a day to one. Charlotte is about due to move up to that room.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
June 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
First off, all children are diffrent and have diffrent nap needs so what works for one may not work for another. Its all about trying diffrent things and finding what works for you.
For us, By the age of 1 Mia was having one nap... after lunch for 2 hours. She has always been a good sleeper, sleeping through the night from very early on.

June 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy

by age 1 both my kids were having naps once a day for around 1-2hrs (Kieran will nap upto 3hrs some days though). But I know others that stop napping all together at 1 and others that still need 2. All you can do is see if you cut out one nap if she'll sleep better.

June 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
*Fiona*
Sorry butting in.... I agree with the others, Kirsty napped once per day after lunch, but cut back gradually so you avoid overtiredness as being O/t can make it very difficult for little ones to settle for sleep and can cause short sleeps/wakefulness.
June 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Interesting! Maybe we should consider cutting down. Or maybe waking her up in the middle of her second long nap? I don't know how I would cut down on naps other than not letting her sleep for too long. I could try and keep her awake longer in the morning, but usually when she nurses for the second time in the morning she is out... So that would be kinda hard to do.

And Fi you are always welcome here! I'm always happy to see you make an appearance.

June 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oliver gave up his morning nap soon after turning 1. I let him do it on his own.

Btw, how did the party go?
June 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Nami's Avatar ♥ Mommy of three ♥
Alissa is still taking two naps a day.. but only because she wakes up at 5am every morning and is mega sleepy by 9am. She'll take a nap at 9am for an hour then at 2pm for an hour then it's to bed at 7-8pm. She use to nap for two hours each nap but since she's having sleeping issues at night the doctor made us cut down to only one hour each. I'd love to cut out her morning nap but when she's tired she is super cranky and starts falling all over the place hurting herself.

June 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lila just cut down to one nap about a month ago. She went from sleeping about 45 minutes in the morning and maybe 45 minutes to an hour in the afternoon to a solid block of about 3 hours now right after lunch. A few days ago she napped for 4 1/2 hours! She's in bed for 7pm and up for the day around 7am (give or take).

She does not sleep through the night--still gets up to nurse a couple times. It doesn't bother me though.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *krista* View Post
Interesting! Maybe we should consider cutting down. Or maybe waking her up in the middle of her second long nap? I don't know how I would cut down on naps other than not letting her sleep for too long. I could try and keep her awake longer in the morning, but usually when she nurses for the second time in the morning she is out... So that would be kinda hard to do.

And Fi you are always welcome here! I'm always happy to see you make an appearance.
Personally if you start "phasing" a nap out I'd do the first one! I wouldn't mess with her long nap! Pick a time when you have 2-3 days where you don't have to go anywhere and skip the morning nap and see how she responds. You'll probably have to move her late nap to a little earlier.

Somewhere between 1 and 18 months Madi went to one nap. Back then it was 3-4 hours long (she loves her sleep!), But now its between 2-3 hrs. When she was taking two naps they were roughly 90 minutes long each. When she switched to one nap she went from taking them at around 9am and 2pm to taking her nap between 12pm and 1pm.

June 3rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I give one nap a day by that age for no more than 2 hours and don't let them sleep past 4PM or else they won't sleep at night LoL!

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

June 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resi View Post

Btw, how did the party go?
It went well! Although I was a little upset because my dad didn't come. But other than that it was great. My mom was down for the weekend and we had a great time! I might post pics this weekend if I can find the time... and if you guys aren't too tired of me posting so many new threads! I'm being a bit of a thread hog.

June 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess we are odd man out. Jaxon was taking 2 naps per day at 1 year old. He actually just phased out to 1 not long ago (at 18 months). There would be times before then when he would go with just one, but if I tried to force him to do only one or shorten them he would lose it! Gradually he did it on his own terms.

At 1 yr, he would wake 630-7am (depending on if I was working or not) and then take two 1.5 hour naps. Sometimes the 2nd nap would be 2 hours. He went down for the night at 7:30 pm and always sttn 11-12 hours straight.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
June 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by **jessie** View Post
I guess we are odd man out. Jaxon was taking 2 naps per day at 1 year old. He actually just phased out to 1 not long ago (at 18 months). There would be times before then when he would go with just one, but if I tried to force him to do only one or shorten them he would lose it! Gradually he did it on his own terms.

At 1 yr, he would wake 630-7am (depending on if I was working or not) and then take two 1.5 hour naps. Sometimes the 2nd nap would be 2 hours. He went down for the night at 7:30 pm and always sttn 11-12 hours straight.
Ditto! This is my son to the T minus the night schedule.. My son is also a early riser since I work as well..

My daughter was the same way also except she would sleep in a bit longer then A.J.

June 5th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amara too was still taking 2 naps at age 1 and she phased down to one nap later on. I don't remember the age. She didn't really start sleeping through consistently until around 16 -18 months. I'm getting so ad with remembering when all the little things happen. thankfully, I have most of them recorded.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
June 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Mari did she just start sttn all on her own?

And we tried "nap management" this weekend. The first day was good, she stayed up for about five hours then took a nice, long three hour nap from 11 to 2. But then she woke up twice in the night. Epic fail! But dh notices she cut a tooth this weekend, so that could have something to do with it! We will try again next weekend.

June 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
fromGirltoMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kenn still napped 2x a day at 1yr. She dropped down to 1 just before 15m. Our daycare is the same like yours in the baby room (6w-1yrish) they let them nap as often as they wanted. Kenn would take a morning nap and then whenever she wanted/was tired again she would go down for her afternoon nap. Bedtime was and always has been at 8pmish. Around 14m just before she was moved out of the baby room and into the toddler room, I was having trouble getting her to go to sleep during the week but on the weekends I had no trouble bc I had stopped giving her a 2nd nap. I had to fight her daycare a little bit to get them to listen but once they did it was bliss again. She was still waking in the night then too. She just started STTN about 1m ago. I night weaned her when she was 16m and since shes been getting up about 1x a night til recently. I just moved her into her own bigg girl toddler bed too once she started STTN. And shes done amazing!
(( 01*21*14 ))

Thy will be done through me for the highest good of all and for the true manifestation of my purpose.

in this time and in the place, I try to live with love and grace
June 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, she started on her own. I attempted to try the CIO but I did not have the heart so I went back to all the "bad" stuff. I picked her up if she got up and I comforted her and put her back down when she settled. I used to give her a breastfeed her in the night at one point but when I realised she didn't really need it, I weaned her from that and she would sleep until 4ish and then want her milk. Eventually I cut that out and that was it. When she's teething, she will still get up in the night but once that is over, it's back to STTN unless she's not feeling well or has a bad dream.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
June 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Interesting! See, I was afraid if I don't sleep train now then she will establish bad sleeping patterns that could last a lifetime. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess each baby is different. It definitely makes me feel better about not sleep training or night weaning yet. Maybe I will take your approach Mari -- night wean first and see if sttn follows.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search