Fun Stuff - For the crafty and non-crafty

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2011, 08:42 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Look what I made yesterday! I think it turned out ok for a non-crafty person. I cannot stitch, do no own a sewing machine, only know how to hem, sew a button and that's about it. But my daughter is playing more with her doll and dressing/undressing it her I figure I could use some old clothing to make some doll clothes.

So...I searched around the house and found:
- Needle
- Black and Brown thread
- Fabric glue
- Scissors

Here's the result...

My attempt at sewing with my hands and use of fabric glue

On the doll

Anyone do anything a bit out of their league? Please share.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Mars; June 21st, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
June 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow that turned out perfect!! Nicely done mari! I feel your pain, I'm totally not crafty either.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
June 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very nice job! I love it! You should make a matching top for Amara!

This is what I made for Lila that I love the best--I think its the daisies that got me!
It has a matching diaper cover too.

I also love this that I made last week. It was super easy, took maybe an hour to do. Also has a matching diaper cover. Excuse her not so with it look, she was into Barney at the moment. lol

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

Last edited by **Jenn**; June 23rd, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
June 22nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
Those are fantastic!! And the girls are so pretty in them.

I'm thinking about buying a sewing machine and taking a class but the research process is moving along rather slowly.

June 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow Jenn! You are good! *jealous* I was also considering buying a sewing machine when I become a sahm. What features are good to have for a learning beginner that wants to make kids clothes, anyone know? I would want one that I can grow with, but I don't want to spend tons of money on features I won't need. Brands?

Okay sorry I just hijacked. I can start a new thread if you want mari. But it sounds like good info for you too.

June 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
I have a Janome 4618LE

It works great for me. I just started sewing around Christmas time--couldn't even thread a machine before that! I still haven't done everything the machine can do with the different presser feet and all that, still learning!

June 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow and you made all that? Nice!

June 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I actually started doing it to make Lila's birthday outfit. Then I realized just how much money I'm saving making things. I made the boys pajamas, bibs for Lila, dresses (I won't buy her dresses anymore because I can make them for so cheap!). I go to the remnant bin at the fabric store since I only need about a yard of fabric to make a dress and matching diaper cover for her so I get cute fabric on sale. That pink dress cost me less than 4 bucks to make, and the daisy one cost about 10 (if that). The fabric for the daisy dress wasn't on sale so that's why it was more.

June 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
That's awesome, Jenn!!

Krista, I don't mind. This is all good info and Jenn has me really inspired now.

June 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
cute!!! you did a great job!

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
June 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those are all super cute! I love sewing! Especially when the project is easy and fast! Right now I'm into making these dresses/shirts. Everyday Celebrations: Tutorial: Sweet Summer Dress

Krista: My first machine was a cheap Brother that my parents bought at Walmart for me. It worked (and still does) amazingly well for all of my 'beginner' projects and even handled some more difficult ones too. I regret giving it to my sister because it was pretty idiot proof! The one I'm using now is a Kenmore, its a little more sturdy than my Brother was and has alot more stitch options, but also not super expensive.

June 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
I saw a 30 stitch and a 60 stitch Singer machine selling in one of the stores here but I need to get the brands to review. There also another store but they don't have the machines listed on theie website so I have to go in the store to check. We don't have a lot of brands or options here and I don't really want to import one because the shipping, handling, insurance and duties would make it too costly.

I have a friend who told me to buy one that has the capability to handle thicker fabrics so I need something basic but with that capability and I would like if I don't have to do much with the threading/bobbin.

Jessi, what a cute project. Take some pics of yours when you are finished.

Last edited by Mars; June 23rd, 2011 at 06:32 AM.
June 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Spero's Avatar Nice to meet you, I'm Kat
Wow you are all talented! Those dresses are cute!

My parents gave me a beginner Singer machine for Christmas a few years back. I'm not sure where they got it, but I used it to make a few pillows and a bed for my dog. It seemed pretty user friendly if you're interested.

I really want to make some cream covers for our couch pillows, just have to find the time and energy.

June 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looks great! I have a Janome Magnolia 7330 and love it! a little pricer than singers and brothers but i think worth every penny. i put it on a layaway plan at the sewing machine shop and paid a little bit on it. I also "bought" it when it was on sale and saved 30 or 50 on it. Previously I used my mom's ancient singer, and i do mean ancient- all metal casing and mounted in the sewing desk, it's a 1970's or 80's machine, and i wanted to pull my hair out every time i used it between the thread breaking, it skipping stiches, and on and on. A friend who helped pick out my machine recommended a computerized machine as they don't need to be taken in to be "timed" like most non-computerized machines.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
June 24th, 2011, 12:05 PM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so adorable Mari!!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

June 24th, 2011, 12:30 PM
So far the only 2 brands I've found here are the Brother and Singer so I'm getting model numbers and doing reviews through amazon and other sites.

June 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my sewing machine is still in the unopen package from 7 yrs ago! LOL
June 28th, 2011, 07:21 AM
You should mail it to me Angela!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search