Cadence Elizabeth's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On Thursday, April 3rd I woke up feeling fine. I had a dr's appointment at 1pm. Around 12:30 I started some cramping off and on, but honestly thought it was just because I had to go to the bathroom. I went to my check-up, everything looked great, I was 3cm, 70% effaced. Doctor finally gave me permission to give birth anytime I wanted since I was now exactly 38 weeks pregnant. We then took Alex over to his pediatrician's appointment at 2:15. We started the 45 minute drive home. By the time we got 10 minutes away from home I realized I was having cramping every 2-3 minutes, and they hurt so bad I had to breathe through them. I looked at Shawn and told him I honestly thought we were headed the wrong way and needed to turn back towards the hospital NOW.

Shawn called his mom and we made a small detour to drop Alex, our toddler, off with her to stay the night. I think Shawn could tell by my breathing and the pain that this was NOT a dress rehearsal!! We got up to the hospital at 4pm. The nurses took one look at me hunched over breathing through contractions and said we could skip triage and a NST and they were putting me right in a room! They quickly checked me and I was already 5cm!!! The nurses started freaking out then when I told them that yes I planned on an epidural with this one just like my last...they said they had to get an IV started and draw blood and get it back from the lab before they could call the anesthesiologist, so they were rushing around getting supplies for the IV.

At this point, my ob-gyn came in and told them to hurry up on my IV and broke my water (which hurt, badly!!). They asked me if I wanted anything for pain until they could get my blood work drawn and back and get the epidural and I said no. Within 10 minutes of breaking my water I told them that YES, I wanted something for pain, hehe! So they gave me some Stadol in my IV. I then started feeling really loopy and relaxed. I no longer answered people when they talked to me and just concentrated on relaxing. I got my epidural once the blood work came back (I think this was around 6pm?? But not sure). They took FOREVER to get the epidural placed, and I had to breathe through it. I think it took her 20-30 minutes to get it in place, but I only had one stick, thank goodness. Then, only my left side went numb. And I mean SO numb that I had NO control over my left leg. So they had to roll me to the right just to get a little effect on my right side. All the way through delivery though everytime they wanted me to move my left leg I'd have to have Shawn physically pick it up and move it for me lol! The right I could still move, it was only a little tingly.

After I got my epidural, my contractions stopped. Completely. And I had been contracting SO beautifully. So they started me on pitocin. At that point I fell asleep. They woke me up at 9pm and asked me if I felt any pressure. I said "sort of". They did a pelvic and her head was RIGHT there and I was at 9cm!!! So I slept from 5-9cm! At 9:25 the nurse had me start pushing because at this point it was an OVERWHELMING urge that I HAD to push. Once she saw I was moving the baby down the ob-gyn was called in as she was crowning. I pushed for maybe 30 minutes. The ob-gyn gave me a numbing shot because he said I may need an episiotomy, and asked if I felt the shot and I said yes and he laughed and said "Good, cause you needed it then!" Then she wasn't budging quick enough so he decided to get the vacuum. Once he put the vacuum on her head she was out in 2 pushes, first her head, then her shoulders and body followed. It was wonderful! I only screamed a little

She was born at 9:53pm, weighing 6lbs 15oz and 18.5" long. She cried but everytime they put the hat on her, she would stop. They'd take the hat off to do something, she'd start crying again. It was adorable. I ended up tearing on my labia in four different places in the front, and had to have a total of 10 stitches, but I did avoid the episiotomy. I'm not sure which is worse, honestly! The stitches hurt pretty badly. Then I started bleeding VERY heavilly and not clotting for a good 15 minutes, and the nurses and doctor were concerned for awhile but they finally were able to stop most of the flow (I did the same thing with my son).

Anyways, this was my birth story! It was a much quicker labor than my son and much easier. Now I have this beautiful little girl to show for all my effort!

Introducing...Cadence Elizabeth

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

April 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! Candence is a beauty!

April 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
4boys
Lucky you, sleeping from 5-9 cm! That's the worst part and you got to skip it! I love the line "I only screamed a little", that's funny. Congrats on your baby girl!
April 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
Congrats. She's a cutie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search