Benjamin Elias

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Benjamin Elias is here. He was born at 35 weeks 6 days on March 25th at 8:17 pm, weighing 5 lbs. 13 oz. and was 18 inches long.

I woke up Tuesday morning (March 25th) with strong contrax after having dreamt that I was in I labor. I did not want to go into labor until next week when my dr. was back from vacation...but Ben had other plans. I tried taking a warm bath and shower, drinking over a liter of water, resting, etc. but couldn't get rid of the increasingly strong contrax. I knew I had an NST at 9:30 and ob appt. w/the NP at 10:15 am, so I figured they'd check me then.

I continued contracting throughout the NST and then when the NP checked me she said that my cervix had thinned out and I was one cm dilated. She made me promise that I'd take the Turbutoline (sp?) right when I got home and that she'd have a nurse call in an hour to see if contrax had stopped. Well...I did take it and they only got worse. So I was sent to the hospital.

Once there, I got the SAME doctor (filling in for mine) as last week. She actually tried to say that I was not in labor because I wasn't dilating further than the week before. Ummm...last week you said I was closed and long.

They tried stopping labor with 2 bags of IV fluid, but the contrax only got more painful. They put me on Stadol once again.

It got pretty bad. With each contrax, my blood pressure went through the roof. At one point it was even 225 over 110! But then as soon as it was taken between contrax it was almost normal. So the doctor conferred with Maternal Fetal Med. and they decided to deliver (5 minutes before the doctor's shift change...but at least she stayed to assist the next doctor).

So they take me in to do the spinal and the anesthesiologists can't put it in the right place or something because it took them 45 minutes to final decide to do an epidural. They kept putting the spinal too far to the right or too far to the left (lots of pain) and kept having to re-inject numbing meds. Owie!

So finally I'm numb and they start the c-section. Well the doctor's pager goes off. He literally asks one of the staff to check it for him and call into his answering service to see what its about. He decides to take it. So he tells the other two doctors and medical staff to stop for a minute (yes I was already being cut open) while he talks with another patient about her pain and if it was random or constant, etc. etc. What?? Umm...couldn't an OB nurse or another doctor have taken that call?

Anyhoo...Ben is born and is so beautiful. Dh was able to even cut the cord and then go do kangaroo care with him in the recovery room while they were stitching and stapling me up (which was about an hour). During that time, I hear, "Veronica? Veronica? Are you okay?" and "She's turning white as a ghost." "Veronica, hon, lay down on the floor." "Veronica, say something. Speak to us Veronica." And now I'm starting to feel weird..but all attention is on someone named Veronica. I look over to the blood pressure machine and my blood pressure is dangerously low. But thankfully picks back up to 101 over 60-something the next time it was taken. But oh my! I thought I was going to pass out!

So then the doctors finish stapling me and I hear, "Oh great! Did someone call another scrub tech in to take over for Veronica? Did she at least do a count before she had her episode?" "No." "Well then call x-ray in here stat!" So then we wait for xray and the doctor explains that they believe all instruments and sponges are accounted for but they had to make sure. So xray comes and takes two pictures. Then we wait for them to bring up the results and I hear the doctor say, "What's that?" So of course I say, "What do you mean, what's that?" And the xray tech explains its just a line from developing. Whew! So finally I'm cleared to go to recovery.

Ben was so adorable and had apgars of 9 and 9. However, 2 hours and 10 minutes later they said that his respirations were too fast. That even though his oxygen sats were in the 90's, he was working too hard to keep them there.

They put him in the NICU where he was giving cpap with room air just to help his lungs have a break. They also gave him the standard two antibiotics that all NICU babies get. He was off of cpap by the next morning and we were both released on Friday afternoon.

He is doing well. I want to breastfeed, but right now I'm pumping so we can measure each feeding and make sure he's getting enough. At first I had to supplement with formula, but now I'm pumping only! So that is good. Once we get the red light, I will be re-introducing the breast. I had started bf'ing at the hospital but only as extra (over and above the formula they were tube and then bottle feeding him.)

April 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM
4boys
Wow, you sure went through a lot to get him here! But congrats; he is beautiful and I'm glad to hear things are going well. I love his name; I have a son with the same name!
April 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I can't believe everything they put you through. I'm glad you are both doing well now though. Congrats!

April 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Tonya_Ashlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow what an interesting story! Did you ever find out who Veronica was? I am glad he is doing well!
April 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! That's a wild birth story! Glad it all turned out well for you and Ben though!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search