Log In Sign Up

Birth story of Ashlyn Nicolle

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Tonya_Ashlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,879
I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions most of the previous day (4/16/2008). They weren’t intense but they definitely weren’t going away. In fact, I called the doctor since they were so close together to see if we needed to go to Labor and Delivery to get checked out. At the time I didn’t know they were Braxton Hicks contractions…since I didn’t know what contractions felt like. Daddy came home not long after 4:00pm just in case we needed to head to the hospital, but since the DR said “no” we just figured it was a false alarm and go on about our day. We ate some dinner and Daddy played PlayStation. Around 11:00pm we decided to go to bed…not knowing what was about to happen a hour later…

I was sleeping when I woke up and felt weird…I knew my water was going to break before it did…(strange!) I put my hand to feel my underwear and right at that moment I felt the gush of water. I quickly jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom telling daddy/DH to wake up! My water broke at 12:40 and daddy finally got out of bed at 12:42 and was so confused. I told him to get my phone and that my water had broke. He was still half asleep and didn’t truly understand this was it! I called the hotline for the nurse to return my call which took longer than I liked since the hotline didn’t want to answer. Mommy was freaking out so much that she made Daddy give her his phone and she had both phones dialing just trying to get through. Mommy was freaking out since the water which had come out was not clear but green and she knew that baby Ashlyn had already had a bowel movement inside me…miconium.

Once the nurse on call got me on my phone she asked me basic questions and told me to head to labor and delivery. She said that they would be waiting on me and since we had a 45 minute drive it would take us some time to get there. Once Daddy finally got ready and we had everything we needed to go we moved his car and jumped in the explorer and started the journey toward the hospital. About the time we got in the car my contractions had started coming ever 5 minutes and progressively got worse. On the way to the hospital Daddy drove as quickly as he could and the nurse actually called back to make sure that the odd colored water leaking wasn’t blood. I reassured her it wasn’t and we hung up.

Upon arriving at the hospital we parked in the laboring patient’s space and slowly made our way to the elevators in the middle of a contraction. When we arrived at the nurses desk we had to sign in and we were sent to triage to make sure this was really my water which had broken.

They confirmed it and verified that the water did indeed have micoium in it so that they would have to be extra careful. The nurse who was assigned to me was nice and kept coming in and out. They hooked the heartbeat monitor on to Mommy’s belly and the contraction monitor to see what they were doing. Everytime a contraction would start or they would move the bed mommy got sick and daddy was running around trying to find a trash can so mommy could relieve herself. Unfortunately between the nauseous feeling and getting sick this also made mommy’s bowels started acting funny so I had to sit on a bed pan. I wasn’t allowed up off the bed to go to the bathroom just in case the cord prolapsed.

Around 2:20 the nurse was ready to move me to my room. I was in room #306 which was right in front of the nurse’s station at St. Vincent’s hospital on the 3rd floor. By now the contractions were coming a little harder and faster. Mommy was in real pain and could hardly concentrate. Daddy was great! He held my hand and had to remind me to breathe several times. Mommy was in so much pain she couldn’t open her eyes. The nurses realized that I was having trouble with the pain and offered a pain reliever Nubian…which I gladly excepted. Ashlyn’s heartbeat was great pretty much the entire time and was around the 120-130’s throughout the entire labor process.

Around 5:25 the anaestheologist came in and administered the epidural. It really wasn’t bad. The numbing needle hurt but I think that sitting up hurt more because of the contractions and position of baby. Once they administered the epidural with no complications I immediately felt a difference and daddy would tell me I was having a contraction but mommy couldn’t feel it. On the flip side my legs were numb and I couldn’t feel a thing except at the very top of my tummy. The nurse then allowed daddy and I to rest for an hour before coming back to recheck my cervix. We really didn’t sleep but we did lay there and relax. When the nurse came back and checked me at 7:00am I had dilated from a 4 to an 8! This surprised mommy so much she didn’t believe them. They said we would probably we ready to start pushing within the next hour and by 8:00am they were preparing the room and stirrups for mommy to start bringing Ashlyn into the world.

It took 1 hour and 1 minute before Ashlyn Nicolle had arrived. It went very fast and mommy really couldn’t feel anything…no pressure or anything so she wasn’t sure if she was actually pushing…but she was! When Ashlyn was born she wasn’t allowed to cry due to the micoium in the water so she was taken away very quickly upon daddy cutting the cord. They allowed me to see her briefly before taking her away since they needed to check her lungs asap. Her asgar scores were 6 at 1 minute and 9 at 5 minutes. They cleaned you up and daddy was able to bring Ashlyn to mommy and allow me to hold her for the first time. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT! You were prefect and everything mommy and daddy had expected. You are one of the best blessings that could have happen to us! I just want you to know how you were brought into this world and will be loved for forever!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0