BFing question

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So it seems Charlotte is losing interest in bfing. It is a little earlier than I would like, but she has always been a lazy eater. She doesn't really want to nurse except before bed, overnight, and first thing in the morning. I still pump at work and I think it is the only thing keeping my daytime supply alive. But I suppose if she isn't interested I should start winding that down too. But I'm worried. I still want to nurse her at night and first thing in the morning so long as she wants to. Will not nursing during the day completely kill my supply, or will my body adjust to produce it at the same times she wants it? I know pregnancy alone can do a number on your supply, so that compounds the problem. Any weaning experiences to share?

Ugh I really don't want her to stop, but there isn't much I can do. Since she is a picky eater it makes me nervous that she might not get everything she needs. I got her some multivitamin drops, but still. I wish we could have that perfect nursing relationship I hear about, but this has always been an uphill battle.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
June 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't speak to nursing while pregnant but I can tell you when I was weaning DS my supply shifted and adjusted to fit his new schedule. I work every other day. I would nurse him every night before bed, in the morning and before nap time when I was home. At a year I stopped pumping at work but my supply stayed up for those times he normally nursed. We stopped doing the night time feeding, then the nap, then a week or so later he stopped asking all together (he was around 18 months). Even with only nursing him a few times a day and eliminating nursing I always had enough for him come nursing time.
June 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My BM took a hit about 6 weeks and was gone by london being 18 months (to lazy to do the math). So pregnancy has a TON to do with it. Also at that age...london was more interested in other things than BFing...not sure he was losing interest, but had more "important" things to do! LOL If you want to keep it going I would keep up with the pumping. If you were not preggo I would say your boobs would adjust but being preggo I would think your going to drop anyway and your buying more time with the pumping.
June 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like Charlotte! She's very busy, lots of important things to do. Too busy for bfing!

A part of me would love to not have the burden of pumping at work anymore. But a bigger part of me will mourn like I've lost something. I guess that is just a part of being a mommy. Dh is very ready for me to stop. He thinks it is weird that I went past a year. But facing her nutrition without bfing as a crutch is kinda scary!

June 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both my boys weaned during my next pregnancy. Liam was 13 1/2 months and I was 3 months into my pregnancy with Lochy. He was down to 3 times a day when I got pregnant--first thing in the morning, before nap, and before bed. Lochy weaned at 26 months--5 months into my pregnancy with Lila. He was really only nursing first thing in the morning though for a couple months before he gave it up completely.

I think pregnancy had a lot to do with losing my supply. The milk just tanked though it lasted longer for Lochy. Before I got pregnant with Lila though, Lochy would switch from nursing mostly during the day to nursing mostly during the night every couple months and my supply always adjusted well. There's not much you can do if she's just not really interested anymore.

I know how you feel though. I was not ready for Liam to wean when he did. We had so many problems and I went through so much to get to the point we did and I was not ready to let that go. But he was so even though it caused me some tears for a couple days I got over it. And my bfing relationship with Lochy and Lila have been soooooo much smoother. I hope the same holds true for you and your new little one you've got cooking!

Oh, and Lila is 15 months and still going strong! Though she did night wean herself a few weeks ago and FINALLY started sleeping through the night!!!!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 27th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd just let her nurse when she wants to and not worry about your supply going down. Oliver was a super picky eater that ate small amounts and he is doing much better now. It's a phase a lot of them go through.

I need to get pregnant so that my supply starts to tank! Geesh.. there is NOTHING more important in Oliver's world than breastfeeding. It's almost the only thing he has melt downs over. I'm getting to the point that I'm ready to be done by the time he turns 3 but he has other plans.
June 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too say to let her nurse when she wants and don't worry about the supply.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
June 28th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all of your input! I was kind of feeling like I was failing or something, but it makes me feel better to hear that it is a common thing both with pregnancy and at the age Charlotte is now. You're right, I need to stop worrying so much and let Charlotte go with the "flow". Haha! Okay that was a bad pun, but you know what I mean.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search