Log In Sign Up

The Birth of David Thomas- With pictures

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,014
On Monday March 17, 2008, I went to my doctor’s appointment. At this point I had been having contractions but they were only every 15 minutes so I didn’t think anything of them. At this doctor’s appointment I found out that I was 2-3cm dilated and 50% effaced. The doctors told me that there was nothing to worry about just to go to the hospital when contractions got every five minutes apart. On Easter Sunday, March 23, I was feeling really off, my back was hurting and contractions were getting stronger. Sunday night at 8:00pm we timed contractions and they were coming every five minutes. When they checked me I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. Doctors decided because I was not at 36 weeks according to their date that they wanted to stop labor. I was given Brethine that worked to stop labor. The next day I went back to the doctor for my weekly appointment, at this point contractions were coming irregularly again and I was checked to see if my cervix was progressing I was still 3cm dilated but 90% effaced, the doctor told me that I was officially on bed rest and we needed to do everything we could to keep him in until at least Friday March 28. On Tuesday March 25 I was back in the hospital for labor to be stopped again. The contractions were back regular before Wednesday morning. By Thursday I knew that I was in full labor again, I had the same feeling as I had had on Easter Sunday. I spent the day lying around but couldn’t really rest. Thursday when Tommy got off work I told him that it was time to go to the hospital, by this point I really thought that labor would just be stopped again and I would be sent home so I started planning what I wanted for supper. (Looking back I should have eaten then)
When the nurses checked me this time I was already 5 cm dilated which is what they consider too far to stop, our son was on his way. I was officially checked into room 422 at 7:00pm. I was hooked up to my antibiotic for the Group B Strep. Some where between 9:00pm and 11:00pm my doctor came in and broke my water and decided that pitocin needed to be given (I know it was around this time because I was watching the Celebrity Apprentice Finale ) . Pitocin is the devil, up until this point I was able to talk calmly thru all of my contractions. Once I was given Pitocin I felt like someone was ripping my stomach out. I felt hot and cold all at the same time. My back hurt so bad that I felt like it was breaking in to. I lost track of time around here. It seemed like hours, but soon it was time to push. I pushed until I couldn’t push any more. It felt like I was getting no where, but pushing was the only way I could get relief from the pressure. At some point the pushing stopped working, he wasn’t budging. I tried different positions and movement, but nothing would help. In the end all of the pushing in the world didn’t help, he was stuck. The Doctor had to use a vacuum to get him out.
David Thomas was born at 3:22am on March 28, 2008. He weighed 7lbs 3oz and was 20in long. David was born at 36 weeks which made him 4 weeks early. I have fourth degree tear and a broken tail bone. It took the Doctor over an hour to sow me up and all the while they were working on David. When David was born his lungs were not mature enough yet and he couldn’t maintain his oxygen and respiration. David was taken from us and put in the NICU.

The Doctor told me that if David has waited a week longer we could have lost him. They also told me that I need to have all future children by C section for the safety of me and the baby. I am very thankful that I was able to have David the way that I wanted which naturally. There were points that I thought it was too much to handle but my family was able to support me and help me thru it. I would not change a think about the birth itself except for the pitocin.

The Story in Pictures ( the short version)

Leaving for the hospital:

Waiting to be Admitted

The Room:

Before Pitocin:



Brand New:

Just before he was taken to the NICU

Donna - Mom to David and Asher

Reply With Quote
April 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Posts: n/a
Oh honey, I am so glad he decided to come out when he did! You are fantastic, having a natural birth with pitocin! Congrats on your baby boy and I hope you are recovering well.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0